• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR220 - Chartplotter

Ivan2524

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you that have an AR220 and installed a Chartplotter can post a few pics of where you mounted and which model you went with. I just bought an AR220, picking it up in a month or so and want to get a chartplotter but I'm torn on the size, brand, etc... If I had an idea what others have done that would definitely make it an easier decision. Thanks!!

mtudb24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the same boat (no pun intended. HHAHA). Talking with dealer, I think we're going with the Garmin Echomap 5" UHD2 on a adjustable ball mount and mount it between the Phone holder and the Connext screen on top of the dash. Won't have mine until middle of April but thats the plan on what they will install.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 24’ boat and mounted a Garmin 73SV on a RAM mount just above the throttles. It worked out great and is easy to see without being in the way. This isn’t a great photo (it’s only the cradle) but it’s all that I have at the moment.

IMG_2514.jpeg

Ivan2524

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys!!! I ended up going with the Garmin 93sv, looks like I'll definitely need to get the RAM mount or something similar. I'll post some pics once it's installed. Thanks again.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ivan2524

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great, I was a little nervous that it may be too big but I think it looks great. Thanks for the pic and info.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
+1 on the Garmin. But no matter what you get, put it on a RAM mount of some sort, as it allows flexibility, and access to buttons.

We have a Simrad Go7 in the Yamaha, and it is fixed mounted, and blocks the switches for lights etc. But the mapping is amazing, and works well. It is obvious that Simrad is the big brother to Lowrance, as it is much more suited as a multi purpose device and not just fishing focused.

My fishing boat/ice rig has a Garmin 93 and just added a 106 this winter as a second display in the bow/stern, or front and back of the skid house. The navionics maps are good too. But mine were bought for bottom structure and less for navigation.

Watch the garmin models, as the second digit determines if you get inland or offshore maps. ie, I bought the 93 as it has Navionics for inland, where as I think it's the 94, has offshore maps, but same unit otherwise.

You can also save loads on garmins if you buy last years transducer. I got the 54 rather than the newer 56. If you are just using it for nav, or minimal fishing, the 'ducer will not matter at all. I saved a pile on my pair of Garmins, as I bought the previous year model, and even bought the previous model livescope, 32 rather than 34, and have been very happy with them.

I am currently in the middle of moving my garmin equipment/livescope, and dual bank charger from the skid house to the boat. Oof! But these two units networked together in the skid house were awesome. We could see 4 lines down at one time on two screens!

1711029794657.png

Ivan2524

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, you've got a great setup. When I started looking into which unit I was going with it was like going down a rabbit's hole with so many varying opinions. I narrowed it down to the Simrad GO7/GO9 or the Garmin 73/93 (wasn't sure on the size). I ended up going with last years 93sv model with the 54 transducer ($699), I'll mostly be on lakes so for what I'll end up using it for I'm sure it will be fine. Being new to this forum, it's amazing how much good info is shared, it's very much appreciated for a newcomer like myself. Thanks again.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, you've got a great setup. When I started looking into which unit I was going with it was like going down a rabbit's hole with so many varying opinions. I narrowed it down to the Simrad GO7/GO9 or the Garmin 73/93 (wasn't sure on the size). I ended up going with last years 93sv model with the 54 transducer ($699), I'll mostly be on lakes so for what I'll end up using it for I'm sure it will be fine. Being new to this forum, it's amazing how much good info is shared, it's very much appreciated for a newcomer like myself. Thanks again.
You gotta be realistic with what you are going to do with it. Since in our yamaha I rarely fish, any map will work. But with pre-loaded Navionics on the Simrad and the Garmin with free updates, either will be fine.

Now fishing, I like the way the garmin handles waypoints, was easy to operate with gloves (winter) and the kicker was I wanted live imaging for fishing. So that sent me in the direction of Garmin for livescope. Still totally not needed in the Yamaha. But If I had not had the Simrad, I would have gone Garmin and pulled it in the fall to use in the fish house. I ended up doing that every spring/fall with the fishing boat instead (smile)

In the Yamaha, the 7" was more than adequate, but a person does not save much going smaller. I do have an NMEA network, so it could exchange info with the stereo, but that was not important, they are right next to each other. The Garmin's have that as well, but use actual Ethernet to connect together, so that was easy to setup a network in my fish house and boat to share the livescope and transducers.

They next step may be to put a cradle for one of my Garmin Echomaps in my SXS, so that I have my lake maps on the dash while running. So far, I can find my location on the lake using Ride Command in the dash and then fire up a Garmin when I get close, or use Navionics app on my phone to get in a general area.