• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone use the Yamaha Sun Shade?

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Believe you linked to your shopping cart, that we can't see.
Pls update link to product

Edit: it works on my Mac, but not on my iPhone-

Last edited:

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
link works fine when I click on it. I dunno though im not too computer savy. You can google it comes right up.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Link works for me. The shade looks kinda ridiculous and like a pain to set up.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yes I agree jaws, but the bimini on the 242 LS doesn't cover much. While it would be pretty ugly if functional I was going to consider it. Hoping to hear from someone that uses one.

jeremy0011

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I bought it last week still wating for delivery. I was going to have a custom shade made for the front of my 212x but was quoted over $800 so $400 seams like a bargain.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't have one but a cheaper and more readily available alternative would be to use one or two beach/deck umbrellas in the table poles of the swim deck and / or cockpit of the 242s. Another mount could be added to the bow if you want to shade that area as well.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made a 3-foot bimini extension: two wake tower flag holders, some half-inch rod, bungee cord, spring clamps, a 3x5 foot banner, 6 inches of pool noodle and a few nuts/bolts/washers. In addition, I use spring clamps to hold a banner on the side where the sun is shining to create more shade in the cockpit area. Feel free to message me if you are interested in doing this yourself. I like it because it assembles/disassembles and stores easily. ... and it won't sink when I drop it in the water. I don't have a need for bow shade because we hang-out at the stern, but it would be easy enough to apply the same concept for a forward-facing extension. No problems with wind yet. I do not use it while cruising unless speed/wind is low.
Here are a few pics.
upload_2016-7-12_10-47-58.png

upload_2016-7-12_10-55-30.png

upload_2016-7-12_10-57-22.png

upload_2016-7-12_11-10-11.png

upload_2016-7-12_11-11-51.png

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice setup moose. I was thinking of something like that. When Jeremy gets his I'll wait to hear back from him see how it functions.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought it last week still wating for delivery. I was going to have a custom shade made for the front of my 212x but was quoted over $800 so $400 seams like a bargain.
WOW! And here I thought I was gonna get a custom bimini instead of buy the Yamaha one since my boat didn't come with anything but the poles. Geez. I guess we'll just buy more sunscreen.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya, I was quoted $650 for a custom bimini extension. The big reason that I didn't go with it was because there was no on-board storage option for it when not in use.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Did that price include the poles too or just the canvas? I have all of the poles, including the extension the original owner said went over the back of the boat.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, everything, but it was a useless design for me with my wake tower.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, everything, but it was a useless design for me with my wake tower.
Sorry @captainhook , I just checked my notes. The $650 price was for a bow cover. The bimini extension was over $1k, where the original canvas was being replaced with a larger custom canvas. The guy was turning my sport boat into a pontoon boat... :stop:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a 4' extension made that zips to the back of the stock Bimini, for hardware o used the set from a 230sx I used to own. Also had a custom boot made which allows me to stow the stock Bimini and extension together and already attached to the tower ready to deploy. It's nice but considering that it cost over $800 and took my seamstress a few weeks to complete if I had to do it again I probably wouldn't.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow, crazy that these things are so expensive. That's more than the cover and a lot less material.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah , if you want it to look stock it will get expensive fast especially if you use authentic sunbrella material for the extension and the boot. I said I wouldn't do it again but did so from the comfort of an air conditioned room. When the Bimini and extension are deployed (usually at anchor on a cloudless day with temps over 100 degrees) many of my crew openly restate that it is the best feature of the boat and at that time I usually feel the same way but would about a rainbow colored umbrella if that's all I had.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yeah I bet. I do have a Sportbrella we use for the beach, maybe I'll just figure out how to fasten that in some fashion. :D

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Again many have just wedged an umbrella in a table pole with some pvc and / or pool noodle segments.

charliebravo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We use a sportbrella. Simply stick the handle through the wake tower (so it rests partially on top of the Bimini). A couple of clamps can be used if wind is a concern.