• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about installing speakers in swim platform

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It looks like they changed the layout of the back rests too

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Paul, I looked up those speakers and I think that might be the best solution here. I can use the bass from the boat to supplement these little guys. As much as I really want to put bigger speakers in, I think these will have to do the trick. Ill probably hook em up to the head unit with a switch to turn em on and off, then use the amp for 3 sets in the boat.
I could have gone with 4" or maybe 5 1/2" speakers there. I have a separate amp(http://www.polyplanar.com/product/me52-2-channel-50watt-expansion-amplifier) for them with a volume control/off switch right next to the starboard speaker. Whole thing cost $133. Poly Planar makes really nice stuff. I am waiting for the stock JBL head unit to die so I can replace it with one of theirs. here are some more pics.

IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1726.JPG

Last edited:

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We ended up purchasing the Polk DB401 for the rear. They got great reviews and match the current speaker setup in the rest of the boat (although Ill be changing to JL soon). Ill mount them in the same location as paul075. Only drawback is they dont have a speaker template, which would be very helpful with the tight margin of error. In any event, Im super nervous about drilling a hole here, and will probably just grab a 4" hole saw to do the job.

paul075

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We ended up purchasing the Polk DB401 for the rear. They got great reviews and match the current speaker setup in the rest of the boat (although Ill be changing to JL soon). Ill mount them in the same location as paul075. Only drawback is they dont have a speaker template, which would be very helpful with the tight margin of error. In any event, Im super nervous about drilling a hole here, and will probably just grab a 4" hole saw to do the job.
Hole saw is what I used to do mine. The best way to get through the gel coat without chipping is to use the drill in reverse until you get to the fiberglass. This way the hole saw teeth are not digging into the gel coat just grinding it away. Go buy a new hole saw for this install, do not use an old dull one, if it skips out and f's up your boat you will be pissed.

BTW those speakers are going to work out great there.

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I appreciate the advice; Ill grab a new hole saw this week.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I appreciate the advice; Ill grab a new hole saw this week.
Okay, when positioning, plan for the fact that you will eventually have a speaker with almost a 7" O.D. and will be subsequently enlarging a 4" opening to a 5" opening. That requires a hole saw pilot within a hole saw blade, or a temporary wood plug or a template and a plunge router, or a die grinder, or some other method that in any case will be a bit more of an exercise.

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I dont think Ill be able to make the 4" speakers any larger. The stock ones in the boat, however, will get pulled soon. I might pick up a rotozip for that application.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will get the decibel meter out and get some readings with and without the seat next week.
I finished my behind the seats speaker install this afternoon. Before installing the seat back I setup a decibel meter on a tripod 7 feet in front of and slightly below the speaker. Seven feet seemed like a comfortable position for hanging out behind the boat.

Before installing the seat back I saw decibel readings primarily in the 82 to 87 range.

I then installed the seat back and repeated the test without moving the meter or adjusting the volume control playing the same portion of the same song. The meter continued to show similar readings with peaks of 87.

The highs were diminished but the bass maintained its volume. I prefer the sound with the seat backs on. It had a fuller deeper sound.

They also provide a slight back massage.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The sound from behind the seat cushions is very good, I think I was among the first to do it. Speakers on the lower swim deck are a risk IMO. A small tear becomes a big hole quickly, and that's the first part going below the waterline.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, looks like I'm going to jump on board and put some 6x9's behind the seat of my AR210. I'm just looking for a little more sound when hanging out on the back, nothing crazy. Question, did any of you guys move the exhaust to the other side to make room in the engine compartment? Wondering if there is a specific reason Yamaha too the time to put both exhaust on one side?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Buy good speakers and there is no worry about speakers on the lower swim deck.

ratchetdu

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
View attachment 3046 I remember seeing that someone had the back pads redone so that there was room for speakers. It was located about where the widest part of the grey strip ison your boat. Found the pic I was looking for. Hope no one minds that.
HEY!!! Thats my boat :) I just saw this! I dont mind @Troy for using the pic. If it helps another member, it was worth my effort to post originally and for you to repost...

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy good speakers and there is no worry about speakers on the lower swim deck.
I did, bought brand new JBL's for factory replacements and a 10" bass tube. I just don't want to be that guy pulled up at the shore with music blaring. Def putting in the rear speakers. Just wondering about the exhaust.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The exhaust is water cooled in the water boxes, it does get warm in there, but not hot. Authorized JL Audio installers put them in that same compartment, as well as that compartment being connected to the sides of the boat too, where the factory installs the aft speakers, so heat is not an issue. @Trevor Shipman , you have me wondering what speaker you have selected. There is a difference in a JBL boat speaker and a JL Audio Marine grade speaker. A JL Audio marine grade speaker isn't built like other "marine" speakers, and only a handful of companies build to that level of durability and quality...
  • injection-molded mica-filled polypropylene cone bodies with synthetic rubber surrounds, specifically formulated with UV inhibitors for marine duty.
  • Marine-grade, synthetic fiber spiders with progressive roll designs to withstand high humidity.
  • Specifically engineered polymer baskets are corrosion and UV-resistant and encapsulate the woofer's motor system to prevent corrosion.
  • Gold-plated, marine-grade brass connection terminals
  • Marine-grade stainless steel mounting hardware is included.
@Jebinok has had JL Audio MX 650's on his lower deck of his later model 210 also for a number of years. There is more room between the swim platforms on the late model 210's and the 240's, so @Julian and other guys posted in this thread have a smaller diameter due to the space being smaller on the earlier boats. There is always more than one way to skin a cat! Also, sometimes you have to crank your own music up a tad to drown out the guy down the beach that DOES have his music blaring!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question, did any of you guys move the exhaust to the other side to make room in the engine compartment? Wondering if there is a specific reason Yamaha too the time to put both exhaust on one side?
This is the exhaust for the blowers. I believe they put the intake on the other side to avoid sucking the exhausted air back in.

When I installed the speakers behind the seat cushions I drilled new holes for one of the blower exhausts and intakes on their original sides.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info guys, I misspoke they are JL marine speakers. Well, I decided to move forward with the project. Taking the rear seats off was a little bit of a pain. Seriously about 10 bolts a side, not sure that's necessary but they sure as hell aren't going anywhere. I'm going to put 6x9s vertically I think. I'd like to do 4x10's horizontally below the existing cut outs but I can't find a pair that are marine grade. I'll keep you guys posted. And yes @txav8r haha, at least now I'll hopefully be able to hush the guy up next to me if needed.

Also on this project is replacing the factory mats with teak SeaDek, old mats came up no problem! Nothing like the horror stories I've heard.

Attachments

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wish there was a spot on the swim deck of my 2011 SX210 that would work to mount a pair of speakers. There isn't a single flat surface back there other than the swim deck itself and I can't see installing them facing up on the deck!

Not related to speakers, but it is an odd fact about my model of boat that there are virtually no flat surfaces anywhere on the boat outside of the vertical surfaces under the seats inside the cockpit. I suppose it is easier to build in strength without weight by using curved surfaces.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length