• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Magma Grill post

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
ok....Here's the deal.

My wife has been pushing me to get a grill for our boat. I know..I know..:shamefullyembarrased: She's pushing me? and I write that knowing my man card is about to be removed LOL. Only thing is I agree it would be nice but it's another thing for ME to have to take care of and clean while everyone else is having a good time.

So, can I get any feedback, good and bad, regarding the hassle and actual use of the grill. How often do you guys really use it, storage, cleaning, etc

Also, I gotta say figuring out the mount is draining my brains capacity for logic. It's not the easiest item to figure out and buy.

I have a 2014 242 LS with an extra table mount pole so I want to obliviously use that. Does the Magma T10-375 mount work for that or is there something else. Honestly its the most confusing thing to buy this grill for some reason.

Oh, I'm looking at the Magma Cabo.

Thanks guys!

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_2773.JPG IMG_2754.JPG We have the Cabo grill. We use in nearly everyday we're on the water. I had the Kettle 2 before this one and loved that one too, just seemed a little small.
It stores nicely under the starboard side rear seat.
For cleaning I just set it up when I'm cleaning the boat and hose it out.
To me it's not a hassle. I enjoy sitting out back with a cold drink cooking...

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
DO IT! I just got a ChefsMate with a T10-327 mount, and used it for the first time yesterday. Family loved having the grill and cleanup was a breeze.

Consider putting it on the bow since the kids like to play off the back and there is a lot of traffic back there.

20170611_172321.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have the Magma Chefs Mate grill that I added a front face temp prob and gauge to, just like the more expensive versions of their grill. I have to say I have enjoyed the grill less than most of the reports here. It flames up easily. I keep a spray bottle of water handy to put out the flames on a regular basis. I try to keep it clean too and find it isn't easy to keep clean. I line the drip tray with foil so I can just remove that, but the interior of the grill gets pretty sooted up and I try to keep the grease clear so it won't drip out of the grill in storage. I use it in the motorhome more than I ever did the boat, but it is basically the same. Of course using on land or a picnic table means I use the legs instead of the support for the tube but same same. I think if I didn't have over $300 in this grill with accessories and storage case, I would look more seriously at the Weber Q series. The coated cast iron plates clean up easily and they certainly impart better grill marks on the meat. I haven't cooked with one, but I discounted it at first because of regulator concerns with my low pressure propane from the coach. But I never decided to use that low pressure access as the small bottles are just too convenient. The big advantage of the Magma IMO, is that it is stainless steel and it has no bulk making it lighter weight. If I could contain the flame-ups more easily, I would be a happy camper. I regret not getting the infrared model as I think maybe it would be self correcting. My grill hasn't had much use, I used it on the boat only once and never did use the mount as I didn't want the grease in the boat, so I just used it on the beach. In the motorhome, I have used it maybe a dozen times. I bought the stainless table extension, the griddle, and the fish surface too. Its a good grill, I just haven't found a way to prevent flame ups and we don't even cook meats that are heavy with fat.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_2697.JPG

IMG_2699.JPG
We have the Catalina 2 and have it used it twice this season.

1st use: We inserted a Pow'r grip into the table leg and cooked off the swim deck. Due to the boat motion, some grease did drip out of the grease trap and land on the swim deck. I was able to completely clean it off with de-greaser. I dont have any pictures of the set up in action since I had to be completely focused on cooking (grease spillage!)

This is the mount we used to attach the grill to the table leg. http://www.iboats.com/Magma-Pow-r-Grip-LeveLock-Adjustable-Rod-Holder-Mount-Grill-Mounting-Hardware/dm/view_id.673999?mkwid=sq5UH2Sqg&crid=41829038899&mp_kw=&mp_mt=&pdv=c&cm_mmc=Google_Main-_-Mall+New+Shopping:Google-_-All+Products:Mall+New+Shopping:Google-_-PLAs&gclid=CK7aqMKquNQCFUiHswodH-gHzg

2nd use: Was this past weekend. We cooked with the grill off the boat on the sandbar. MUCH more enjoyable experience all around. We weren't trapped on the boat while others were on the sand bar. We cooked around all the action. And I didn't care if grease dripped.

I must say these Magma grills work excellent! Even with high wind gusts, the flame never went out. The grill cools off quickly and is very easy to clean. Very even cook i must add.

Edit: added pictures of the grill using the pow'r grip mounted off the swim deck.
Edit: Catalina grill not Cabo grill.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have a look at the pictures in this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/magma-cabo-grill-looking-good-after-one-year-of-heavy-use.5654/

Our Cabo has three summers of heavy use and still looks the same.

I am curious what Mel grills to get his so dirty or perhaps he is grilling at a lower temperature than I do.

I generally do not grill burgers in ours due to the mess they make. I did let a friend do so for a party of 9 last year when he wanted to bring lunch. I have grilled lamb many times which is particularly fatty making a mess out of the grill. But I have never had build up in the grill or a fire.

I would guess our Cabo gets used once a week all summer and once or more per day during our 5 to 12 days per summer in Bimini.

Typically I grill a lot of steak, shish-ka-bobs, veggies and hot dogs.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce , it's not the grease
That bothers me as much as the flame ups. We never cook burgers or should say rarely. Even tenderloin and fish gets flare ups. It's weird almost.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I had the same experience with my magma as mel. Burner gave up during year 3. Bought the weber, no problems with it, cooks much better.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce , it's not the grease
That bothers me as much as the flame ups. We never cook burgers or should say rarely. Even tenderloin and fish gets flare ups. It's weird almost.
I wonder if you are cooking two filets centered in the grill over the burner shield while I typically cook four with a gap over the shield.

The Magma Cabo certainly is not as good as a 6 burner Weber but is very nice to have on the boat.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
For anyone with the Weber, do you mount it in the boat or take it ashore to cook?

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
20150523_155720-1.jpg
Can do both. My grill isn't mounted anywhere. Normally I nose up to the beach and grill just like in the pic but turned facing the beach, or waist deep in the water with grill on swim deck.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce , I know where my hot spots are. It really is crazy as good a little grill as it is, that I can't seem to avoid the flare ups. It is also pretty hard to control the temp for a steady oven temp. I have a C-clamp that I attach to the front edge with the lid open, and it keeps is cracked open around the edge and front about a 1/4"-1/2" to keep a steady temp around 300F. I cooked a casserole...NO FLARE-UPS with that!

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
what do you guys think of the weber grill idea? It would be a lot cheaper, what's the downside? Not as stable?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what's the downside?
The Weber is larger and heavier.

I love Webers. I have one at my house and my old one at my parents. But I have not seen a Weber product that compares to the conveinence of a $150 Magma Cabo

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Love our Magma grill.
Easy cook easy clean...

Just do it!

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Well I've said this before and I really mean it...you guys are enablers LOL ;)

Anyone know the difference of the Cabo vs Chefs Mate?

West Marine website says the Chefs Mate has folding legs and a temp gauge but I can't find any pic of it with the gauge. Leaning towards the Chefs Mate now since its on sale and really can't tell the difference.

I say thanks " With tongue in cheek" to you enablers :winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Mine didn't have a temp gauge but it does have folding legs. They may have added the temp gauge in the last year or so. I added one myself but it is hard to get the temp stable side to side anyway. There is a gap on the back between the cover and the grill base box, and any breeze will affect the temps on the grid.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Mine didn't have a temp gauge but it does have folding legs. They may have added the temp gauge in the last year or so. I added one myself but it is hard to get the temp stable side to side anyway. There is a gap on the back between the cover and the grill base box, and any breeze will affect the temps on the grid.
Thats what I was worried about. West Marine website says it has a thermometer but non of the other sites do... Like you, I thought maybe it was part of a newer model. And I doubt it accuracy of it great, like you say, but it would be good for an estimate while using.

I appreciate you input @txav8r