• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Any ways to get this thing off !!!

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
so I'm doing the oil and filter for the FZR waverunner its been sitting since November 2013 I can't get this oil filter off any ideas ?? and just to double check it is counterclockwise to get it off ??

yes it screws on with regular right hand thread, I just use a oil filter wrench. But I do them every 50 hours and with me that isn't a very long time between oil changes, I also cover the filters with metal tape so they do not get rusted. you do need to remove the top plastic cover from the engine to get to it and place rags under it to catch the oil when you remove it. but you probably already know this.

I prefer the strap wrenches around the body over the socket type that you just put over the end. I've not used the "jaws" pliers that they sell.

I did the old school stickum trick...used dome of the girls hairspray on my hand. Tried my hardest to get that filter off. Didn't work. Guess ill go get that filter wrench today or tomorrow. For 10 bucks its worth me not getting my man card taken again.

be sure to get the correct size for your filter

If the filter wrench slips, fold a piece of sandpaper in half and put it between the strap and filter

I would take the new filter with you to buy the correct size tool. I purchased the metal socket type remover and really like it.

Yup planned on doing that. Oil Change kit came today as I was draining the oil. So timing worked out pretty good. Ski has only 18hrs on it. But like I said has been sitting since November 2013. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC Anything else I should do before it hits the water....Spark Plugs ?? A little CRC sprayed all over the engine ?? Battery should be good. Has been on a battery tender the whole time.

There is a list of things I do before I ever put a ski in the water however I run in salt water only, I add zinc to the pump and ride plate, I remove the spark plugs and never seize the threads from day 1 . I put dielectric grease on the plug boots. I coat the engine with spray on white lithium grease and all the hose clamps with it as well. If you used a battery tender that long you will need to check the water level in the battery also. The trailer is another area you need to take care of , have a spare and a lug wrench that works on the trailer lugs. I use enclosed lug nuts so the studs do not rust and keep you from removing a flat tire, I also carry a spare hub with bearings and lug nuts sometimes on the side of the road it is easier to just change the hub than remove the tire. use a rear strap and a front chain as well as a winch strap. Oh and I place a zinc anode on the rear of the trailer near the lights also.

I had this problem. I bought a pair of oil filter pliers at Oriely auto parts.

Its messy but I've heard of people jamming a big screwdriver through the filter. I'd try the other options first.

There is just enough room there to use the standard type oil filter wrench with the metal band, you can't really get big channel locks in there , once you have the correct size oil filter wrench you will see just how easy it is to remove the filter. The hard part is not making a mess.

I have the faceted socket or had, sent it with the boat when I sold it. Won't be getting another. I find a folded piece of sandpaper in my regular filter wrench with a wide band to be much easier, more secure, and have probably 3x the hold and turning power.

The screwdriver through the end of the filter will likely work but it is messy.

Speaking of mess, I use "puppy piddle pads" under my filters when changing the oil. they have an absorbent side as well as a plastic barrier side to contain the oil that will dribble out of the filter into the bilge.

I drive a screwdriver through the filter as well.... it is a little messier though...

What a PIA !!!! Got the wrench. Was not helpful at all. Lack of space and it kept sliding no matter what I did. So I said F it. put some oil pads under the filter, drilled a hole through, put a screwdriver in and cranked it. Came off like a champ. When I tightened it, I made it firm so it wont come off but ill be able to get it off at the end of the Summer (Hopefully). Guess Ill return the wrench to Tractor Supply. Makes me appreciate the space in our boat engine compartments.

Did I actually provide an answer that worked?! Wow, I gotta tell my GF!

What a PIA !!!! Got the wrench. Was not helpful at all. Lack of space and it kept sliding no matter what I did. So I said F it. put some oil pads under the filter, drilled a hole through, put a screwdriver in and cranked it. Came off like a champ. When I tightened it, I made it firm so it wont come off but ill be able to get it off at the end of the Summer (Hopefully). Guess Ill return the wrench to Tractor Supply. Makes me appreciate the space in our boat engine compartments.

You probably know this, but you only need to tighten the filter by hand, the heat will expand the seal. You also lube the filter seal with a little oil.

Put the ski in the water yesterday after about 1.5 yrs sitting. Started right up. Ran like the first day I bought it. Forgot how 70mph felt !!! WOW Question for @Cobra Jet Steering LLC I normally spray my 212X boat engine completely with CRC. I also want to do it to the ski. Should I take the plastic cover off the top of the motor that covers everything then spray, or should I leave it be and simply do everything else inside the ski ?

Back