• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone have difficulty finding premium gas while on the water?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
While I would love a new SX210/AR210, between the shortage of new boats, high OTD prices, and maybe a model change in 2023/2024, I'm seriously thinking of buying a 2019/2020/2021 190/195 to use for a couple of years

While I like both the AR190 and the AR195, I think I would prefer an AR195 (or 195S). One of my concerns, however, is the availability of premium (91 octane) gasoline while on the water. Most of the time for day use, the boat would be on trailer, so it's easy to find premium gas. My concern, however, is when the boat is in the water and refueling at marinas. I'm blessedly close to retirement, so we likely would rent houses/condos on the water for a week, maybe a couple of times a year. As an example, when I look at Waterway Guide for the Florida Keys, it seems everyone has 90 octane (I'm presuming REC-90) gasoline, but they do not mention 91 octane gasoline.

Just wondering what you experiences have been with finding premium gasoline?

Jim

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Impossible to get premium on the water in the Northeast, at least around here - NJ/NY, all you get is 89 w/EtOH. Which is borderline but probably okay.

@Neutron - what would be your take on this - 89 okay for an SVHO?

I have been toying with the idea of going back to a Yamaha 19fter, I used to have a 190, loved it. Took it to Bimini, lol, that was a bit of a stretch.
But if I do, it will no doubt be a 195. With the singles, the larger pump makes a substantial difference.

Those new 195S look pretty awesome, but the green AR195! - wow.

--

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have read a couple of posts at The Hull Truth that "90 rec gas is simply 93 octane E10 without the ethanol." I have no idea what this mean. Any thoughts on this statement? Is there a possibility of running REC-90 fuel in an AR195?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have read a couple of posts at The Hull Truth that "90 rec gas is simply 93 octane E10 without the ethanol." I have no idea what this mean. Any thoughts on this statement? Is there a possibility of running REC-90 fuel in an AR195?
Ethanol addition increases the octane number. So, yes, that statement is right on.

90 octane is still 90 octane, regardless how you get there, with or without EtOH. The only thing that changes the equation is elevation - if you are at high elevation, lower octane may be suitable.

That all said, however, with those boats having knock-sensors, there is not much risk of serious damage, other than some marginal power loss. I think.

BTW - ethanol also lowers mpg. It contains less energy per gallon than gasoline, to varying degrees, depending on the volume percentage of ethanol in the blend.

--

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Isn’t there an octane booster you can buy and pour in the tank?

Wake_Dude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I've used 90 Octane (non-ETOH) when filling up my AR195 on the water quite a few times, and honestly noticed no difference in performance. YMMV

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Depends where you are. No problem to find 91 on lake havasu.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here in Ontario I can't find anything but 91 octane at area fuel docks, even though 80% of the boats out here run regular 87 fuel and 10% run diesel. Price right now is 1.81 per liter or 6.88 per gallon for premium at the docks.
🤪

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run 87 with ethanol but this year I'll prob fill the boat with non ethanol when I store it for the winter. I haven't had a chance to use the boat much so I'm finally down to have a tank this year. I'll burn it lower and then use non ethanol gas from now on. On on small lake there is prob one pump. I'm not sure what octane they sell. Its easier just to carry 5 gallon cans down to the dock.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I run 87 with ethanol but this year I'll prob fill the boat with non ethanol when I store it for the winter. I haven't had a chance to use the boat much so I'm finally down to have a tank this year. I'll burn it lower and then use non ethanol gas from now on. On on small lake there is prob one pump. I'm not sure what octane they sell. Its easier just to carry 5 gallon cans down to the dock.
The OP's question was around octane and not ethenol. Although these conversations cross over in most discussions, in his case, he needs higher octane in his SVHO motor. In your case, just like me, we can burn any octane and our only concern is if you want to avoid ethanol or not.

Texatl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
We have an option at our marina- 87 or 93 (I think… mine takes 87 so I never asked what the premium was, it might be 90-ish RecGas)
But prices are so high at the marinas its almost worth pulling the boat and going to the land station.

almost, cuz I’m lazy. But… whenever it’s out I top up on land.

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I know the manual for my 2021 255XD calls for 91; however, the boat stays at an indoor Boatel, so I have to fuel on the water. There is a fuel dock that has 90 ethanol free, which is all I use, and I have not had any issues to date. I do not run any octane boosters, or any additives at all, for that matter.

Not seeing any performance degradation or any other issues so far.

Boat is in Virginia Beach, Virginia

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have not experienced any issues with 90 availability. All local stations land based as well as on lake amply supplied. I would mix sta-bil with lower octane fuel / ethanol mix. I would think lack of sta-bil would be a bigger issue of premium weren’t available. I found this online guide. Maybe there one for each state. Probably supply chain ripple effect of covid?
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Folks,

Thanks for the posts. Its reassuring to know the engines have knock-sensors and can run on slightly lower octane gas, if need be.

Jim

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Impossible to get premium on the water in the Northeast, at least around here - NJ/NY, all you get is 89 w/EtOH. Which is borderline but probably okay.
Weird, in south Jersey on the rivers and southern shore points, its all ethanol free premium. That's the one consolation I take when they're asking $4.50-$5.00 a gallon.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The lake I frequent that I actually get gas on has everything. Lowest they have is 89 ethanol free and my boat seems to love it. I've run 90 as well as it was the gas pump that was free.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Weird, in south Jersey on the rivers and southern shore points, its all ethanol free premium. That's the one consolation I take when they're asking $4.50-$5.00 a gallon.
Uhhh i think you need to look again. You wont find any ethanol free anywhere in nj. Its illegal here, even on the water. all fuel regardless of thenoctane rating will be ethanol fuel. Only thing you can get without ethanol is what is deemed as race gas. Either 100 or 110 octane and only avail at specialty has stations in the state.

For the op, what i do with mine is fill with 93 then when i am at 1/2 tank or so i will fill up with 89 which is avail almost everywhere. This will make 91.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For the op, what i do with mine is fill with 93 then when i am at 1/2 tank or so i will fill up with 89 which is avail almost everywhere. This will make 91.
Your manual does state, “minimum octane rating”. You can burn 93 all day any day in a 275 without issue. Why bother mixing the 89? Just like having a knock sensor for those times you cannot get the minimum, it will have no issues with higher octane, within limits. I mean don’t run 110 race fuel, but most any of the 90,91,93 will not be an issue.

you guys are overthinking this way too much. And ethanol is only really an issue if you plan on leaving fuel in the tank for extended periods of time. The fuel systems in these boats have been designed to run it for years.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
i think you misunderstand. What i was trying to say is that i typically run 93 but if im out on the water and cant find 93 and if i know im going to be out and need gas at some point during the day then i will run it down to 1/2 tank and i can top off with 89 and still be at the recommended 91.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i think you misunderstand. What i was trying to say is that i typically run 93 but if im out on the water and cant find 93 and if i know im going to be out and need gas at some point during the day then i will run it down to 1/2 tank and i can top off with 89 and still be at the recommended 91.
Gotcha. Makes complete sense.