• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR210 Wakesurf setups

mahtin15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions on wakesurf setups behind a 2018 ar120. I've seen people say the wake booster + ballast bags. What bags work well for everyone? I've see so many opinions.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I can kind of answer this as we have the same hull design, however I think you have the smaller motors vs. my 1.8l?

Wake surfing behind these boats can be done, but it takes some patience and trial and error. In order of importance is IMHO:

1. Lake depth: You need 12' absolute minimum, 16+ or more feet is better.
  2. Speed control: You need a way to maintain the speed - the "cruise control" that comes stock on our boats doesn't work that great as it's based on RPM and not GPS speed. I installed @Ridesteady speed control on mine and absolutely love it because I can dial in speed at a tenth of a MPH. Because of weight distribution and weight +/- when different people are surfing, speed for a good wave is super sensitive behind these boats. A lightweight rider might need a different speed for optimal wave settings if all the heavy people are in the boat, whereas if one of the heavy people are ready to surf, now you need to adjust for that 250lbs being out of the boat and in the water.
  3. Hull pitch & roll: You want to setup your boat with the optimal hull bow pitch in order to get the boat at speed AND create the perfect amount of water flowing quickly behind the boat, so that your surf wave has push. However, too much can lead to a steep wave with a lot of push but a very small pocket. Subsequently, your starboard-port roll is also important, with your goal of leaning the boat on the surf wave side, either with ballast, humans, or a combo of both.
  4. Ballast: The rear bag made by WakeMakers is fantastic to sink the stern platform of the boat below the waterline and works really well if you have a light crew. I also use a ballast bag in the ski locker and have available another 500lb bag for the floor. However be aware of your crew weight as overloading with water ballast can easily prevent the boat from getting to surf speed.
  5. Wave shaper: The formation of a clean wave can be done with the Yamaha Wake Booster or the other aftermarket addons (if they're still made). Don't bother with buying/trying a stick on wave shaper as they don't go low enough below the waterlines on our boats and don't work with twin engine jets.
  6. Board types: Skim boards can be used behind our boat, but because we don't put out the fat waves of a vdrive, I've found that they really only work well for lightweight riders. The hybrid board that comes with the Yamaha surf package is a nice go between, and I've REALLY had a lot of fun with the longer surf-style boards. They don't allow for a lot of tricks, but you can get nearly everyone up and let them toss the rope.

mahtin15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can kind of answer this as we have the same hull design, however I think you have the smaller motors vs. my 1.8l?

Wake surfing behind these boats can be done, but it takes some patience and trial and error. In order of importance is IMHO:

1. Lake depth: You need 12' absolute minimum, 16+ or more feet is better.
  2. Speed control: You need a way to maintain the speed - the "cruise control" that comes stock on our boats doesn't work that great as it's based on RPM and not GPS speed. I installed @Ridesteady speed control on mine and absolutely love it because I can dial in speed at a tenth of a MPH. Because of weight distribution and weight +/- when different people are surfing, speed for a good wave is super sensitive behind these boats. A lightweight rider might need a different speed for optimal wave settings if all the heavy people are in the boat, whereas if one of the heavy people are ready to surf, now you need to adjust for that 250lbs being out of the boat and in the water.
  3. Hull pitch & roll: You want to setup your boat with the optimal hull bow pitch in order to get the boat at speed AND create the perfect amount of water flowing quickly behind the boat, so that your surf wave has push. However, too much can lead to a steep wave with a lot of push but a very small pocket. Subsequently, your starboard-port roll is also important, with your goal of leaning the boat on the surf wave side, either with ballast, humans, or a combo of both.
  4. Ballast: The rear bag made by WakeMakers is fantastic to sink the stern platform of the boat below the waterline and works really well if you have a light crew. I also use a ballast bag in the ski locker and have available another 500lb bag for the floor. However be aware of your crew weight as overloading with water ballast can easily prevent the boat from getting to surf speed.
  5. Wave shaper: The formation of a clean wave can be done with the Yamaha Wake Booster or the other aftermarket addons (if they're still made). Don't bother with buying/trying a stick on wave shaper as they don't go low enough below the waterlines on our boats and don't work with twin engine jets.
  6. Board types: Skim boards can be used behind our boat, but because we don't put out the fat waves of a vdrive, I've found that they really only work well for lightweight riders. The hybrid board that comes with the Yamaha surf package is a nice go between, and I've REALLY had a lot of fun with the longer surf-style boards. They don't allow for a lot of tricks, but you can get nearly everyone up and let them toss the rope.
Thank you so much. I've bought the wakebooster and I'm trying to decide on what else to get. Ballast seems like that should be my next thing on my list.

Ridesteady

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you so much. I've bought the wakebooster and I'm trying to decide on what else to get. Ballast seems like that should be my next thing on my list.
I would say ballast is the next step indeed. After you've got that set up, you may start to understand the value of speed control. Happy to answer any questions you have, either here or privately!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would say ballast is the next step indeed. After you've got that set up, you may start to understand the value of speed control. Happy to answer any questions you have, either here or privately!
@mahtin15, just an FYI - A+ for Ridesteady sales, support, and service! Highly recommended!

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
+1 on the Ridesteady. Best mod on the boat by far and it is a must for watersports. Plus the added bonus of throttle sync. No more tapping sticks back and forth to match rpm's.