• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Annoying throttle behavior

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2014 AR192:

I've read the other threads about "throttle drop" and this doesn't appear to be my problem. When I put the throttle in the 2nd position (TDE, still idling), it often slips back on it's own to the first position. I've increased the tension and it makes the throttle stiffer, but only past the TDE position in forward and reverse, everything in between is still really loose.

Is there another adjustment I need to make to keep the throttle from pulling back out of TDE?

Thanks in advance for any help!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. The first link shows how to adjust the cable which I have done and the adjustment is correct. The 2nd link I have read a few times and I am of the understanding that it addresses a condition where you experience an RPM drop after putting the throttle into a given position which is not the issue I am having.

Let me try to explain it in more detail:
I put the throttle into the 2nd detent with NO increase in RPMs (only utilizing TDE) and often times the throttle lever slips back to the first detent (forward no-TDE). Any other throttle position it works perfectly.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing useful to add, but kickass avatar you got there @camoto !

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. The first link shows how to adjust the cable which I have done and the adjustment is correct. The 2nd link I have read a few times and I am of the understanding that it addresses a condition where you experience an RPM drop after putting the throttle into a given position which is not the issue I am having.

Let me try to explain it in more detail:
I put the throttle into the 2nd detent with NO increase in RPMs (only utilizing TDE) and often times the throttle lever slips back to the first detent (forward no-TDE). Any other throttle position it works perfectly.
I see. Do you have the service manual, maybe there is something else that can be adjusted? (Im thinking aloud, don't mean to be annoying!)

camoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately I don't. It's strange to me that the friction adjustment only affects forward of TDE.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the AR190 one, shoot me a PM with your email if you want I can pdf a copy to you. Not sure it would be helpful...

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same issue with my 15 AR190. Only when idling in TDE 2nd detent the lever drops back to neutral. This happens when I am utilizing the No Wake mode also.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like something for the dealer to fix. The dealer won't be able to work on the boat without being able to reproduce the symptom and get approval from Yamaha. My advice is to take video of this happening before you bring it in to the dealer so that they don't waste your time when they take your boat out for a water test and don't find anything wrong. I've used this approach with my dealer and eventually built some trust with them so that they use my video and/or pics as the basis for their warranty claim.