• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any Idea how long wear rings should last in lat model yamaha jet boats?

ReggieCFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I was told by a mechanic over the phone I may need a new wear ring because the engine is reming appropriately but is not hitting top speed. Any idea how long these things should last? It seems kind of strange as it only has about 120 hours on it.

You can wear out an impeller or wear ring in one outing, it all depends if you suck up any debris or sand, mud, etc..
If you are careful you can go years and years without ever needing one

Our wear rings are stainless steel and don't really "wear" out unless you have ingested some crazy stuff or have cavitation eating away at it. Even then, the impeller will likely take some of the brunt of it and get nicks on it .
One thing that can happen is swelling of the wear ring and it creates a high spot that hits the impeller which will cause some cavitation. If you are in doubt, pull your pump and check for clearance between your impeller/wear ring and also check both for nicks, etc.. That will let you know for sure.

I had a wear ring go bad this season same year boat same hours . It started making noise on the first start up of the season I took it apart ordered a new oem then sanded down the high spots waiting for the oem that is still not in 4 month later. Re assembled used it for about 6 runs then it swelled again and I could see a burn mark. So just replaced it with the plastic liner type its very easy to install

20210723_111405.jpg
20210723_111416.jpg

Back