• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about installing speakers in swim platform

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thats a 2012 Mel. The 2006-2011 are the same hull style I believe...

I had the same issues trying to add speakers to my swim deck on the 08 sx210. The solution was to buy an AR and hang them on the tower!!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good catch @jawsf16 , I knew it changed, couldn't remember when, but thought @Jebinok 's was a '10 or '11, but now that you mention it I think your right...apologies

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah the Bimini on the 06 doesn't allow that unless you mount vertically, which for some reason I don't like.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I got them all in... Sound is decent, definitely missing the highs. I ordered some 4" tweeters but haven't decided on placement yet. If you're just looking for some background music I wouldsayits fine but if you're looking for great quality just the 6x9s sound muffled. I'll let you know when the tweeters are installed.

Attachments

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, we put the Polk tweeters in today. As you know on a 06 AR210 rear speaker placement is very limited so we decided to go in the cushion. Turned out really good I thought. Sounds great. We're going to swap out the 6x9s, they Pyle speakers and are just horrible. Should be an easy swap out. With that said it sounds amazing! Can't wait to see how well you'll be able to hear while wake boarding.

Attachments

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks real good. Can't believe you just cut through the seat like that! I wouldn't have the guts... Nice job!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I got them all in... Sound is decent, definitely missing the highs. I ordered some 4" tweeters but haven't decided on placement yet. If you're just looking for some background music I wouldsayits fine but if you're looking for great quality just the 6x9s sound muffled. I'll let you know when the tweeters are installed.
Looking at your pictures the opening below the seat cushion on my 230 is much larger. I believe that is why your highs are much more muted.

We're going to swap out the 6x9s, they Pyle speakers and are just horrible.
I am really happy with our Infinity 6912m speakers. I have 6 in the boat so far and plan to add two more to the bow.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Forgot the last pic. Really happy, what a difference!

Also, I ordered a 20 watt solar charger for the batteries while at the storage unit. Interested to see if that was a complete was of money. Ha

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, we put the Polk tweeters in today. As you know on a 06 AR210 rear speaker placement is very limited so we decided to go in the cushion. Turned out really good I thought. Sounds great. We're going to swap out the 6x9s, they Pyle speakers and are just horrible. Should be an easy swap out. With that said it sounds amazing! Can't wait to see how well you'll be able to hear while wake boarding.
Sweet install! Is that some kind of enclosure for the speaker in the pic?

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice install.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sweet install! Is that some kind of enclosure for the speaker in the pic?
Thanks! I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to? We put foam speaker baffles behind the speakers of that's what you're referring to?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I had the same question. Where did you get those?

Was this install really as easy as it looks? That is a fabulous result. I have been debating how to put some speakers back there and this may just be the ticket...

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, they're just speaker baffles. Got them on Amazon. They're not uncommon. As far as how hard the project was? I'd give it a 5 or 6. The biggest pain is getting in the seat wells to undo the 5,000 bolts holding the rear seat in place. Other than that it's just running speaker wire and saying a Hail Mary before you cut into the fabric. The sound is amazing though. Still waiting to replace the 6x9s so it should sound even better after that. The tweeters in the seat made all the difference in the world. Also if you want the speaker to push in nicely to the seat back you'll need to use 2" bolts not screws. Job is much easier with 2 guys.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah! 2" bolts. There is the tip.

Thanks!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You have stones! Looks great.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Obviously, the newer 24' boats can't use the seat backs any longer as they are storage areas now. Have folks reverted back to mounting lower on the swim deck on those models?

Not sure if this thread was on the faq, or what search referred me here... I'm sure there are more recent conversations, but something at least directed me here for info on rear facing audio.

(Wife definitely thinks I'm obsessed with jetboaters.net, don't even have one and essentially spending every spare minute on the forum reading old threads. Lol When the time finally comes, I'm going to be knowledgeable darn it! )

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mounted 5.25 inch speakers on each side of the cushions
20160916_185652.jpg

Aggie94

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Dan114K, have you had any issues with these since installing? any water issues, abuse to the speaker/cover with wakeboards, etc and in general would you do it again? about to do the same but was hoping you were still monitoring this board.

thanks

I replaced my stock speakers with MM651UM and installed two extra by the swim deck.
(did not caulk, just used a waterproof foam tape behind speaker lip, I liked the access to area).
All the information I found said the speakers are marine nature in design and can get wet.View attachment 3087 ubmerged without problems.