• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone have a simple boating maintenance NON-cloud app for keeping up with maintenance?

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Looking for something for IOS that's like Car Minder that I use for all my automobiles.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thx, but I’m talking about an app you add all that to with reminders. I use Car Minder for my trucks. Simple, modifiable, and easy to use.

For instance, when my FJ starts giving me the “Maintenence Required” light, I look at the app to see if I’m doing just oil filter, or filter and oil. Toyota recommends 10k oil changes. However, you still get the light every 5k and I’m paranoid so I do a fresh oil filter at 5k between oil changes. Also that’s time to do a 5 wheel rotation.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Understand. There is so little to do to keep these boats running well, that I’ve not sought an app to help me on the maintenance reminder front.

I’ll have to take a look at Car Minder, would be nice to have one app for the whole fleet (cars, boat, mowers, etc.). I juggle PDF docs in iBooks on my phone, which is not a very elegant solution.

I also use this checklist, which was contributed by another JB member:

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My issue is keeping up with everything hence the app to do it. For instance, if the TR-1s run synthetic oil, I'll probably do the same and swap and oil fitler in the middle vs oil and filter. That is IF it's as easy as the Toyota filter being on top of engine (don't recall about the boat at the moment). Then there is also a place for part numbers in the service notes. MAkes it easy to rememeber what goes to what. I only wish Car Minder did boats too. It only does miles/kilos vs hours.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You mean other people don’t have unused oil containers littering their garage with scribbles like truck, SUV, jetboat, mower on them?

You are making my garage organization and maintenance skills look very bad ...

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Could you just use car minder, just remember that instead of KM you are using Hours as the metric?

I could be crazy, have never used the app.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
You mean other people don’t have unused oil containers littering their garage with scribbles like truck, SUV, jetboat, mower on them?

You are making my garage organization and maintenance skills look very bad ...
ROFLMAO... that WAS my garage years ago... these days I try to keep it a little more streamlined.

Could you just use car minder, just remember that instead of KM you are using Hours as the metric?

I could be crazy, have never used the app.
Thinking of doing just that. It DOES allow you to use time and miles for service. I could just set the time feature for roughly the average time for such services. Was just hoping there was something a little more specific.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The recommendation is every 100 hours on the TR-1’s, my guess is that’s a pretty serious season of use, I’d say annually is sufficient for most. I just did the 10 hour not too long ago, using the Yamalube 4W gives you the Yamaha 5,000 hour internal engine warranty too, I’m at 40 hours now and my guess is it’ll be less than 100 before next season. I’ll do it in the spring along with plugs, if necessary. As long as I do it annually I’m covered is my theory.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I generally don't use any of the Japanese oils (long time Japanese bike guy)... these things use so little though, I can't see not doing so in this case. I don't like the idea of going that long on the oil intervals. Again, too little fluid on these tiny engines singing along at 6k plus all the time, and I take mine out 3-4 times a week (fortunate I live right by the lake). I'll look tomorrow, but if the filter is on top, I'll probably do like the FJ and swap filters in the middle of the interval. If I get serious I'll send some oil off for analysis. However, I doubt that would be necessary in this instance.

Last edited:

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thx, but I’m talking about an app you add all that to with reminders. I use Car Minder for my trucks. Simple, modifiable, and easy to use.

For instance, when my FJ starts giving me the “Maintenence Required” light, I look at the app to see if I’m doing just oil filter, or filter and oil. Toyota recommends 10k oil changes. However, you still get the light every 5k and I’m paranoid so I do a fresh oil filter at 5k between oil changes. Also that’s time to do a 5 wheel rotation.
First I have heard of someone changing filters in between oil changes. If I tow hard I change the oil in 5k but still don’t do the filter it every 10k when I do the oil. I use mobile 1 all the time. Once they took the zinc out of regular oil, it is useless now. I know engineers that change the filter once every 20,000 after they have 30k on the vehicle. I asked why and they said there is nothing coming off rings and such so it does not matter anymore.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The FJs call for a 10000 mile oil change interval. I use most of my power toys much harder (frequently ripping on it), and in dustier conditions than the average bear. The FJ filter has a smaller element than many engines using 6.5 qts of oil. So I decided that without empirical evidence I would just change the filter every 5000 miles. Which was easy because it was on top of the engine (2007, not 2010 and up), and you can do so without losing any oil.

Very true about modern oil though. Really the only way to be sure is through analysis.