• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR240 now or wait for 2017 212X

IvanS

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Here is my situation. I made the mistake of buying my first boat and not my second boat as any beginner should do. (Now more than ever I think when fences to buy your "first" boat you should buy the second you would buy) I went last weekend to Dallas Boat Expo and fell in love with the new AR240. For some time over I have been tempted to get a bigger boat, not that I have outgrown my AR192, but I'm getting ready for the future. Last summer, when it was decided that I wanted a bigger boat I started reading and seeking information about the AR212X and I thought that would be my next boat. When in September the new 2016 arrive and realize that the 212x's did not get any love I was very disappointed. Now I have the uncertainty whether I should wait to see how the 2017 AR212X comes or if I just should buy the AR240 and avoid some headaches in the future.
I know Im going to get a hit (lose a lot of money) with this trade, but Im willing to take it only once not twice.
Any advice?

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with your point of buying 2nd boat first... if i could do it all over again, i would also have gone 24'. I came very close to upgrading... i would love the tower.. but someone on this forum asked me "if i upgrade, will i get an additional $30,000 of enjoyment out of my boat?" (assuming i buy a new AR240 for $55K out the door and sell mine for $25k)...

I couldnt answer that question with yes... because i would do the exact same things i do today (float around in a cove and drink beer 75% of the time) and drive around/water sports the rest, but i have no issues with power or space so far... so i decided to be happy with what i have for now...

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When does Yamaha release info on next years models? I'm curious with what they will do with the '17's.

IvanS

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@MattFX4 usually Yamaha release information about their new line up around September, somebody please correct me if Im wrong.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@IvanS the underlying question that needs answered first is, do you feel the need for a 24 or a 21' boat? I think the answer to that question will drive your decision. If your boating style demands the extra room of a 24' then go for it! If not then waiting to see what they come out with makes sense. Also consider towing and storage. How do those impact you between a 24 and a 21?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you keep wondering and waiting on the next boat before squeezing the trigger you will never get the next boat or it will take a lot longer and be more expensive than your current options. Someone here is selling their 2015 242 Ls with 4 years remaining on the warranty for $48k if you are in the market for a 24" Yamaha jet boat consider looking into it, best deal I have seen yet. The next best being here ilon the west coast, a new left over for $50k ish, probably no extended warranty though, not sure didn't want to look too close and be tempted.

Last edited:

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I originally had a 2004 Crownline 190BR. Sold it in 2012 for a new AR190. Never operating or even being in a jet boat, and being a little skeptical about the handling, the 190 was the right choice for me. I traded the 12' in for a new 13' 212X. Didn't lose much at all in the trade, but I did it at the right time when the 190's were hot! If I had waited another season, I would've lost my shirt. That said - I never regretted getting the 190. It was/is a great boat. And it was a great introduction into new territory. If I didn't like it, I would've gotten rid of it for another I/O.

In 13', the 212x had everything I wanted, was plenty big, had tons of power and in my opinion - was the prettiest boat of the fleet. I never liked the tower on the previous AR240's.
I am still very content with my decision. I didn't want a 24'er to tow around and to store. The 212x has proven to be perfect.

Now if I was shopping today - the AR240 would've been the choice. Not because I need or want a bigger boat, but simply because she's a sweet looking ride, with the latest tech and she's surpassed the 212x in gizmos. If I have to pick between the current AR240 and the future 212x, assuming it's gonna be a smaller version of the 242X - I'm picking the 212x.

If Yamaha brass is reading this - PLEASE do not ruin the 212x by adding that hideous bimini.

Last edited:

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a fan of going for the biggest boat you can afford. That said, you need to make sure you can tow the boat with your rig. The only other concern is if you are a die hard water sports enthusiast. If so, the 212x might be a better option...or a didicated wake boat would be even better.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Don't overlook the Chaparral 223 vr or Vrx. Both can have a tower (and a nice one at that), ballast, and lots of other cool features. They also come with gps speed control, which is something you have to go to an e series in the Yamaha to get or install aftermarket in the form of perfect pass. Just an option to consider.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can tell you going from a 14 AR192 to a 15 212X was worth every penny that I lost in upgrading so quickly. If you feel you need more room than the 192, the 212 has a lot more, but the 242 has even more yet. The love I wanted to see it get was the forward swept tower but that is really not a big enough issue to me to hold things up. I can also tell you that the amount of fuel I do not use now traveling at the speeds I was afraid to in the 192 (due to fuel consumption) is well worth the upgrade IMHO.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can tell you going from a 14 AR192 to a 15 212X was worth every penny that I lost in upgrading so quickly. If you feel you need more room than the 192, the 212 has a lot more, but the 242 has even more yet. The love I wanted to see it get was the forward swept tower but that is really not a big enough issue to me to hold things up. I can also tell you that the amount of fuel I do not use now traveling at the speeds I was afraid to in the 192 (due to fuel consumption) is well worth the upgrade IMHO.
I would totally agree. If I were to upgrade - the 212X would be IT. But, at this point I think waiting a bit is warranted. Yamaha may put their new TR-1s in 21fters, that would be a game changer. Not necessarily better.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yamaha will announce the 2017 models at their dealer meeting in August. There is no guarantee that the 212 will be upgraded for 2017.

Personally I would choose a 2015+ 240 over a 212 for the additional size.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you need to decide whether you want a 24 foot boat or a 21 foot boat. I think many upgrade to get more power and 2 engines so that is why they move up from the 19 series. If you need or will want the room that comes with a 23/24 foot boat than aim for that. If you do decide that you want to go to the 21 footer and/or look at new boats, you may want to include a look at the other options out there. I spent some time looking at the Chapparals this morning and there are some great options including power, style options, electronics, etc. I think in a year or 2 this segment is going to have many configurable options/brands.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would totally agree. If I were to upgrade - the 212X would be IT. But, at this point I think waiting a bit is warranted. Yamaha may put their new TR-1s in 21fters, that would be a game changer. Not necessarily better.
I don't see them changing the X or SS to TR-1's, they may find them and bring back the 210 series etc. I know I love my twin 1.8's. :)

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
FWIW, I didn't buy my second boat first, and bought an 18' Seadoo. Kept 1 year and then bought a 24' Yammy because I knew I had to go bigger and didn't want to pick the wrong boat again. Well, now that's sold, and I have no problem if my next boat was a 21'. The 24 was more space than I ever needed, and unless I was in big water all the time, I personally have no use for a 24'. I haven't fully decided my next boat yet, but there's a good chance it's a 21. And I'll be ok with that.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Things to consider: what you're using it for, space to store it, and towing capacity.
I have a family of 4 and I make good use of the extra space in my AR240. The table is always set up, and the grill is cooking when I'm anchored. I take the kids wakeboarding and kneeboarding, but we don't take it seriously enough to want to invest in a ballast system. I appreciate and use the extra space.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm leaning towards 2017 AR210, I think for my use a 24' is just too big. I would consider what waterways you plan on boating on ( if I boated on big bodies of water on a regular basis I would get a 24'). However I primarily boat on the Wisconsin River, on a rare occasion I will go to the Madison lakes however if I'm doing that I'm not going on a windy day anyways.

IvanS

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thank you guys a lot for your comments all of them are really well appreciated.
Yeaterday I went to the show again trying to make up my mind and to get a better feelling of both boats and came back with what I think is valuable information.
1. The AR212X is indeed changing for year 2017, or at least that is what I was told by one of the salesman. It seemed the information slipped fro him.
2. The boat show price is pretty much the same as the MSRP from the Yamha Boat page :mad:
3. Im a "loyal" customer (my 1st one was bought from them) and it seemed that doesnt have any advantage, because they didnt offer me anything special. Boat show advantage right now is 2 year of Y.E.S.
My question now is in terms of price, are those prices pretty much fixed or do the have some wiggle room to play? Im a little disappointed, because my 1st boat I paid full MSRP and I was expecting a better treatment the second time around in a period of 3 years.
I came to the conclusion the reason they are very hard on their prices is because here in the Dallas/Fort Worth there is no other Yamaha Boat dealership, they own the market and that is disastrous for us.
Im going to keep searching and looking because once I pull the trigger I have to stick with it for a long time.
Thank you guys!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you guys a lot for your comments all of them are really well appreciated.
Yeaterday I went to the show again trying to make up my mind and to get a better feelling of both boats and came back with what I think is valuable information.
1. The AR212X is indeed changing for year 2017, or at least that is what I was told by one of the salesman. It seemed the information slipped fro him.
2. The boat show price is pretty much the same as the MSRP from the Yamha Boat page :mad:
3. Im a "loyal" customer (my 1st one was bought from them) and it seemed that doesnt have any advantage, because they didnt offer me anything special. Boat show advantage right now is 2 year of Y.E.S.
My question now is in terms of price, are those prices pretty much fixed or do the have some wiggle room to play? Im a little disappointed, because my 1st boat I paid full MSRP and I was expecting a better treatment the second time around in a period of 3 years.
I came to the conclusion the reason they are very hard on their prices is because here in the Dallas/Fort Worth there is no other Yamaha Boat dealership, they own the market and that is disastrous for us.
Im going to keep searching and looking because once I pull the trigger I have to stick with it for a long time.
Thank you guys!
From what I've seen, paying full msrp is standard with Yamaha unless you buy a leftover previous year model. I did have a local dealer offer me a '16 AR240 $500 off msrp, so you may can get a little off msrp depending on dealer.