• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any of yall in the Louisville Ky area and surrounding?

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m thinking about heading to Louisville with the wife in a couple of weeks and am toying with the idea of launching somewhere and renting a transient slip at the RiverPark Marina. I’d prefer to launch on the Indiana side and would enjoy traveling a few miles up/down river before we get to Louisville (to make it feel like we drove the boat there).

Does anyone know of a good/safe marina, ramp, park, etc to leave the truck and trailer while we’re away for a couple of days?

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Come down to lake Cumberland after Labor Day, lake is empty and like glass with no debris. Water is typically still warm enough to swim till the end of September and good for water sports and tubing into Oct.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ll work on this for you. I live in Louisville and love the river. I’m just not familiar with the Indiana side ramps. If nobody chimes in, I will get back with you soon. Be sure to come after Derby on the 5th. Nothing is safe before then.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ll work on this for you. I live in Louisville and love the river. I’m just not familiar with the Indiana side ramps. If nobody chimes in, I will get back with you soon. Be sure to come after Derby on the 5th. Nothing is safe before then.
Good call on the Derby, and thanks for the help. We’re planning on the weekend of the 12th, but now I’m thinking it might be too close to the crazy weekend.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have some ideas on Indiana ramps. I'm on the phone. Remind me if you don't see an answer by Sunday.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just a thought. Maybe consider putting in at Madison, Indiana. Pretty cool little town with a nice ramp and lots of places to eat. There's also a marina over there. I just don't know about safety. Maybe the marina can help with that question. It takes about an hour to get down to Louisville from there. On the way down there's a huge rock quarry that boats hang out at around the 21/22 mile mark. Then there's 18 mile island and 12 mile island as anchoring options, party cove is at six mile island before getting to your marina. Tons of places to eat as well such as Captains Quarters, Cunninghams, River House, King Fish on the KY side and a ton more options on the Indiana side once you get to town. Check it out and let me know what you think.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just a thought. Maybe consider putting in at Madison, Indiana. Pretty cool little town with a nice ramp and lots of places to eat. There's also a marina over there. I just don't know about safety. Maybe the marina can help with that question. It takes about an hour to get down to Louisville from there. On the way down there's a huge rock quarry that boats hang out at around the 21/22 mile mark. Then there's 18 mile island and 12 mile island as anchoring options, party cove is at six mile island before getting to your marina. Tons of places to eat as well such as Captains Quarters, Cunninghams, River House, King Fish on the KY side and a ton more options on the Indiana side once you get to town. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I looked at Madison and thought that might be a good place but wasn’t sure what the travel time would be like.

It sounds like a winner!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AboveTheBest I totally forgot about this thread. Sorry man.

We have put in at Duffys Landing before in Jeffersonville. It's relatively safe. Same for Cox's Park off River Road in Louisville. Although not sure I would want to leave a vehicle there overnight. I would also consider the state park just outside Charlestown, IN. It's a LONG LONG drive back in there from highway 62, but once back in there, there aren't many people to be messing with stuff. I'm unsure if it's patrolled regularly or not, but it is a state park. They have a nice somewhat new ramp there.

Might be worth a call to Marine Sales and Service there in Louisville. They have a ramp, and their lot is gated/locked. I'm sure they would let you park there for a few days, use the ramp, and store the truck/boat for a small fee. That is probably the MOST secure you're going to get to be honest. In the Louisville Area anyway.

If you're going to be on the boat for a few days and truly don't need the truck/trailer. I'll be happy to pick them up, drive them home, and store them around the corner from me (within sight from the back deck) for a few days then put it back when you're ready. I'm ~15-20min from Duffy's Landing or Cox's Park and cross the bridge daily anyway for my commute.

I also have an Aunt with a house in Wesport that is a "vacation house" and she's not out there often. You can launch there in Wesport, drive over to her place to store the trailer, then walk down and use her dock to board the boat. It's still outside, but that is a relatively low crime area, so I would feel comfortable leaving a truck/trailer there for a few days. I can ask if you're interested.

Another thought is the small marina that used to be Heathers on the River in prospect. They have a boat "valet" service there for the small community residents that live there. I would possibly reach out to them about storing a truck/trailer inside the gates for a few days. Rose Island Yacht Club is the name of the place. See below (click or larger image).

1599056771591.png

I would say Madison is a bit more than an hour. We made the trip ONCE in our little Rinker 182. Want to say it was closer to 90min, but was still doable. You'll need fuel at either end to get back regardless of where you stop. I know the drive down from Westport to Downtown is about 45min at ~30mph. It's a good little cruise.

Let me know if you need more info on any of these places. I can dig some more :D :D Also, let me know when you'll be in town, maybe we can have an impromptu "meet up" with @sunbyrned as well?!?!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You’re right, Madison is further than an hour. I put in at Captains Quarters which eliminates some of the distance he’ll need to go to get downtown. Glad you pointed that out. I can do it in an hour from Captains, but that’s when I’m on a mission. He’s wanting to have a sense of cruising into Louisville from the Indiana side if possible. The Charlestown suggestion may be his only other option. Good to know that’s a state park. That helps a little with the safety concern. Really nice offer to secure his truck for him too. I’m good with meeting up anytime.

Scott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just FYI at the Charlestown State Park. It has a boat ramp only but no loading dock. I don't put in their for that reason.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The Westport ramp is a good suggestion if you’re interested in crossing the bridge into KY. That brings you a lot closer and @2kwik4u ’s offer is hard to beat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@AboveTheBest What are you plans for lodging/boat storage overnight?

Are you looking at getting one of these slips from the city for a few nights? Be aware, that area is often full of debris. Especially after a large rain event. Just tons of sticks/leaves/trash/etc like to collect in that area. You'll want to idle out into the channel, then clean the pumps before firing up and heading out in the morning.
1599151082955.png

Last time I was down there (fall 2019), there was a locked gate at the top of the ramp down to the docks. No idea how you get into/out of the dock area, and I'm unsure how to really secure a boat in that area. Best I could say is to get a cable lock and run it through the tower and a cleat and lock the boat to the dock, then take your keys and any valuables with you.

The nearest marina that might have transient slips is Captains Quarters. I'm not even sure if they have them or not.

Anytime I've done this kind of "adventure" I've always put the boat back on the trailer each night, and left the truck/boat/trailer combo in the hotel parking lot. Never rented a slip overnight on the river, done it a few times at lakes, but that's a bit more secure based on location alone.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@AboveTheBest What are you plans for lodging/boat storage overnight?

Are you looking at getting one of these slips from the city for a few nights? Be aware, that area is often full of debris. Especially after a large rain event. Just tons of sticks/leaves/trash/etc like to collect in that area. You'll want to idle out into the channel, then clean the pumps before firing up and heading out in the morning.
View attachment 132313

Last time I was down there (fall 2019), there was a locked gate at the top of the ramp down to the docks. No idea how you get into/out of the dock area, and I'm unsure how to really secure a boat in that area. Best I could say is to get a cable lock and run it through the tower and a cleat and lock the boat to the dock, then take your keys and any valuables with you.

The nearest marina that might have transient slips is Captains Quarters. I'm not even sure if they have them or not.

Anytime I've done this kind of "adventure" I've always put the boat back on the trailer each night, and left the truck/boat/trailer combo in the hotel parking lot. Never rented a slip overnight on the river, done it a few times at lakes, but that's a bit more secure based on location alone.
He’s looking to stay at River Park marina which is up river from the public ones you circled. River Park is where the police station is located. In your pic, on the very right is the tip of the island where all of this is located. If you could send another pic of that island, you’ll see where he’s going. It sounds like he has a spot secured already. There are a few public spots right next to the police station and then private spots at the marina.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He’s looking to stay at River Park marina which is up river from the public ones you circled. River Park is where the police station is located. In your pic, on the very right is the tip of the island where all of this is located. If you could send another pic of that island, you’ll see where he’s going. It sounds like he has a spot secured already. There are a few public spots right next to the police station and then private spots at the marina.
Had no idea there were public spots there.

I'm guessing you're talking about the marina just up from the old Tumbleweed. For some reason my mind completely blanked on that location.

Wonder if the place where he's staying has space for a truck/trailer?!?!

Priceisright

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello, My wife and I purchased a 2020 SX190 recently and have been planning trips to new lakes for the Summer. Any of yall from Ky? It would be a blast to meet up with some fellow boaters and hit some new waters that we haven't seen!
I’m in Columbus Ohio, not close. But not far

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@AboveTheBest Are you all set for your trip? Will be glad to send you my cell phone number in case you ever need anything.