• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR192 loss of power

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Late last year I noticed hesitation on hole shot I was thinking it was a consequence of tuning to 8100RPM. So I would bring up rpm instead of punching full throttle. Now the hesitation is quite bad and in addition the rpms hover instead of staying constant. For instance if I am at 6500rpm they will hover 6000-6500rpm.

Then yesterday boat stopped going over 6000rpm. I don't want to pull the boat out AGAIN. Already went back to dealer this year to replace a wear ring. Its 4hrs to pull ,drive and relaunch plus loss of another week and for sure $$$$.

I am hoping this is a plug or fuel pump issue. Thoughts?

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you checked the clean out port? Do you have a way to check the rear part of the pump for an obstruction? Is the boat wet slipped?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Late last year I noticed hesitation on hole shot I was thinking it was a consequence of tuning to 8100RPM. So I would bring up rpm instead of punching full throttle. Now the hesitation is quite bad and in addition the rpms hover instead of staying constant. For instance if I am at 6500rpm they will hover 6000-6500rpm.

Then yesterday boat stopped going over 6000rpm. I don't want to pull the boat out AGAIN. Already went back to dealer this year to replace a wear ring. Its 4hrs to pull ,drive and relaunch plus loss of another week and for sure $$$$.

I am hoping this is a plug or fuel pump issue. Thoughts?
Supercharger clutch going out?
I know it is supposed to turn only one way, if it spins both way - it's gone.

@SamCF would know more about that of he can chime in.

--

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thx for responding!

Port is fine. I just had wear ring replaced to fix a vibration. Wear ring had a hole in it!

I think this is a different issue.
It was running 7800rpm and hesitating from 7200-7800 with no change

I slowed down to 6500rpm. It was dancing from 6000-6500. Then I stopped for 5 minutes to no wake mode.. after that it stayed at 6000rpm maximum.

I was thinking it was a fuel issue but now that it stays constant at 6000 max I am thinking electrical and will change spark plugs when I get up on weekend.

Thoughts?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I would check the fuel filter first. Low fuel pressure will cause hesitation and lower rpm.

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Debug procedure:
1. Check air filter - 5min
2. Check supercharger clutch that can only spin one direction. - 5min
3. Change plugs $100 w tools
4. Check and fuel pump.
5. Give to dealer. It has 5yr warranty

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So, how long would that take to happen? The boat has always cavitated when I turn right :)
I drove it really hard for 220 hrs until the tune last fall - then another 5-10 after the tune.
I am sure that at least 50-70 of those hours are at WOT.

I don't know the actual tune - it is a custom mapping from Riva. It brought boat from 48 to 51. I don't think it goes over 8100RPM. The only other mod is the Fizzle w/ BOV plus dedicated strainer line.

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The cavitation burn makes sense. I am new to these jet boats and only got interested in tuning because of the heat soak issue

I need to get the loss of RPM issue resolved first. Will go through the checklist and respond back after this weekend.

At least we have the 2 new Sparks up there so I can get my fix ;)

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So, here's the update and it's not great.

The dealer water tested and said the SC clutch was slipping so they replaced it under warranty.
I don't think they lake tested it after the clutch change because it was hesitating on takeoff (5000RPM) or so. The dealership is 20minutes from the water and I think this affects their ability to debug.
This got worse over the weekend until on Sunday it wouldn't go over 6000RPM again for a few seconds. Then it took off and ran fine rest of day.
Yesterday it wouldn't go over 5800 RPM again at all.

SO, I am still fighting 2 issues.
1) There is hot water in the engine compartment. For the life of me I don't know why the dealer didn't find during lake test. There is a clear drip off the engine right where a hose is attached.
2) RPM doesn't go over 6000.

At this point , we have lost 3 weekends with the boat. Short summer up here. 90% of our boating is done by 1st week of September.

Thoughts?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you try the simple things like air filter and fuel filter? The air filter could be clogged by oil. It doesn't take long to remove the air filter and see if the situation improves. I don't run an air filter anymore. Fuel filter is a little more complicated because it's on the bottom of the fuel pump.

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So, took it back to dealer and clutch is gone again - after 2 hrs!
This time won't be covered under warranty.

Not sure what to do at this point. Dealer told me that the engine has been at WOT 80 of the 220hrs and it's not designed for that.

I understand that 80hrs at WOT without a BOV would wear out a clutch but after 2hrs?

I'm going to remove the tune and keep fingers crossed.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dealer told me that the engine has been at WOT 80 of the 220hrs and it's not designed for that.
With all due respect that is a bunch of horse shit.
Those are continuous duty engines designed to run WOT as long as you want. Are they built that way? They better be!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to remove the tune and keep fingers crossed.
Oh I missed that part!
If you are running an tune, all bets are off.
Especially if you exceed factory rev limit.