• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anti corrosion silicone spray question

McMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you guys spray down or coat your engines with something like fluid film to keep down the corrosion?

A list of what to coat, especially for salt water use would be pretty handy I think.

:thumbsup:

I use Boeshield T-9 to coat the engines, jet pumps, steering cables, and gate cables before going into saltwater.

Are you coating the whole engine, manifolds, etc?

Are you coating the whole engine, manifolds, etc?
The engine gets a very minimal coating and yes I spray everything. The jet pump and cables get a heavy coating because this is what is actually going to come in contact with salt water. The engine are more of a precaution in case of a water leak and the exposure of the small amount of salt in the air.

I spray on a film of white lithium grease on everything, engine, hose clamps, cables, pump etc. it works great considering all I do is salt water and I go out on the water 2 or 3 and days a week all year long.

Would this work on the bunkers for lift and trailers as well instead of the silicon spray?

Would this work on the bunkers for lift and trailers as well instead of the silicon spray?

I personally wouldn't use a silicone spray on the bunks....remember, your hull lives on those bunk boards and constant exposure to the silicone "could" create issues.

While I have no personal experience - because I don't do it - I did read of a boater who had religiously used silicone spray on his bunks and eventually found blisters in the gel coat where the boat rested on the bunks. His theory was that the silicone must have trapped moisture and ultimately osmosis occurred and the moisture permeated the gel coat and created blisters.

I just remember to dunk the trailer as deep as possible to get the bunks wet during launch and retrieval. If you must use something on hot spots that may form on the carpeted bunks, I might suggest rubbing some of the same wax you use on your hull - but be sure to clean the carpet first and again from time to time. Take the trailer (no boat) to the carwash, vacuum the boards then use the high pressure rinse.

I was amazed at how much sand I once vacuumed off the bunks with a small shop vac I have. :cool:

Thanks for the information. I thought the silicon was a common product to put on the bunks to help the boat slide. I sure don't want to harm the boat hull.

I use T-9 (and sometimes YamaLube) on both engines, clamps, everything. I use T-9 on my trailer bolts/clamps/springs.

***Also, you need to get under your swim platform and spray T-9 (or whatever you decide to use) and spray down the twenty something clamps that are under there holding down the hoses, tubes, and such. Last year I found rusted and broken clamps under there. I've since changed all of them out with SS Clamps and coated with T-9.

I use T-9 (and sometimes YamaLube) on both engines, clamps, everything. I use T-9 on my trailer bolts/clamps/springs.

***Also, you need to get under your swim platform and spray T-9 (or whatever you decide to use) and spray down the twenty something clamps that are under there holding down the hoses, tubes, and such. Last year I found rusted and broken clamps under there. I've since changed all of them out with SS Clamps and coated with T-9.
Is this where the access plugs are for the pumps? I read somewhere here a guy has some serious leakage problems because all his clamps rusted. I'd like to replace mine with SS.

Is this where the access plugs are for the pumps? I read somewhere here a guy has some serious leakage problems because all his clamps rusted. I'd like to replace mine with SS.

That's correct @Noko. I replaced all mine with SS and then hit em with some T-9.

Here is the access.

2015-05-21 20.43.39.jpg

Back