• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any advice? Bad purchase experience with a Michigan dealer

mjun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I finally purchased a new 195FSH from a Michigan dealer I contacted on this forum. I asked him to save a cover for my 4 hour trip back home but on the day of the pick up he told me he threw it away and that it would not have fit because of the tower anyway. He reassured me it would be fine to drive home as is. He also told me all the cushions were stowed in the head locker for the trip and that everything was checked during PDI.
Imagine my surprise when I noticed a floormat was missing and a passenger side cushion was nowhere to be found.
6C33D0DD-1AB0-4A72-9085-07147A4231D7_1_105_c.jpeg
0F6A3485-133A-4DE4-BA64-1119A2F1D20F_1_105_c.jpeg
He was quick to respond before the purchase but it took a couple of days of phone calls, e-mails and text messages before he finally texted me saying he would look into it.
I also noticed that the tip of jet spray was missing something and would not fit together and the small trim in the battery compartment had a crack. When I start the engine, it shuts right off throwing a low fuel warning. I would not have been surprised if he had not told me the boat would have a quarter tank of gas on delivery. I also find the T-top cover full of stains and a large glue stain in the floor of the head locker. The tires on the trailer are underinflated and the straps from shipping are still attached to the trailer. Is this the kind of PDI I can expect from a Yamaha dealer?
CAA032BB-F7F8-4729-8A9A-56D035D74CC1_4_5005_c.jpeg54064983-6EB5-4ECA-BD88-81C67D77EBD9_4_5005_c.jpegBBFAA9F4-A4BE-4505-991C-6E4261BB190C_1_105_c.jpeg
After another week, he finally texted me saying his security camera showed the boat had the floor mat when I left the dealer. I cannot recall if the floor mat was there when I picked it up. The boat is missing a clip that holds the floormat, so I suppose it is possible it may have flown off during the trip.
Since he was the one who told me to drive the boat with the floor mat, I was expecting him to discuss how the floor mat and other issues would be addressed but instead he has stopped all communications. He never answers my phone calls, does not return my voice mails and does not return my texts. It has now been over 2 weeks since his last text despite my repeated attempts. I have not received a single phone call despite him texting me he would do so shortly. Is this the kind of customer service I can expect from the manager at one of the largest Yamaha dealership?
Any advice on how I should address this issue would be welcome.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1st tell us the name of the dealer and the manager you are trying to contact,

next, If that guy really is the manager I'd try to find out who the owner is and start bugging him

I'd also ask for security cam footage of the boat leaving the lot to confirm the mat was there, it should be easy enough for him to grab a screen shot showing the date/time

then I'd start a facebook and twitter post,

the dealer did do a lot wrong but you driving off not knowing if everything was secure inside is on you,

I hope your first outing goes fine and you don't discover any other issues,

If we've learned anything here it's that make sure you boat is acceptable before you take possession because after that, even warranty issues can be a pain to deal with,

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Which dealer was it and what was the persons name you have been dealing with?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Which dealer was it and what was the persons name you have been dealing with?
Well Scott beat me to it by seconds and was much more thorough.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Name the dealer.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The op said he contacted the dealer from this forum. Wonderland is the only dealer that comes to mind from here

InTooDeep

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
None of these issues seem overly expensive for a dealer to resolve, or at least work with you to resolve. If the customer service following the deal is as you’ve described, you’re well within in your right to call them out and warn others.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My shipping cover (2023 fsh 195) was torn and unusable. This allowed some dirt and grime from the trip to get into the boat. Boat was cleaned by the Mechanics that assembled the boat and did my electronics install.

Your dealer is correct, once the tower is installed the shipping cover will not fit.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So which dealer. And if it was @Wonderland Marine ? Were you dealing with Ryan? Whom is the manager in Waterford?

Did you not fully inspect the boat when you picked it up? Did you not make sure everything was secure? Did you take any pictures yourself?

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the first thing is, for the good of the dealership itself AND other members or potential buyers, is to name the dealership and who you dealt with. If this is truly problematic but you're not willing to put a name to those that caused it, then it's not actionable information.

It's not what should be expected, but by the info from your very own words, blame does not lie 100% with them.

Stories abound on the forum here about the cover of the FSH boats and towing, and @FSH 210 Sport seems to have found an aftermarket solution, at least for storage.

Towing for 4 hours seems like a reason to at least go over things that may not be fastened down the best before taking off, but also seems like a dealer would go over the boat with you as well.

Many things are going on, I hope you get things settled.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Might be a dump and run member. Vent, ask some advice and not respond to the many responses

mjun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Thank you for all the comments.
Yes, it was Ryan from Wonderland Marine West.
I messaged him the link to this post and still no response. I know he checks messages because he quickly answered all my questions I sent on this forum prior to the purchase.

I tried to find the owner of the dealership as advised. It turns out one of the owner's family member works as the sales manager at one of the location. I called him and to his credit he called me back and advised me to contact the general manager, Kevin McGillis. I left the general manager a couple of voice mails and an e-mail yesterday and today.
No response from him either.

I guess I was naive to trust the dealer. It was my first boat purchase. It was a rainy day and I had a long drive back home. It was my first time towing anything so I wanted to return home before it got too dark.

The floor mat can fly off during the drive and mistakes like forgetting to include a cushion can happen.
What upsets me more than anything is their lack of response. They are completely ignoring all my calls, e-mails and texts.
I don't know how you can settle anything, when they are not willing to talk at all.
Not a single phone call from the dealer since the pick up.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems Very Odd. I purchased from Ryan and know him quite well. See him at all the boat shows and wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again, which I will once the Admiral gives me the final approval. I have also referred dozens if not more people to him directly and have not heard one complaint. Have found him to be honest and straight shooter, until I hear otherwise.

I believe their Howell branch is the main one, perhaps reach out to them there. Perhaps there is something else going on.

Also I would wait till next week to see if you get a response back. People are out because of the Holiday. If you don't get any movement by the end of next week, let me know and I will drive up to Wonderland and drop and see if I can't get things moving for you.

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Wonderland Marine sold us our FSH190(used) and the prep/delivery guy did a pretty good job going over everything with me. He helped me stow the Bimini prior to leaving and found straps to secure it for travel. All of the pads were either removed or stowed prior to leaving the lot too-I am too paranoid about stuff coming off on these MI roads. My boat didn't come with that pad. My guess it is a common loss item at highway speeds. I have read either in the manual, JBP, or the forums here to remove that mat during tow.

I try not to leave anything not tied down or secured in our FSH as it self cleans the interior while running down the road.

Best wishes for a favorable solution. Perhaps with the holiday weekend coming up they may have already been on vacation?

mjun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I don't know if it is common for the floor mats to fly off. I am new to boating. I can only take advice from someone who is more knowledgeable. He told me it would be fine to drive with the floor mats but that he stored all the cushions in the helm locker because they can fly off.

There has been zero response over the last 2 weeks. When I call the dealer, they tell me either he is with a client or is in the office and transfer the call but he does not answer. I left messages asking him to call back but he does not call back. I text him what is going on, but he just ignores my texts.

He should know I posted on this forum, but still no response. I think his silence speaks volumes.
He can prove me wrong and is welcome to respond to this post.

I will see if the general manager eventually gets back to me.

Wonderland Marine

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have pride in my reputation as well as the dealership we run. Lets clear a few things up and hopefully this customer will be more honest.

He did get a walkthrough on TWO different occasions, once (he came with his family to view and inspect) but also upon pickup a run through in boat with myself personally and he signed off on a dated delivery check sheet (also on HD cameras both in the boat)He was also advised to remove all items before traveling on final pickup.

I was contacted a day later & was told the mat and cushion were Never in the boat at pickup . Once I told the customer about the camera review showing otherwise it changed to they were in the boat and “blew out”

I have a photos in the boat of the wash down hose nozzle in perfect shape yet 5 days later its broken. The cover was BRAND NEW in the box taped but almost 4 weeks later im contacted sayn its stained or what looks like bird poop.

even after his dishonesty I did offer to order and ship items at cost. Contact has stopped because the customer wants to continue to go in circles. Yes mistakes will be made as a new boater but not at the dealership’s expense.

Last edited:

mjun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I am glad this post has at least gotten your attention, Ryan.
I am also glad there is an outlet like this forum and I am thankful for the members who responded to and viewed this post.

Ryan, I would not be here posting if you had sent me a single text or made a single phone call in the last 2 1/2 weeks. I have been very patient and respectful in all my communications until you stopped communicating altogether without any explanation.

Yes. I did see the boat before I signed the purchase agreement but the boat was not prepped at that time. The cushions nor floormats were in place at that time. I remember looking at the cover in front of the helm that is not visible with the floormat. That is why I initially thought the cover may not have been there when I picked it up. When you said the security camera showed the floor mat, I said it was possible that it may have flown off during the drive home because that was the only other possible explanation. I realized it was possible I was remembering the time when I saw the boat the first time and not the day I picked it up.

You gave no explanation about the missing cushion or the hose nozzle in pieces. The cushion could not have flown away during the drive as they were stored in the helm locker. I believe the hose nozzle was in two pieces in the livewell when you showed it to me the day of the pick up. I never said it was broken. I said it appeared to be missing something in the middle because it wasn't fitting together. The photo was taken 3 days after pickup and sent to you the next day.

I have yet to take the boat on water and thus have never used the spray hose. How can I break something that was never used? It is insulting to think you are implying I am making all this up. Are you also saying I sprayed the glue in the helm and cracked the plastic trim in the battery compartment on purpose?

The cover you are talking about is the mooring cover. The photo I posted is the T-top cover that was inside the helm locker. You or whoever that did PDI would have known that.

You said you did offer to order and ship the items at cost. Maybe you wanted to say it when you texted me you would call back 2 1/2 weeks ago but never did. There was zero communication.

If I remember correctly, you made me sign the delivery checklist before I had a chance to get on the boat. If you have the security camera, you can check it yourself. Or better yet, please send the whole footage of you showing me the boat and me signing the checklist.

You never told me to remove any items before the travel. You told me all the removable cushions were in the locker and that it would be safe to travel as is. You knew I was new to boating and had a long drive home.

You said I continue to go in circles, but I have just been running into a wall.
There can be misunderstanding especially when there is lack of communication. I am not perfect and I am willing to own up to my mistakes if there are any. But, you are very quick to accuse someone of dishonesty without any proof.

"He who blames others has a long way to go on his journey. He who blames himself is halfway there. He who blames no one has arrived"

I have a long way to go on my journey, but your journey seems longer still.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Another thing my Dad always told me as a youngster, “There’s ALWAYS two sides to the story”. Nice to see the other side of the story.

mjun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
There’s two sides to the story, but there can only be ONE truth. I am a reasonable person and I always seek peaceful resolution rather than confrontation. I am open to dialogue with Wonderland Marine West and I am hoping they would work to resolve my concerns like a reputable dealer should rather than refusing to answer my phone calls. I will update everyone on how this pans out.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've read through all of your posts in this thread again, and don't see anything that seems to lay out what your idea of a resolution would look like.

I get the feeling that the consensus may be swayed one way or the other, based on that information. As of yet, nothing seems to be forthcoming, so implying that the dealer isn't reputable, based on multiple experiences of many, including your own, isn't one of those "truths" we can point to.

Given the info shared here, what exactly are you looking for?