• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Almost stranded..need help before I relaunch.

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2020 Yamaha AR190 (35hrs)

Was on the water this past weekend and launched the boat 3 days straight in 100+ degree weather and intense sunlight, no cloud cover. We did nothing major on the water simply launched then immediately beached for the day, about 9-10 hours. All was well until the last day. About to leave the beach and head to dock, so I asked my daughter to turn the battery on and my wife to turn on the boat but it would not start until after about 3-4 attempts at turning the key. So finally we were off. We drove the boat around the lake for about 15min before we docked but when I went to turn the boat back on to trailer it, the same thing happened. This time I attached my portable jump starter but still took 3-4 attempts before the boat turned over. Below are pics of the stock battery installed when we bought the boat and the battery power reading prior to trying to start it. Actually fluctuates between 12.2V and 12.3V.

We are not comfortable relaunching before this issue is investigated, so any advice or assistance would be appreciated. I may just begin with replacing the stock battery with something else, but I'm a newbie so I have no idea if this is the right direction to follow initially.

20200908_065920.jpg

20200908_065817.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you have the throttle slightly out of neutral/starting position? This has happened to me a couple of times.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Check your battery cables for corrosion or for being loose including the engine ground wire. also if you attach a volt meter to the battery terminals and have someone turn the key look at the voltage under a load " when turning the ignition to start the engine" if it drops to 10 or less volts you may need to check the battery for a bad cell.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure hatch switches are adjusted properly
Check neutral as outside said

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure hatch switches are adjusted properly
Check neutral as outside said
When you say 'hatch switches' are you referring to little switch under the rear hatch/ upper swim deck? I'm not familiar with any others, sorry.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I am fairly certain that is what he meant.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hoping it is/was just something simple. :D

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That isn't a fully charged battery, but shouldn't prevent it from starting your engine....I'd be checking all the wiring connections first.
View attachment 132770
According to this chart... only about 60-70%. I re-seated the cables and checked for corrosion but no change. Is there a specific battery charger preferred by the forum? I want to see if I can get it up to 100%. This is where it was about 3 weeks after purchase and roughly 25 hours.

volts.PNG

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Try this as well . . . on the key move it from off (to into the run position ) not all the way to the "right" which engages the starter. At least on my boat. Try that for a few times (e.g. 3 (off to run position...wait 2 seconds, off, to run position ....wait 2 seconds, off, to run position wait 2 seconds. . . then start). See if that helps the "Hard Start" situation. What this is doing, or trying to do is re-pressurize your fuel line before cranking. (I try to do this whenever I haven't started the boat in a while or at the start of the season in the driveway).

I know what happens on my auto vehicles (My GMC Yukon had this) at times is the fuel line losses pressure when the fuel line check valve (typically near or part of the fuel pump) fails. It's a one way valve - but it fails (and then most people replace the entire fuel pump $$$$$ - when it's just the check valve.) If the valve isn't working it doesn't hold pressure in the fuel line as a result and pressure drops over time. . . without pressure (the vehicle won't start). When you try to start it a couple of times like what you've said - it eventually could be re pressurizing the fuel line (attempt 4-6) and then it works...

If the boat starts rights up after you do this "Priming" . . . after sitting . . . then it could be a fuel check valve (fuel pump) . . . especially if your battery has good charge and the connections are solid.

Maybe try this test: When your boat has been running and not sitting for a while . . . when you turn it off for 20 seconds or so. . . does it restart right away (no "hard start" is present?) <if yes, then maybe its the fuel pressure.

On cars there is a fuel line pressure port you can have someone put a gauge on to see if pressure drops in the fuel line - over time. Not sure if your model has such a port . . . but if it is dropping . . . then this may be the culprit.

Hope this may be helpful as you troubleshoot. I'm not sure this is it . . . but maybe worth a try if all other areas look ok.