• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any insights on St. Augustine FL?

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Avoid 95 around DC thru Richmond if you can. Once you get off 495/95 (DC beltway ) onto 95 south to Richmond, if you go this way, use your waze so you will know where the back ups start and you can jump off 95 and go around the back ups. It is a given from 8 am until 9 pm. I drive to Florida from MD many times a year. I once hit the NC line in 2 and a half hours from DC - that was when I departed at 6 am and was well south on 95 by 7. Normally, it takes about 4 hours to hit the NC line so this tells you how bad the back up are. As for 95 south through SC, I never had a problem. Then again, DC traffic is the worst in the nation outside of LA so 95 thru SC is a breeze. Always stop at kitschy South or the Border as you enter SC, a great place to take a leak and walk around. A walk into the past. The bathrooms are very clean. Personally, I'd skip bringing the boat. Too much other stuff to do in the area you can always boat in Buffalo. Wanna go see the Jacksonville Sharks play the Massschusetts Pirates (indoor football) this Saturday night at the Vystar Arena? Great family entertainment. Let me know I'll set you up with some free tix!

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dude, that sounds amazing.

If we weren't neck deep in this trip with 2 other families I would absolutely pitch that idea and.could likely get it done. We've been planning this St Augustine trip since October last year, kinda hard.to back out at this point. :(

Did get the wheels off to take and get balanced tomorrow at lunch. Also measured the bunk to see what I can find as a replacement. Any recommendations on a quick place to find new carpet locally?!
How close is the nearest Runnings store to you? They carry bunk carpet.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think west marine sells bunk carpet? Academy too.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tires were balanced at lunchtime. That hurdle is mostly crossed.

Making a home depot run tonight. Going to get a couple 2x4's and reinforce the bunk that's there. That should help for this trip, and I can do a full resolution while I'm down there, or some other time.

Have to change the oil in the 0FsQ7 tonight as well. Luckily that doesn't take long, and I have the tools/supplies on hand to make it happen.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tires were balanced at lunchtime. That hurdle is mostly crossed.

Making a home depot run tonight. Going to get a couple 2x4's and reinforce the bunk that's there. That should help for this trip, and I can do a full resolution while I'm down there, or some other time.

Have to change the oil in the 0FsQ7 tonight as well. Luckily that doesn't take long, and I have the tools/supplies on hand to make it happen.
You ever try that fancy engine cleaning oil?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You ever try that fancy engine cleaning oil?
I have not. It's on the list. I ordered the oil and had it waiting for me at the Louisville Cummins dealership to try after the first of the year. Then I got a promotion and moved 500mi away, and put 20k miles on the car in 6mo. Still burning a quart every 1k miles or so. 2.5k miles for the first quart, like 1.5k for the second, then it levels at 1k mi/qt until I change it again at 5k or so. Exhaust has a broken flex pipe right now as well. 99% certain it needs motor mounts and new downpipes. Not sure if I'm going to do that work or not, you know how it goes. It'll last me another vacation though for certain. If not, I've got AAA and good credit. If it fails during this tow, I'll have it drug to the closest Nissan dealership and buy a Titan :D

Current fad on the Audi forums is to soak pistons, two at a time through the sparkplug hole, with Berryman B12. Then blow out all the removed/dried carbon. Hand rotate the engine a few times, then fire up and "clean out". Several people have done it with good to great results depending on how diligent they were with the process. Might consider that over the 4th of July weekend. I'll have the time and it doesn't cost much to do.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not. It's on the list. I ordered the oil and had it waiting for me at the Louisville Cummins dealership to try after the first of the year. Then I got a promotion and moved 500mi away, and put 20k miles on the car in 6mo. Still burning a quart every 1k miles or so. 2.5k miles for the first quart, like 1.5k for the second, then it levels at 1k mi/qt until I change it again at 5k or so. Exhaust has a broken flex pipe right now as well. 99% certain it needs motor mounts and new downpipes. Not sure if I'm going to do that work or not, you know how it goes. It'll last me another vacation though for certain. If not, I've got AAA and good credit. If it fails during this tow, I'll have it drug to the closest Nissan dealership and buy a Titan :D

Current fad on the Audi forums is to soak pistons, two at a time through the sparkplug hole, with Berryman B12. Then blow out all the removed/dried carbon. Hand rotate the engine a few times, then fire up and "clean out". Several people have done it with good to great results depending on how diligent they were with the process. Might consider that over the 4th of July weekend. I'll have the time and it doesn't cost much to do.
I saw a video on a newer version of it that's supposedly better.

New version seems to be a lot easier to get a hold of, they have it on Amazon. Kinda seems like this trip would be an ideal time to run it, lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw a video on a newer version of it that's supposedly better.

New version seems to be a lot easier to get a hold of, they have it on Amazon. Kinda seems like this trip would be an ideal time to run it, lol
Only issue with either of those is being the wrong viscosity, and requiring more frequent filter changes. Not something I want to risk on a road trip while towing.

Speaking of which, BOTH bunks are softer than I anticipated. Neither will accept a strongback for the trip, as the screw just pull right back out. SO.....I think I'm going to leave it "as is" for the trip down, and replace the bunks/carpet while I'm down there. Bunks aren't so soft that they will disintegrate from the supports under compression, I don't think. I know it's a risk, but I think it's worth it.

Anyone have any commentary on if it's a terrible idea?

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Only issue with either of those is being the wrong viscosity, and requiring more frequent filter changes. Not something I want to risk on a road trip while towing.

Speaking of which, BOTH bunks are softer than I anticipated. Neither will accept a strongback for the trip, as the screw just pull right back out. SO.....I think I'm going to leave it "as is" for the trip down, and replace the bunks/carpet while I'm down there. Bunks aren't so soft that they will disintegrate from the supports under compression, I don't think. I know it's a risk, but I think it's worth it.

Anyone have any commentary on if it's a terrible idea?
My unscientific opinion...it will probably be ok, but check on it frequently (duh). Structurally, it seems to me that the important parts are the sections of board that are attached to the brackets. The rest of the board length is so you can slide on and off, not to hold the boat on during transit. My father towed his pontoon boat on back roads and highways, then down a bumpy gravel road full of potholes to park it at my house for a few weeks. Then we put it in the water, pulled the trailer back down that crappy road, and as I parked the trailer, one of the bunks fell off. The boat was holding it in place.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hopefully traffic wasn’t too big of pain and got in safely!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Made it safe. Took 9hrs to get to St Augustine from just north of Charlotte. Traffic just north of the Florida line SUCKED!!!!!

Boat, Trailer, and family all made it through. About 19hrs drive time from Buffalo down!

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome! You’re in a great location and close to everything right there.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yikes… How bad is it from the front of the dock? Tides are pretty bad (obviously) but that’s bad 🤦‍♂️

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yikes… How bad is it from the front of the dock? Tides are pretty bad (obviously) but that’s bad 🤦‍♂️
I mean, I'm fully grounded. Like the whole boat is on land without a trailer.

Suppose it'll come back in a few hours.

Ground looks soft, so maybe no big deal?!?