• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anybody connect extra LEDs to the courtesy lights switched on by the connext screen?

Weaver1855

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am getting ready to install some LED strip lights throughout the cockpit of my boat and I am going to try to connect them to the output leads from the connext screen for the courtesy lights.

Anyone have any luck or experience doing this?

Also, any one have a wiring schematic of the connext system for the 2015 AR240?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the schematic but it's at home and I'm traveling so if you can wait until Friday I'll send it to you.

Weaver1855

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the schematic but it's at home and I'm traveling so if you can wait until Friday I'll send it to you.
Awesome, that would help out a lot, thanks!

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@David Decker I can't say how accurate they will be for the 2016 E series boats. I think they added a few more electronics

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could just clip the wires at the lights and tie in there that's what I did. At least then you can have muliple starting points so you don't have to run wire around the whole boat and if any issues arrise it can be traced back to a certain source section.

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm guessing that since Connext allows the user to change the brightness of the tower and courtesy lights, that these outputs are probably switched by MOSFET transistors and not ordinary mechanical relays. That configuration would make it very easy for the Connext firmware to change the perceived brightness by quickly switching the LEDs on/off at the right duty cycle using a pulse width modulation (PWM) technique. That's how I'd design it, anyway. If Connext does use MOSFET transistors as I suspect for these outputs, then they have a maximum current rating (which may be lower than that of typical relay contacts) that should not be exceeded. Fortunately, LED strips typically don't use much current, so you're probably OK. I would be interested, though, in if/how they "dim" when you dim the courtesy lights.

I'd love to have access to a "dead" Connext to tear apart and explore what's there! I'm assuming that this level of detail isn't even included in the Yamaha service manual, since Connext is just a replaceable component...

Last edited:

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am getting ready to install some LED strip lights throughout the cockpit of my boat and I am going to try to connect them to the output leads from the connext screen for the courtesy lights.

Anyone have any luck or experience doing this?

Also, any one have a wiring schematic of the connext system for the 2015 AR240?
@Jade63, has done this. He gave me a wealth of knowledge during our conversation and will be assisting me with my install. You can check out his posts and pics on here!

Weaver1855

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the help. I actually went a different direction. I bought two OPT7 kits. Each kit included a remote, four 24" LED strips and a controller. Because I had the remote no switch was needed and I just connected it off the main house battery switch. The controller had an
auxiliary wire that when activated turns the LEDs on and white, I connected this to one of my courtesy lights, so now when I hit the courtesy lights I can see everything in the boat when cleaning after a night trip.

Installed 6 out of the 8 LED strips today and both controllers. Still need to install the last two strips on the swim step.

image.jpeg image.jpgimage.jpeg image.jpeg

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the help. I actually went a different direction. I bought two OPT7 kits. Each kit included a remote, four 24" LED strips and a controller. Because I had the remote no switch was needed and I just connected it off the main house battery switch. The controller had an
auxiliary wire that when activated turns the LEDs on and white, I connected this to one of my courtesy lights, so now when I hit the courtesy lights I can see everything in the boat when cleaning after a night trip.

Installed 6 out of the 8 LED strips today and both controllers. Still need to install the last two strips on the swim step.

View attachment 35480 View attachment 35481View attachment 35482 View attachment 35483
Nice job, looks good! When you finish and photograph the last 2 lights, take some pics of your locations of the lights throughout the boat so we can check em out too!

Thanks

Ricky Davila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How hard was this 1-10?? I am pretty good on the mechanical end, but I'm not the greatest on the electrical side.

Weaver1855

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How hard was this 1-10?? I am pretty good on the mechanical end, but I'm not the greatest on the electrical side.
This was really simple to install as a kit, 4/10. Run positive and negative to the controller, positive fused, then all the LED strips had quick connect connectors to a 10ft extension that connected to the control box. The difficult part is running the wires down the sides of the boat, but if you have a fish tape that is easy.

Once I install the last two strips, I'll post pictures of each strip mounted and where the wires went.

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Weaver1855 , I'm interested in these kits, you bought 2 kits and installed but you have 2 separate controller's ? Doesn't the company have a way to link two kits together ?

Ricky Davila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This was really simple to install as a kit, 4/10. Run positive and negative to the controller, positive fused, then all the LED strips had quick connect connectors to a 10ft extension that connected to the control box. The difficult part is running the wires down the sides of the boat, but if you have a fish tape that is easy.

Once I install the last two strips, I'll post pictures of each strip mounted and where the wires went.

Awesome! Thank you.

Weaver1855

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jasonsbiz74

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
ok cool thanks...I'm going to look at them

Ricky Davila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I picked up a couple of kits. Install does not look too bad. Have you gotten them all installed yet? Can you post a couple of pictures of your power hook up, and your auxiliary hook up?

Luis Pena

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome looking led setup...I would also like to see mounting setup for them....

Ricky Davila

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weaver1855. Have you finished the install, was looking at getting mine installed, but wanted to see your mounting locations and routing.
Bumping this thread as I'm still hoping to see the mounting locations and routing of wires please! :)