• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Anyone do CNC machining?

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want to love my 10" sub from the wall of the helm console to a sealed box. So I have 2 options.
1) make a box that will fit in that odd shaped space that will through under the bow seat compartment.
2) cover the 8" HOLE I put in the boat to mount the speaker. I'm thinking some kinda thick screen with a yamaha fork logo on it, with finished edges, etc would look good and allow the bass out. Can anyone help me make this? How much would it cost?

The problem with a CNC on a one-off part is the cost of set-up time. Someone has to design the part and load the parameters into the computer unless you can supply a finished part on a disc in a usable format. It's not economical unless you have a friend in the business or a machine shop is willing to knowingly lose money on your project.
You can make softer grade aluminum parts or polymer parts using a table saw and router table with conventional woodworking tools. Certainly polymer parts are much easier requiring far fewer steps.
There are off-the-shelf universal solutions available from Earmark Marine.

David is right CNC requires a lot of drawing time and programming time. Cam software or conversation at the control, looking at some major hours and job shops rate go anywhere from 50-150 a hour.

But to answer your question...I do. :D

Yeah you guys are right. I ordered a tight mesh speaker grill that I am going to paint and out on the hole. Hopefully it'll just look like the speaker is mounted there like it was before. It was only $10 so I can't go wrong even if it doesn't work out.

@tim2808 , in order to give it the "speaker is still there look" if you have or can find some old house speakers with the fluffy covers on them or something like that to cut and glue to the back side of the speaker grill. It will be blacked out and still allow airflow thru. Even some thin bkack fabric will create the same illusion.

A painted speaker grill cover was definitely the easiest way to go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 36
Nice job!!! Looks good

Did the job....great work!!!

A painted speaker grill cover was definitely the easiest way to go!

Ouch.
A painted steel grill will definitely begin rusting within a year or less in a marine environment. Over the winter, when the boat is not in use, completely strip that grill and have it powder-coated. A minimum powder-coat fee can be brutal. So give them the grill and have them wait until a big job is using the same color and ride piggy back on that large work order. This should only cost 10% of the minimum fee.

@tim2808 you may be able to have a Yamaha logo done on a 3D printer.

I thought about the steel rusting. It was painted black when I got it and painted it white. So I am thinking it will be ok for awhile. Plus Boat is garage kept and has only seen rain in Bimini :)

Having a water-jet cut the top of the speaker grill out of aluminum or SS would work. You would just have to fix a mounting ring. Here is water-jet cutting...
This is the machinery I sell.

That looks kind of pricy for my home shop!

Sorry... I meant find a local shop that does water-jet cutting. The only set up time is drawing your part in cad. Water-jet is very versatile... cuts plastic, glass, steel, SS, Alum and de not have a heat affect zone.

Sorry... I meant find a local shop that does water-jet cutting. The only set up time is drawing your part in cad. Water-jet is very versatile... cuts plastic, glass, steel, SS, Alum and de not have a heat affect zone.

Only down fall with water jet is the draft......but for quick parts wet jet is the way to go....We get a ton of parts water jetted out for blanks then machine to tolerance.

draft? I have customers doing as you said,but they produce production parts for the aero, mil, nuke and energy industries with no additional machining needed.

draft? I have customers doing as you said,but they produce production parts for the aero, mil, nuke and energy industries with no additional machining needed.

We see thicker parts with draft on them on blanks......talking 3"-5" thick parts. Then again the people we get our parts from may not have their machine set-up right. I know one is set-up practically outside. From what I know about water jet machine I don't think they can hold .0005 tolerance can they? Best I have seen is +/- .004

I thought about the steel rusting. It was painted black when I got it and painted it white. So I am thinking it will be ok for awhile. Plus Boat is garage kept and has only seen rain in Bimini :)
It was painted , and you painted over it. It will be fine for a few seasons. If you want a few more out of it pull it back off and clear it, you will get double the wear out if it.

Most wj will be .001 to .004. Is what you are calling draft the angle in the part?

Back