• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any 2010-2014 240 issues ?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at buying a used 240 in a couple months , wondering what issues I need to look for when buying a 240 that I might be overlooking ? And what would scare people away from a salt water used boat , if the price was right I would not mind a salt water used boat if it was properly flushed after use , or should I rethink that ?

I know the oil cooler bolt can break off I think that was an issue I was told about. As for the salt water use I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used boat that was a salt water boat. Look for the obvious signs of neglect on a salt water boat as its a little more in dept then just flushing. If they didn't rinse the engines or engine compartment after salt use you may notice a lot of rusted hose clamps and throttle cables. The hose clamps I would replace all if they showed these signs as they literally will just rust and fall apart at some point. Even then if the price is right I wouldn't hold back just know it is an added cost you will have to figure in. This also may sound strange but higher hours in salt water boat sometimes is better then less. Less hours if they were not flush and shows signs of not properly being rinsed I may avoid as that likely means they have let salt sit in the engine for extended periods as there will be a salt residue left over.

I have a 2013 240 and have had zero problems in the full two years we have had it.
It has not been in saltwater.
I see us having it many more years.

To my knowledge from countless threads of research the oil cooler bolt issue is only on 201o , 242 and 240.

No other issues with mine at all. 300+ hours.

I agree with the above. I too boat exclusively in salt water and I make sure to wash the boat and flush the engines. Only issues I've had (at least I can think of off the top of my head) are the hose clamps. I'm talking about the hose clamps under the swim platform. I found some that had broken off and were laying in my bilge. So I replaced all of them (about 20) with SS clamps and sprayed them down with T-9. I checked them the other day and they still look great.

Oh and @sx210owner I should clarify I don't have the 240, but was speaking from experience of the salt water issue. I should have mentioned that.

Not really an issue... But if you don't have a tall enough storage space, the non folding tower on the older 240's can be a little bit of a pain. ( trust me on this I have experience. :()

Chalk me up for another AR240 with no issues. Tower on my year does fold (and I need to do that each time--no issues).

Only 1 summer so far on my recent purchase (2011 ar240) and it runs great! My tower doesn't fold so just be prepared for the added height. I also second the comment about the oil bolts, the issue was limited to 2010 240s, search the forum and you'll find out exactly how to tell if the boat you're looking at needs the bolt replaced.

Regarding the oil cooler bolts, it affects all 2010 models of the 24' boats as well as some early 2011 models (including mine). It is not a cheap repair and the forum is split on proactive measures that can/should be taken. I have not had problems with mine yet and I have around 100 hours on the boat. I keep a very close eye on them and inspect them before and after every outing. If I were in your shoes, I would not exclude a 2010-2011 model, but understand what to look for to know if they have been replaced with the newer oil cooler. If they haven't been replaced, you will want to work the cost to replace them into your offer as it appears it is only a matter of time before they fail.

Back