• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anchor Locker Modification

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Over the course of our first year of boat ownership a few years back we tried a few different anchor types and discovered that in our local river, TN River, a richter style anchor seems to work the best. In our first boat there was no anchor locker and the anchor was stored in the port side bow storage to help with weight distribution. So when we upgraded to our 242X that is where I stuck the anchor out of habit and since it wouldn't fit through the opening of the anchor locker.

Fast forward to the 2018 boating season, and my wife would like to use the anchor locker for its intended purpose so she doesn't have to get up so that we can deploy the anchor (The port side bow seat is "Her Seat").

So I decided to make a 17lb richter anchor fit in the anchor locker.

First I masked of the area with tape before marking up the tape and cutting.
20180515_082021.jpg

Made the cut.
20180515_094954.jpg

I lined the cut edge with gaffers tape until I can find some sort of slip on seal or edging for the cutout.
20180518_140548.jpg

I decide to pad the bottom with cut up gym mats, the ones with puzzle piece edges the lock together. I used cardboard to make a template and them layered them in. I used the edging that came with the pads to make a base to support them, so that any water in the locker wouldn't get trapped underneath. I also stuck a piece on the back wall of the locker to keep the anchor from banging into it. I mocked everything up with gaffers tape to make sure it functions before I make it more permanent with spray glue or something.
20180518_140608.jpg
20180518_140622.jpg
20180518_140657.jpg
20180518_140725.jpg
20180518_140748.jpg

I left the eye sticking through the top mat and ran a ball bungee through it to strap the anchor down to keep it from bouncing around.
20180518_140914.jpg

Dropped the anchor in and everything seems to fit and sit tight once bungeed in. The bungee pulls it forward on two of the arms, so I don't feel like there is much of a chance of it bouncing around.
20180518_140856.jpg

Anchor, line and chain all in.
20180518_141519.jpg

Now my wife can keep her butt firmly planted on "Her Seat" when the anchor is being deployed.