• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ar195 bow subwoofer enclosure

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started building a fiberglass subwoofer enclosure for my AR195. Theres not a ton of area anywhere else on the AR195 for this large of a sub so that's why I choose this location. I will be using a JL marine m10IB5 subwoofer. The enclosure will be fully coated with resin to resist moisture. I've built several enclosures in the past for my cars and they all have turned out great. I have also installed a Sony MEX-XB120BT 45x4 rms, rockford fosgate TM1000x5ad, and JL audio 7.7 tower speakers. My setup is pobably a lot different then most lol. I will post progress pictures.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting, looking forward to seeing the outcome! You going to gelcoat the outside so it blends in?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My buddies with the big wake boat ALWAYS leave the bow filler cushion in, and use the space under that area as storage. Makes perfect sense to put a sub there now that I think about it.

I'm subscribing to watch the progress!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No room next to driver or passenger?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
An 8in would be a tight fit.
Hmmm y'all mean the side of the helm? If so ,the 2015 AR192 I test drove before buying my 2016 had a 12" sub mounted on the side of the drivers helm, across from the port helm storage door. I want to say it was a Kicker sub and not sure of the specs regarding depth etc. There is quite a bit of room in there to mount a sub (see attached pic).

That being said a custom enclosure made to match a sub will always sound and perform better and I'm sure yours is gonna rock! I always use my bow filler and this would be a nice way to hide it all. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sanded then fiberglass a tshirt over the box.
Huh. Always learn something new here!
Does it need to be cotton or does polyester work as well? Just roll it like glass mat on top? Ingenious.

I think I'm gonna go with that! Can you do that with regular canvas prints?

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmm y'all mean the side of the helm? If so ,the 2015 AR192 I test drove before buying my 2016 had a 12" sub mounted on the side of the drivers helm, across from the port helm storage door. I want to say it was a Kicker sub and not sure of the specs regarding depth etc. There is quite a bit of room in there to mount a sub (see attached pic).

That being said a custom enclosure made to match a sub will always sound and perform better and I'm sure yours is gonna rock! I always use my bow filler and this would be a nice way to hide it all. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
I agree. I like what the OP is doing very much, but it is certainly possible to install subs on both sides inside the helm comps in a 190, I've done it in my old sx190, it worked very well!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/budget-stereo-upgrade-for-sx190.8836/

--

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh. Always learn something new here!
Does it need to be cotton or does polyester work as well? Just roll it like glass mat on top? Ingenious.

I think I'm gonna go with that! Can you do that with regular canvas prints?

--
Polyster and cotton for the stretch.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We used t-shirts as well when I did car stereo installation back in the day. It works very well when needing to form complex shapes. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Isn't the JL M10IB5 for infinite baffle applications?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The the M10IB5 is meant for IB, but works sealed too. They make both a M10IB5 and a M10W5.

"The M8IB5, M10IB5 and M12IB6 subwoofers are optimized for high-power, infinite-baffle operation and can be installed in a variety of locations, without the need for a dedicated enclosure behind it."

@swatski, I found old t-shirts to be difficult with the stitch lines, I usually bought cheap fabric at wal-mart, thicker and it soaks up the resin really good.

@OP - Looks good so far. Do you plan on adding a second baffle to flush mount it? What is the finish going to be?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may want to double check that..... I think the enclosed version is labeled 10W5...not 10IB5. I'm pretty sure "IB" denotes "infinite baffle".

http://intl.jlaudio.com/m10ib5-cg-wh-marine-audio-m-series-subwoofer-drivers-91780
I don’t remember all the technical detail involved and what implications it carries for the sound quality but some boaters deliberately enclose those infinite baffle subs to get more horsepower out of them. My read on that was that’s exactly what I would do if I ever mount an extra sub.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The the M10IB5 is meant for IB, but works sealed too. They make both a M10IB5 and a M10W5.

"The M8IB5, M10IB5 and M12IB6 subwoofers are optimized for high-power, infinite-baffle operation and can be installed in a variety of locations, without the need for a dedicated enclosure behind it."

@swatski, I found old t-shirts to be difficult with the stitch lines, I usually bought cheap fabric at wal-mart, thicker and it soaks up the resin really good.

@OP - Looks good so far. Do you plan on adding a second baffle to flush mount it? What is the finish going to be?
No other plans for now. Rust-Oleum 206999 Marine Topside Paint, Gloss White, 1-Quart will be the finish.