• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ar195 bow subwoofer enclosure

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may want to double check that..... I think the enclosed version is labeled 10W5...not 10IB5. I'm pretty sure "IB" denotes "infinite baffle".

http://intl.jlaudio.com/m10ib5-cg-wh-marine-audio-m-series-subwoofer-drivers-91780
I don’t remember all the technical detail involved and what implications it carries for the sound quality but some boaters deliberately enclose those infinite baffle subs to get more horsepower out of them. My read on that was that’s exactly what I would do if I ever mount an extra sub.

Found the thread I was looking for with @davidanalog comment
Check post #9
https://jetboaters.net/threads/not-another-subwoofer-and-stereo-talk-sound-video-clips.16494/

--

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Found the thread I was looking for with @davidanalog comment
Check post #9
https://jetboaters.net/threads/not-another-subwoofer-and-stereo-talk-sound-video-clips.16494/

--
Roger that! I'm always for whatever works. I had not ever heard that nor read that thread. Very interesting info. Good luck and I hope it's everything you want..... I'm always looking for ways to add more bass. I have a ported enclosure built for a Wetsounds XXXV2 and if it didn't take up so much room, I'd add another!

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting. Maybe I'll buy a M10w5 and see which one is better in this type of enclosure. It wouldn't be the first time I've had to buy multiple subs to get the sound I wanted.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Interesting. Maybe I'll buy a M10w5 and see which one is better in this type of enclosure. It wouldn't be the first time I've had to buy multiple subs to get the sound I wanted.
I wouldn't do that yet..... Go with what you have....it may be exactly what you are looking for. After all, we talking about boats, not a recording studio.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't do that yet..... Go with what you have....it may be exactly what you are looking for. After all, we talking about boats, not a recording studio.
You're right. I'll run what I have and I'll go from there.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20190123_053608_1548371172873_001.jpgsanded and ready for paint.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are the plans for wiring? How are you gonna get wires into/out of that box and to an amp? I know my kids absolutely drench that area when we're at anchor.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are the plans for wiring? How are you gonna get wires into/out of that box and to an amp? I know my kids absolutely drench that area when we're at anchor.
I'm thinking about going through the bottom of the enclosure then under the front seats. The wires won't be exposed at all.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks to be turning out nicely. The JL M series 10 inch IB was designed for at least 2 cuft of air volume. Less air volume will shorten the stroke and could lead to some odd slightly off frequency output at high volumes. The non ib sub wants a little under 1 cuft. Hard to tell what you have there but filling it with water then measuring the water volume that comes out will give you the needed data.

Any concerns about the back or side walls of the box causing unwated oscillation induced vibration against the boat fiberglass?

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks to be turning out nicely. The JL M series 10 inch IB was designed for at least 2 cuft of air volume. Less air volume will shorten the stroke and could lead to some odd slightly off frequency output at high volumes. The non ib sub wants a little under 1 cuft. Hard to tell what you have there but filling it with water then measuring the water volume that comes out will give you the needed data.

Any concerns about the back or side walls of the box causing unwated oscillation induced vibration against the boat fiberglass?
Yeah it could sound terrible but it could sound awesome. I will be posting about the sound this weekend. I've had to swap out subs before to get the sound I wanted. Yeah I will find out the cuft by the water method, I'll do that after I sound test it. Yes you read my mind, I will see how a rubber type spray will work or maybe a thin waterproof fabric. Plasti dip may work.

Last edited:

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looks really good. how does it sound??
Thanks. Unfortunately it doesnt sound good with this sub. I will have to go a different direction with the subwoofer. Looking at the JL M10W5 or back to my usual Alpine type-s.

zrated512

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. Unfortunately it doesnt sound good with this sub. I will have to go a different direction with the subwoofer. Looking at the JL M10W5 or back to my usual Alpine type-s.
Thats a bummer man, but that's part of it i suppose! TBH im not a big fan of IB subs. My buddy has 3 10" M10IB subs in his regal and it sounds good but not as good as you would expect for the cost and qty of 3 10" subs.. I ended up going with 2 10" w3v3...

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looks really awesome.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looks great - I still think you have room to mount under the bench seat. I put 2 there on my SX210.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great - I still think you have room to mount under the bench seat. I put 2 there on my SX210.
I have my coolers under there though lol.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That does look pretty sick...eliminates the lack up bass up front once you get it dialed in!

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My 2015 sx192 setup:
- 4 Wetsounds XS-650 driven by Wetsounds HTX4
- 2 Wetsounds Rev 10 tower speakers driven by Wetsounds Syn DX2 (I installed a tower)
- Wetsounds WS-420BT (I removed the stereo unit)
- Rockford Fostgate P300-12 in the storage compartment under the stereo <-----this thing CHEAP sub kicks ass!
- Wetsounds AS-10 enclosed sub <-----Bought this thinking it would outperform the P300-12 and NOPE. I WASTED CLOSE TO $700 THERE!

....if you have money to throw around, get one of those Rockford Fostgate p300-12 and tryi it out.