• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR210 vs AR240

Mwilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone, I am in the process of purchasing a new boat a 2020 AR210 and wanted to get some personal opinions on whether the AR240 is a better buy. Our family consists of 6 people and probably will take a couple of friends every once and a while along to our local lake and possibly to the coastal sound. What boat would you all get the AR210 or AR240?

Thanks

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone, I am in the process of purchasing a new boat a 2020 AR210 and wanted to get some personal opinions on whether the AR240 is a better buy. Our family consists of 6 people and probably will take a couple of friends every once and a while along to our local lake and possibly to the coastal sound. What boat would you all get the AR210 or AR240?

Thanks
I test drove both and decided I liked the room of the 240 better. Also was a big fan of the 2 captains chairs vs the bench of the 210. The 2 1.8 engines vs the TR-1 was also a deciding factor for myself. Nothing wrong with the 210 I just liked the 240 better.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This all comes down to economics...why not the 275 while your at it? Know what I mean.

What is your budget? Price difference is..what...$12k?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
240 for sure, if 6 is your regular crew.

5 of us. We kept our 210 about a year and a half before getting a 24’.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5 or 6 is great on a 210 but since your family is 6, I suggest at least the 24. Also, if you are at a higher elevation you need at least the 212 series for the 1.8 engines

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Family of 5 here and we went for the 240AR.

Funny story. When I was looking at getting it, I was going to get the 210AR. Took a buddy of mine to lunch (he is a boat guy) and went over all of what I had learned about the Yamaha, the jets, the AR210, the lot. At the end, he tells me, 'Looks good. Looks like you did your homework. That all looks good. Just one thing.' What? 'Get the 24 footer.' He went on to explain that by the time each of the kids brings a friend... Or you go out with another family of 5... Or... Turns out he was right.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Mwilly

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
5 or 6 is great on a 210 but since your family is 6, I suggest at least the 24. Also, if you are at a higher elevation you need at least the 212 series for the 1.8 engines
Thanks for the information. I should have been more specific. Our family of 6 consist of 4 small children (combined weight of 1 adult). But, I also think about long term. Do folks typically trade or upgrade every 5 -10 year. Sorry we are JetBoat rookie.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, in 5-10 years those 4 small children will be teenagers with more friends...

As to how frequently people go through boats, I would say it varies greatly, but most hold them for awhile. Look at some of the dates on the boats around the site here. You will find '06 and '07 without a problem--and several of those have had them since new. All depends.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the information. I should have been more specific. Our family of 6 consist of 4 small children (combined weight of 1 adult). But, I also think about long term. Do folks typically trade or upgrade every 5 -10 year. Sorry we are JetBoat rookie.
The 24' have to be close to being redesigned so while you sound like your family size would do well with 24', I would go with a nice used 2016 24 for now. You can learn how to bang it into docks, not worry about what the kids eat, use whatever sunscreen, etc..... Once the kids are teenagers, you could upgrade to new which will be better still and by that time you may even change to a wakeboard purpose boat, pontoon, or sailboat. Who knows .... Again, if money and resources are not an issue you could go with the 27', a Scarab 28 or Nautique

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I stated above that I upgraded to a 240 from a 210 after just 18 months. But as @4x15mph mentioned... I don’t regret that path one bit. I started with a used boat. It wasn’t babied much, I didn’t mind if the kids had Fruit punch or Cheetos.

Once we determined that we are going to stay a boating family and how we intend to use the boat, that’s when we upgraded and are now more particular about which snacks get brought along, etc.

If I was looking for a used boat, I would be looking toward a ‘14 242 Ltd S. For some reason, I love the red boat in that model year. And could probably be had for low 40’s if memory serves. (I could be wrong - I really haven’t paid much attention)

An ‘11 or so SX210 would probably be mid 20’s, I would guess.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reason 1: If this is a question now, I feel it will continue to be a question later. You might be able to get by with the 210 and even be content with it, but if you're like me you'll always have that little want for more in the back of your mind. That's one reason to go bigger.

Reason 2: Space. With 6 in the immediate family you will appreciate the room to spread out from one another. Once you add yours and hear in the picture, it will be even more appreciated.

Reason 3: Power. The AR240 has larger more powerful engines. When fully loaded and trying to do activites, like pulling tubes, wakeboarding it will have better performance. The TR1 can be under powered in certain circumstances. If you're st any sort of higher elevation, there's significant power loss. Heavily loaded, it may struggle. If you're even considering wakesurfing, it's very possible on a 210, but it will struggle as you start to pursue ballast. The AR240 can power thru.

Reason 4: Handling. It's not terribly bigger around the dock, but it is most preferable in rough conditions.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well Ill give you my advise.
Its just 2 of us. We are in our late 20s. Young professionals with no kids. We do not live on the lake so we tow our boat. There is a difference in 21' vs 24' when towing. I knew this would not be our last boat. We purchased used 212X. Saved some money, got upgraded engines, and will determine this summer if we love wake surfing. If we do love surfing in 2 - 3 years we might purchase our forever boat. This was also our first boat so we knew there would be some projects and mods we wanted to do. Going used save us a great deal of cash. I doubt we will ever purchase a boat new. Rather find a mint couple old boat and save thousands of dollars.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
in 2 - 3 years we might purchase our forever boat.
I’m not sure that’s really a thing. Lol ;)

I’m only a year in on this boat and already watching YouTube videos of other boats....