• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR192 Wakesurfing

Matt Appler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I've read through the forums here looking for anyone surfing behind their AR192. It seems some have tried and may have had success. Could anyone doing this successfully let me know what your setup is? I've been surfing behind my friend's Moomba and Mastercraft wakesurfing boats, but would love to see if it is possible behind my AR192.

Thank you in advance,
-Matt

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not really going to be in the same league with the wave but it is possible. I have surfed behind a sx190 with a 750 bag on the seat and 3 people in the boat.

str8jkn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were able to surf ropeless yesterday on our AR192. We attached the inland curl gen 2 wakeshaper to the bottom back of the hull and had 2 540 lb ballasts. One across the back seat that was 1/2 full and a full 540 lb ballast on the upper step of the swim platform where the wet storage access is. It worked well. There’s still plenty of weight that can be added before we reach weight capacity for the boat. I’ll upload a video as soon as I figure out how to change the extension

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
We were able to surf ropeless yesterday on our AR192. We attached the inland curl gen 2 wakeshaper to the bottom back of the hull and had 2 540 lb ballasts. One across the back seat that was 1/2 full and a full 540 lb ballast on the upper step of the swim platform where the wet storage access is. It worked well. There’s still plenty of weight that can be added before we reach weight capacity for the boat. I’ll upload a video as soon as I figure out how to change the extension
Can you show us a picture of where you mounted the wakeshapper with the boat on the trailer?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Today was our second attempt at surfing behind the 192. This time we ran a full 800 lbs on the swim deck on port side, about 400 in the port side rear compartment, and 400 in the ski locker. It was listed to the surf side. The swim deck was barely under water on that side. My son only weighs 75 lbs and he was getting really good push, but i couldn't get anywhere with it. I thought it would be much easier to get a wave with that much ballast. I've seen where some surfed with only a 750 so I know it can be done. I'm just not sure what to try.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today was our second attempt at surfing behind the 192. This time we ran a full 800 lbs on the swim deck on port side, about 400 in the port side rear compartment, and 400 in the ski locker. It was listed to the surf side. The swim deck was barely under water on that side. My son only weighs 75 lbs and he was getting really good push, but i couldn't get anywhere with it. I thought it would be much easier to get a wave with that much ballast. I've seen where some surfed with only a 750 so I know it can be done. I'm just not sure what to try.
I'm sure you tried various speeds, but may need to go as slow as 9mph.

--

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@swatski I tried 9.5-10.8 mph. Any lower speed caused the wave to be really close to the swim deck. Like fall and hit your head on the boat close.

I think my next step will be to relocate the battery so I can get a full 540 in that compartment or even more if a larger bag will fit.

Another issue is steam coming out of the exhaust. I know that's all it is, but it looks really odd. I wonder if more water in the exhaust would stop it or at least make it less of an issue.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I tried 9.5-10.8 mph. Any lower speed caused the wave to be really close to the swim deck. Like fall and hit your head on the boat close.

I think my next step will be to relocate the battery so I can get a full 540 in that compartment or even more if a larger bag will fit.

Another issue is steam coming out of the exhaust. I know that's all it is, but it looks really odd. I wonder if more water in the exhaust would stop it or at least make it less of an issue.
Looking at post #7 pic... There has got to be a way!
Maybe you have too much ballast... it could be placement.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/ropeless-behind-my-sx190.2980/

Or - @jcyamaharider actually walks on water.
He's a Saintlunatic, after all.

--

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I've found that ballast in the ski locker made the wave worse. The best placement I've come up with so far has been a 350 under the rear port seat along with both batteries in that compartment, and a 540 on top of that seat. I haven't had a real big crew on board while surfing, but sometimes it seemed to help a little if one of my 200 lb buddies sat up in the bow in front of the driver. Then again, sometimes it didn't.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anything lower than 10.5 mph and the wave just comes way too close and there's no push. My wave looks the best and is longest at around 11.0-11.5 or so but you need to have more than 1,000 lbs of ballast. I don't have Ridesteady so this takes some constant adjustment of throttle to maintain a wave like you want it. If I'm running lighter crew or ballast then I cut the speeds back so the wave gets taller but also closer and shorter overall.

1400 lbs and speed was around 11 mph. Ballast on top of rear seats 60/40 split favoring surf side. No ballast on swim deck.

image.jpeg

Here's only 750 lbs ballast + 350-400 lbs of human ballast. Not sure of the speeds but probably 10.5 or so...\

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Anything lower than 10.5 mph and the wave just comes way too close and there's no push. My wave looks the best and is longest at around 11.0-11.5 or so but you need to have more than 1,000 lbs of ballast. I don't have Ridesteady so this takes some constant adjustment of throttle to maintain a wave like you want it. If I'm running lighter crew or ballast then I cut the speeds back so the wave gets taller but also closer and shorter overall.

1400 lbs and speed was around 11 mph. Ballast on top of rear seats 60/40 split favoring surf side. No ballast on swim deck.

View attachment 74243

Here's only 750 lbs ballast + 350-400 lbs of human ballast. Not sure of the speeds but probably 10.5 or so...\

View attachment 74244

View attachment 74245
I was really trying to avoid bags on the seats, but it looks like that is what it's going to take. I really want to make this boat work for another 5 years, and surfing is the direction my kids want to go.

I'll try 400 under port side seat and a 540 bag on top of port side seat. Then add to the ski locker bag until it looks right.

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Buy a fsh no seat cushions. haha mine sets rt on the deck more than 1000 plus people seems like it would be to much for a single engine . I mean these engines are designed basically to have 3 people sitting on top of them initially for a ski I think too much weight on a single is just going to put a strain on that engine after so many years ! Who's going to be the first one to do a LS swap on this form looks like it would maybe fit. And you would get extra ballast in the back

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mean these engines are designed basically to have 3 people sitting on top of them initially for a ski I think too much weight on a single is just going to put a strain on that engine after so many years !
No.

Unlike open propeller driven vessels (inboard, outboard, stern drives etc) which create excessive engine loads when "lugging" to get on plane, jet boat drives DO NOT experience this phenomenon.

When the throttle is pushed, the engine accelerates immediately to engine speed!
The jet instantly pumps the amount of water for the selected speed - and the boat catches up.

In other words, jet boat drives tend to operate (almost) always at maximum efficiency. The engine and the drive train never experience the level of duress that conventional propeller driven vessels experience.

Consequently, jet drive life is (generally speaking) NOT reduced in proportion to how "hard" it works or the number of hours accumulated at partial planning speeds - such as during wake surfing. That's why we do it that way with no ill effects on the drive train.

--

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I was really trying to avoid bags on the seats, but it looks like that is what it's going to take. I really want to make this boat work for another 5 years, and surfing is the direction my kids want to go.

I'll try 400 under port side seat and a 540 bag on top of port side seat. Then add to the ski locker bag until it looks right.
Look at buying the ballast bag that that jcyamaharider designed for the 19’s. I’m optimistic that one 400lb bag under the port seat and the bag below on the back combined with inland curls wake shaper may do the trick. Obviously some people as well but this would make virtually no bags taking up space in the boat. If this is not enough there is always the ski locker.

Please see attached pdf

Attached Files:

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Look at buying the ballast bag that that jcyamaharider designed for the 19’s. I’m optimistic that one 400lb bag under the port seat and the bag below on the back combined with inland curls wake shaper may do the trick. Obviously some people as well but this would make virtually no bags taking up space in the boat. If this is not enough there is always the ski locker.

Please see attached pdf

Attached Files:

I'm watching that thread for results on a 19' boat.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Found this on Inland Curl Wakeshaper Facebook page. 192 with 800 lbs ballast plus their product. The wave looks about like mine does already. Is it the board and a light weight surfer that makes it possible?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Found this on Inland Curl Wakeshaper Facebook page. 192 with 800 lbs ballast plus their product. The wave looks about like mine does already. Is it the board and a light weight surfer that makes it possible?

This guy is good. He could probably surf behind a jon boat, lol.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@SamCF see this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/has-anyone-seen-this-wake-shaper-yet.16809/

The board that is a hyperlite landlock and they are made to surf on small waves and bigger guys can often ropeless on them. So the board definitely helps. My LF Fish is nowhere near as buoyant as the Landlock and I haven't had success going ropeless on it. Had better success on CWB hybrid boards. I plan to add a hyperlite landlock and give it a try. All the videos I've seen on it show it's able to ride slow but on small waves and bigger guys. It won't be as fast as my Fish but I don't need speed with our small waves.

Last edited:

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@SamCF see this thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/has-anyone-seen-this-wake-shaper-yet.16809/

The board that is a hyperlite landlock and they are made to surf on small waves and bigger guys can often ropeless on them. So the board definitely helps. My LF Fish is nowhere near as buoyant as the Landlock and I haven't had success going ropeless on it. Had better success on CWB hybrid boards. I plan to add a hyperlite landlock and give it a try. All the videos I've seen on it show it's able to ride slow but on small waves and bigger guys. It won't be as fast as my Fish but I don't need speed with our small waves.
I'm looking at the Landlock and the Ronix Longboard. Ready to get back on the water and play with ballast.

Van T

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is anybody try a beater board - Odyssey surf yet they now make wakesurf Edition boards it shows each boards volume on their website and they have a lot more than most wakesurf boards will help with bigger guys and small waves and they hold up good and cheap .I'm sure someone will have some technical b.s to say but I am a real experienced surfer I know these work good on Beach breaks and they are soft tops don't hurt as bad trying tricks.