• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone mounted speakers behind swim deck cushions?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat is a 2007 sx230.

I have my cushions out for a reupholstery and noticed there is a lot of space behind the seats, where the fan exhausts. I also have some old speakers that were in the boat that are discolored, but functional. I was thinking about installing them behind the seat backs and hooking them up to my radio's power, as my inside speakers will be amped. I figured it would add a little bit of extra sound back there or when we are hanging out on or near the swim platform.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out ok?

Stischendorf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are a lot of post on here about swim deck speakers. I put 2 speakers behind my swim deck back rest cushions. The sound is great. Much better to hear in the water. I say go for It! I am very happy that I did.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat is a 2007 sx230.

I have my cushions out for a reupholstery and noticed there is a lot of space behind the seats, where the fan exhausts. I also have some old speakers that were in the boat that are discolored, but functional. I was thinking about installing them behind the seat backs and hooking them up to my radio's power, as my inside speakers will be amped. I figured it would add a little bit of extra sound back there or when we are hanging out on or near the swim platform.

Has anyone done this? Did it work out ok?
Check this out - @Trevor Shipman install
https://jetboaters.net/threads/question-about-installing-speakers-in-swim-platform.968/page-4

--

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce placed speakers behind the seat cushions I believe.
I’ve heard good things about it.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have heard a boat with it done.. the music comes out fron under the cushions and travels right across the surface of the water. Perfect for swimming. I already have the speakers and the amp set up. This spring I will be adding two there.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have two 6x9s installed behind the swim deck cushions on my SX230. They are perfect for listening to music in the water.

Removing and reinstalling the cushions is an interesting process that either requires someone to crawl into the under seat storage or removing the sidewalls in the engine compartment.

I removed the sidewalls, decided not to reinstall them and used the space to mount two batteries in boxes on the port side and a 16 gallon tank for a shower on the starboard side. I also blocked off the opening of the under seat area into the engine compartment with plywood, carpet and sound deadening material.

I am not finding pictures but there is a lot of info in https://jetboaters.net/threads/question-about-installing-speakers-in-swim-platform.968/

Hike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have two 6x9s installed behind the swim deck cushions on my SX230. They are perfect for listening to music in the water.

Removing and reinstalling the cushions is an interesting process that either requires someone to crawl into the under seat storage or removing the sidewalls in the engine compartment.

I removed the sidewalls, decided not to reinstall them and used the space to mount two batteries in boxes on the port side and a 16 gallon tank for a shower on the starboard side. I also blocked off the opening of the under seat area into the engine compartment with plywood, carpet and sound deadening material.

I am not finding pictures but there is a lot of info in https://jetboaters.net/threads/question-about-installing-speakers-in-swim-platform.968/
Hi Bruce, What kind of amp are you running for your 6x9 speakers behind the swim deck cushions? I'm looking at doing the same install this winter. How did you fit the speakers around the blower vents?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Bruce, What kind of amp are you running for your 6x9 speakers behind the swim deck cushions? I'm looking at doing the same install this winter. How did you fit the speakers around the blower vents?
Initially I ran the 6 Infinity Marine 6x9s directly from a Fusion IP600 head unit. Two pairs were configured as 2 ohm loads. That was much much better than factory. Later there was an amazing deal on Kenwood KAC-M3004 amplifiers and I bought a pair of those.

I need to look for pictures but I relocated some of the blower vents.