• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 Random Starting Issue

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi gang,
Weird thing has happened on 2 separate outings. I have a 2017 AR190 and both times it took about 5 attempts for the engine to start. We are usually wakeboarding or finishing up wakeboarding or swapping riders and the engine doesn't want to start. It just tries and tries and tries....I will wait a few secs and try again and it won't start until about 5 tries or so...any ideas will help.

Thanks

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your going from running straight out and shutting it right off that could be the issue. After running hard let it idle for a few minutes b4 shutting down, see if that makes a difference.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some boats have reported what we assume is heat soak, basically. Has happened to me, as well. Some theorize that when running a bit and then suddenly cutting off the engine, the heat of the engine evaporates the fuel in the fuel rail. Some have reported that running the blower helps the situation; for others waiting a bit works, both when shutting down (running the engine allows it to cool with water and keeps the air moving) and then before restarting (as suggested).

Seems to be worse when it is hotter out. But because it is intermittent, I don't think we have any definitive solution to it. Some people surfing have reported issues only on the engine that is lower (and some have theorized it may be back pressure on the exhaust).

And then there are the times where it is found to be the safety switches in the wet storage area (but then the engine won't even crank) and/or the lanyard (where it cranks but will not turn over).

Anyway, hope some of that is helpful...

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some boats have reported what we assume is heat soak, basically. Has happened to me, as well. Some theorize that when running a bit and then suddenly cutting off the engine, the heat of the engine evaporates the fuel in the fuel rail. Some have reported that running the blower helps the situation; for others waiting a bit works, both when shutting down (running the engine allows it to cool with water and keeps the air moving) and then before restarting (as suggested).

Seems to be worse when it is hotter out. But because it is intermittent, I don't think we have any definitive solution to it. Some people surfing have reported issues only on the engine that is lower (and some have theorized it may be back pressure on the exhaust).

And then there are the times where it is found to be the safety switches in the wet storage area (but then the engine won't even crank) and/or the lanyard (where it cranks but will not turn over).

Anyway, hope some of that is helpful...
Thanks...that is all helpful and we will give it a try

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi gang,
Weird thing has happened on 2 separate outings. I have a 2017 AR190 and both times it took about 5 attempts for the engine to start. We are usually wakeboarding or finishing up wakeboarding or swapping riders and the engine doesn't want to start. It just tries and tries and tries....I will wait a few secs and try again and it won't start until about 5 tries or so...any ideas will help.

Thanks
I know this is going to sound strange but run the blower. We had this issue happen a few times as well and others have too. Running the blowers seemed to help. Not sure if the heat builds up so much in the engine from watersports that is causes sort of a vapor lock on the fuel system or what but the blowers seemed to always help.

JetboatDrvr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had the issue on my '16 AR 190 but I can never isolate the conditions. The best thing I have found has been mentioned. Let it idle for a few seconds (a good 5 potato count) with the blower on. When it does happen, i remove the key for a few seconds and then turn the boat back on making sure I get a good fuel pump prime and it usually starts right back up. Annoying for sure but nothing to be overly concerned about imo.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same issue here. My 190 does this from time to time. Did it twice in the last weekend on me. Both times were after sitting ALL DAY after running it hard, then idling into a no wake zone and then shutting down.

Cooling water flow is VERY LOW at idle. The pump isn't making much pressure, and if the lines are even a little clogged, flow suffers. So, just idling doesn't help the situation of cooling the engine much. Bump it up to No Wake Mode on the highest setting and sit in neutral for a few minutes while you're unloading. Then drop to idle, and shut off.

As others have mentioned. Run the blower. If I'm running WFO for any amount of time, pulling a tube, or pulling a skier, I have the blower on. It's not much wear on the blower itself, and even if it is, it's a simple and inexpensive part to replace. It helps change out the air in the engine bay with cooler air from behind the boat. This seems to help the situation, however I'm unsure if it's a warm air into the intake thing, or a cooler air over the fuel lines thing. Lots have reported it helping, and my highly unscientific experiments seem to show the same thing.

I've read of others that will open the hatch for a few minutes to let the engine cool before trying to start again as well. This is less practical with a full boat, but might help.

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi gang,

Thanks
So funny. I just reported the same issue here: almost-stranded-need-help-before-i-relaunch. Different conditions than you but the issue does seem to be common.

ehresmann5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same exact issues all last season on our 19’ AR190. I never trickle charged the battery last season and I think that was the main things but this season I trickle charge after every outing. I run Stabil Marine 360 all year, it’s cheap and seems to run better. I also run the blower anytime before we start and haven’t had a single issue this season with those changes. It would also mainly happen to issue when we were switching riders while wakeboarding. This season we got into the habit of whenever we killed the engine to switch we just turned the blower on at that point and would let it run while we would switch out riders. I also changed spark plugs mid season but I don’t think thst was our problem.

YamaNoob

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks again to all....we are planning on going out today since it will be around 85 for the high...I also got a new wakeboard that I am dying to try out!!