• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anyone convert to electric over hydraulic brakes?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was looking in to converting to electric over hydraulic. I pull with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi. Pulling isn't and issue but I would like better braking. I pull a large enclosed snowmobile trailer with electric drums and I like the instant electric braking. I haven't got my new boat yet, a 2015 AR240 but would like opinions. Trailer only comes with brakes on one axle and the dealers says I don't need them on both but I paying to have him add them to the 2nd axle. Any input?

Yup!
It was easy enough really. Just have to find the right bearings. I had an extra set from a camper I upgraded and just needed shoes and magnets for the drums. I did need to run to the pats store for a bearing as it needed a different one to match the axle but it took us an afternoon.

Also I wouldn't recommend if you do salt water due to the corrosion. My breaks stick from time to time but just need a good tug and they loosen right up. Never had a problem.

I have converted every hydraulic brake trailer I have owned to electric and that includes two boat trailers. I love electric brakes.

OK, I think what I'm looking at is different. I will leave the hydraulic disks brakes on but add and electronic controller for them and remove the surge actuator. This way you get the best of both worlds. You get the keep the hydraulic disks but control them with an electric controller. I have electric drums on my snowmobile trailer and they good but rot out every 3 years and need complete replacements.

really? no one has done this? If that's the case then maybe I don't need to worry about this.

U talking about the electric resevoir on the tonge kinda thing? I personally think It's the worst of both setups.
you still have a resevoir tank but havevelectric to push a cylinder. Kinda like an electric master cylinder for a car. Still have to wire a 7 pin electric setup but then have an exposed hydraulic tank and more moving parts than the stock setup.
just my 2 cents but stick with one or the other. Sometimes simple is best.

Galvanized electric brake components are available. I may try them when I have some spare time.

Don't do hydraulic over electric! It's a waste from what I gather. 380$ of electric brakes vs a 450$ hydraulic over electric brake and then the rest of the system that you already have. I paid someone to rip out all of my brake system and put in a new one and it cost me around 500$ for a single axle.

The kit I was looking at was around $600 for everything. I just like using an electronic controller. I have the drums on another trailer and I hate them. They need replacing every couple years as they just rot out because the keep all the moisture in. I was hoping someone had done this and could say it was worth it or not.

http://hydrastarmarine.com/product/hydrastar-brake-actuator-conversion-kit/

Back