• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any California Boaters on here?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. I’m about to take the boat out for the first time this season to orwood resort on the delta near discovery bay. They have some cabins, maybe three, on site for rent next to their slips/boat ramp. I will check them out today, I’ve never really considered them because it’s only an hour or so away from my home so it’s more cost effective for me to drive home than camp there.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Thanks. I’m about to take the boat out for the first time this season to orwood resort on the delta near discovery bay. They have some cabins, maybe three, on site for rent next to their slips/boat ramp. I will check them out today, I’ve never really considered them because it’s only an hour or so away from my home so it’s more cost effective for me to drive home than camp there.
My extended family loves Orwood. They go there exclusively.

kicksavedave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just got done with renting a boat on Clear Lake a couple days ago (June 17/18, 2021) and can confirm the lake is stinky and green with algae and weeds. Talked to a few other locally who said this is the worst its ever been, with the mega drought and heat wave this past week. Current water level was ~4 feet below normal, but the whole lake was accessible. Not enough green junk to clog the boat (SX230 rental) but felt like it would be a real problem soon if it gets any worse. Apart from the stink and green film, the boating was fun, lots to explore especially the lower lake area, and very few boaters so no wakes, very smooth. Would love to come back there when the algae and weeds are gone.

Lots of places to rent right on the lakefront, from cottages, RV spots, houses or condos. Some seedy areas and some nicer areas, but pretty affordable overall.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I just got done with renting a boat on Clear Lake a couple days ago (June 17/18, 2021) and can confirm the lake is stinky and green with algae and weeds. Talked to a few other locally who said this is the worst its ever been, with the mega drought and heat wave this past week. Current water level was ~4 feet below normal, but the whole lake was accessible. Not enough green junk to clog the boat (SX230 rental) but felt like it would be a real problem soon if it gets any worse. Apart from the stink and green film, the boating was fun, lots to explore especially the lower lake area, and very few boaters so no wakes, very smooth. Would love to come back there when the algae and weeds are gone.

Lots of places to rent right on the lakefront, from cottages, RV spots, houses or condos. Some seedy areas and some nicer areas, but pretty affordable overall.
I stopped boating there years ago because of the water conditions

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Interesting, is it always green/stinky? Year round?
I don’t remember it being so stinky, but lots of algae in the summer. Nobody wanted to ski or swim in it. They have tried to improve the conditions for years. From what I understand, the lake is somewhat shallow, contributing to the algae growth. I spent my teenage summers there and swam all the time. When I was older and had my first boat, that’s when it was really noticeable. Mostly near the shoreline, and lots if tullies.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve only driven by clear lake but my friends who have been on it confirmed for many years that it smells and that algae is a problem there. I recall reading about an alleged cover up involving the local sheriff who alleged ramped his Baja while drunk killing a passenger on a sailboat. It was so bad that even boat u.s. started a campaign to raise money for the legal defense of the sail boat owner. I don’t know the final outcome of the case but swore I would never boat there. But for the grace of God, it’s my boat that gets hit, my loved one killed by a local official and I’m the one who gets blamed for it.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m temporarily moving my boat to San Jose for the next weeks and will do weekend trips - what levels are low - what lakes does anyone currently recommend for day trips right now in the central-NorCal area? Any good marinas and launch ramps - suggestions welcomed.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately there are no boatable lakes near San Jose and water levels at the lakes are low everywhere this year. For example, lake oroville near. Chico (about three hours away from SJ) is only 35% full, not good since it’s the 2nd or 3rd largest reservoir in the state.

That said lake tullock is always full, something about it being managed by the federal government not the state. I think tullock sucks generally because it’s small and there is no good places to anchor and hang out.

lake Berryessa is about 1.5 hours out and is usually nice, big and warm weather/water but I’m sure it’s low as well. If you decide to check it out call markley cove or steel cove marina first just to make sure they have a boat ramp open.

lake Comanche and new lake hogan are basically across the street from eachother and are about 2.5 hours from sj. Comanche water level is low, I just came back from a camping trip there and won’t go back there again this season. Just too low to tube safely, lots of exposed earth / sands bars right now as well.

modesto reservoir has always been a favorite of mine, again 2 hrs from SJ and always low but it’s small size makes it nice for jet boats which are usually the biggest vessels on the water there. We will be there at the end of this month. Boat and tube near the damn and everything is fine.

travel 30 minutes further and you will hit lake don Pedro and lake mcclure. I haven’t been there this season but have no doubt the water levels are low there, still boatable as the lakes are huge.

a little north east is new Melones. Big lake near gold country. I don’t know about the water levels I have not been there in years.

if all else fails, the rivers that make up the Sacramento delta are good places to boat. If you want to hit Sacramento (north) for the day or a few launch out of Brannon island. If you want to check out the discovery bay, Stockton area launch out Of orwood marina resort in Knightsen/ Byron/Brentwood.

fair warning most lakes conduct mussel inspections so make sure your boat/bilge and exhaust are dry.

Closer to home and if you don’t mind boating in salt water (v brackish water for the rivers and fresh water for the lakes) consider boating out of San Leandro to get to SF, Sausalito, Oakland and Berkeley. Actually you can access the Sacramento delta from SF bay but I would not recommend it unless you like boating through a lot of dead space.

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I can speak to Berryessa, I have been there 4 times already. The launch ramp at Markley Cove doesn't have any cleats, so if you launch there you'll have to power off and on. The parking is somewhat minimal, they basically burned to the ground last year. The ramp at Pleasure Cove is super steep and the docks are very tall. They have ramps to the docks, so you can't jump from your trailer to the dock. It's a PIA to launch there especially if you are solo. The best place to launch is Steele Canyon IMO. The ramp is steep but the docks are nice. Make sure to use the lane that isn't loaded with gravel and dirt. My rig started sliding. Not sure why they don't clean it off. Last time out there was still pavement at the bottom of the ramp. Putah Creek seems to be a viable option as well, but it's at the upper end of the lake. If you go to Berryessa during the week it's pretty empty and the water stays nice until about 2 pm. My next trip will be to Pedro. Haven't been there in 30 years. As a side note, I live on the Delta, but won't launch in salt water. Not yet anyway.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info @RobbieO , we may be headed to Berryessa this weekend unless my crew doesn’t want to handle the drive in which cas we will probably end up at orwood/skiers beach.

I was almost certain that the rivers near antioch / Brannon island were mostly fresh water as opposed to brackish water until I saw a news story last week showing that they are moving levee walls around near antioch /Brannon island to keep slat water from getting too far up stream. It’s a bigger problem this year because of the drought/not enough snow run off to push/keep the salt water back. Still near Sacramento the water is fresh especially at old Sacramento where the American river ends/merges into the Sacramento River.

Last edited:

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the update. Just finished 5 days at Tulloch - family trip with the relatives every year where we rent a house. Yes - small lake but full - always (regulated by Army Core of Engineers or something) - during the week its empty so we got a lot of fun in and great temperature. One of the few places you can get a home and dock right on the water in California.

I checked out New Melones yesterday - good looking lake - normally, but so depressing low and empty - like 125 feet low. Don Pedro - great lake - we could always go there - and I did last year (although I'm like 20 minutes from there staying at Tulloch - want to mix it up)
So Comanche is too low ??- bummer - was hoping to go there next weekend for the day (its been like 15 years since I've been there)
I haven't done Berryessa - my wife used to back in the 80s/90s next Saturday.
We did discovery bay last year - really nice - although kids were spoiled with the blue water of Don Pedro and LakeMead/Powell.

I want to avoid salt/brackish water - because i'm selling my painted trailer (2016 shorlander) as I ordered a customer Pacific Trailer Galvanized which is coming in at the end of the month so I can do salt/brackish water starting in August.

(Anyone want to buy a painted trailer 2016 24' shorlander - radial tires, fully serviced BTW?)

So - its either Berryessa - I hear Modesto Reservoir - maybe New Hogan?

Later in July - going to Shasta - already paid for a large nice houseboat - i know its low - but always wanted to go. . .
Any advice also appreciated.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I forgot to mention San Luis reservoir, I’ve never boated there but it is relatively close to SJ.

If you don’t mind the drive, hit New Bullards Bar Reservoir. It’s close to lake Oroville. If you think Don Pedro water is blue you may be pleasantly surprised by the water at Bullards Bar.
7C9D1C21-8AB4-4734-B7D6-C1442887F884.png0CF44EE1-E4E7-4F61-9155-DBBC220C9EEA.pngEDCD9BED-FAE3-44AF-9B85-C40112A83EF5.jpeg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Thanks for the update. Just finished 5 days at Tulloch - family trip with the relatives every year where we rent a house. Yes - small lake but full - always (regulated by Army Core of Engineers or something) - during the week its empty so we got a lot of fun in and great temperature. One of the few places you can get a home and dock right on the water in California.

I checked out New Melones yesterday - good looking lake - normally, but so depressing low and empty - like 125 feet low. Don Pedro - great lake - we could always go there - and I did last year (although I'm like 20 minutes from there staying at Tulloch - want to mix it up)
So Comanche is too low ??- bummer - was hoping to go there next weekend for the day (its been like 15 years since I've been there)
I haven't done Berryessa - my wife used to back in the 80s/90s next Saturday.
We did discovery bay last year - really nice - although kids were spoiled with the blue water of Don Pedro and LakeMead/Powell.

I want to avoid salt/brackish water - because i'm selling my painted trailer (2016 shorlander) as I ordered a customer Pacific Trailer Galvanized which is coming in at the end of the month so I can do salt/brackish water starting in August.

(Anyone want to buy a painted trailer 2016 24' shorlander - radial tires, fully serviced BTW?)

So - its either Berryessa - I hear Modesto Reservoir - maybe New Hogan?

Later in July - going to Shasta - already paid for a large nice houseboat - i know its low - but always wanted to go. . .
Any advice also appreciated.
I've been to Shasta numerous times. Keep in mind the shoreline stays muddy because they usually lower the lake everyday, so the beaches rarely dry out. Keep that in mind if you beach the houseboat. You may have to drag it off. I have no idea what is going on at Shasta this year, but I have experience there. My cousin owns a house on the McCloud arm. Beautiful up that way.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok - I'm planning on Berryessa for next weekend - seems like safest bet, its still a big lake, and its only a 2 hour drive. Then off to Shasta in 2weeks with the houseboat. Hopefully the fires are done by then. . . .
I'll check out the McCloud arm - and be sure to watch the dropping water levels for the houseboat. Any other advice on Shasta is much appreciated!

thx

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There are a couple of us that do Berryessa on Saturdays. Usually launch around 10 at Steele Canyon. Never had a problem with them filling up.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lake Berryessa was a pleasant surprise. Even though it was 109-110F, the water levels weren't as low as I feared (nothing like what I saw at New Melones which was at least 102+feet down - maybe more - law week.). Water temp was very warm - 83F to 88F!. Some chop up on the middle of the wide part, but other than that, found some good water for skiing and tubing.

In fact, thanks to the advice I received from the thread, we used the Marina launch at Pleasure Cova Marina and it was actually easy. (no line, pretty good angle - seriously - was expecting a complete shitshow and it was uneventful other than squeezing in some space to park the trailer.
The lake didn't even feel crowded - plenty of room and we took it all the way to the northern end and had a lot of lake all to ourselves.

Driving up the 121/128 north from Cordelia was a bitch, so on the way out, we went west on the 128 to the 505 via Vacaville- much nice driver and very scenic. I was wondering if there is a launch ramp from Markley Cove Resort - easier drive in, but knowing how bad the lake situation is here in California/Western US - it was a great day.

Again - good day boating and now have Berryessa on our favorite lakes.

Off to Shasta in 2 weeks.

Demo

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. I’d like to get on lake Berryessa at least once this season. Markley cove’s ramp is usually open, they just keep moving it down when necessary, it may be a dirt ramp by now. It’s my preferred ramp since I like to take the 505 through Winters, much easier drive and you can still so last minute shopping / fueling in winters. The only problem I’ve had with markley cove is there isn’t much parking the last two or three times I went, last season, I had to park outside , up the road between a half mile to a mile out, really sucks on a 100 degre plus day. Still I’m glad you had a good experience there. Hopefully Shasta is just as good or better.

oroville is supposed to close its last ramp next weekend.
folsom can’t be far behind.

its been a tough the last two seasons, first the pandemic and now the drought.
Things can only get better right?

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were at Berryessa on Sat. Very slow...not sure if the heat scared people away. I did see that Markley now has a second asphalt ramp close to the fuel docks.