• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR240 now or wait for 2017 212X

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Generally they don't take much off MSRP with current models. Left overs are a different story.
But from experience, the dealer can take care of you with other things.
Maybe a couple of discounted items or freebies - mooring cover, surf boards,
stereo upgrades, LED's. Etc.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I've seen, paying full msrp is standard with Yamaha unless you buy a leftover previous year model. I did have a local dealer offer me a '16 AR240 $500 off msrp, so you may can get a little off msrp depending on dealer.
You are more likely to get a better deal if the dealer physically has your boat on hand, as opposed to ordering one that they don't have. When shopping in March-April for a current model, I found over $5k difference between the two scenarios.
@IvanS, get quotes from all of the dealers in Texas: Texas Marine, Phil Dill, Ski Dock, Marineland Boating Center... plus any others that you find on Google.
If you are looking for efficient responses, I found Phil Dill and Marineland to be good. In my opinion, Jack Hunt from Marineland (captjack@marinelandwacoyamaha.com) was the best to work with. Tell him exactly what you want, and he'll give you the best that he can do right from the start without inviting you to dance around. If a dealer doesn't have exactly what you want in stock, ask them for their best price on the closest thing they do have in stock. I would expect that there should be some dealers in north Texas that could be motivated because many of their local lakes were out of service for much of last year's boating season due to high waters. I've seen some used 2015 24 foot models (and maybe one new one) on the lot at Texas Marine in Conroe. If you stay in Texas, you have the benefit that the dealer will likely register your trailer for you and mail you the plates. If you go out of state, I think that you'll have to do it yourself. You'll likely save yourself a few thousand by driving a few hours if a competitor has your boat on hand and is motivated to steal one out of your local dealer's back yard.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
If you have a good relationship with them, shop around within say 500 miles and see if anyone will deal with you. If you can find a similar boat at a better price give your dealer one shot for the business. If they won't work with you maybe you can make the drive somewhere. I believe in March/April they typically offer some other promos from the factory. Extended warranty beyond the 2-3 years and a couple of other things.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is some room to work. They are usually more willing to lower price on a left over but when I was looking for a new one back in October I did have a dealer willing to drop 3K from msrp on a 2016 SX240 since he didn't have any 15's left. He was the only dealer I had willingly do that with out much negotiation but if he was willing to that means there is some room to do that. Pick the boat you think you want and go for it. If you think you need the ballast get the X if you dont I would consider trying to find a left over 2015 AR240 I have seen them anywhere from 45K-49K. Based on the way price increases have come a 2017 212X is likely going to have a higher MSRP then when you could by a left over AR240 for know so you may wind up paying more for a 2017 212 the what you could buy a 240 for now.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That new 242x E is a beautiful boat. It's the 212x in a 24 footer if I'm not mistaking?

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is an interesting thread. If I were in that position here's a couple of things I'd be thinking:
1. What's you storage/towing capabilities and differences between a 21 & 24 footer? Do you have room to store it?
2. All things considered, I'd either wait to see what the 2017 21 foot boats will be or buy a 24 footer now. I stands to reason that they could be due for an update as they haven't had much attention from Yamaha these past few years. If you get a 15 or 16 24 footer, you also get the articulating keel, Connex, quiet cruise, etc. These boats have the latest in technology, which will likely keep your new boat from being old sooner.
3. As others have said, look around in the general area for another dealer who may be willing to deal. If you can save yourself $1000, it's worth a day of time to go get your boat. I'm in the Bay area and had to go to LA to get mine. Mine was an 09 bought new in 12 so that's where I had to go. If you do, take a friend who is comfortable towing, so you have the option to trade off drivers.
4. As others have said, there are a lot of other brands in the jet boat market now than there were a few years ago. It might be worth comparing the features on those as well. For me, the ability to pop those man-hole covers off and clean out the pumps is a basic requirement and thus why I choose to focus on Yamaha. For others and where they boat, this may not be as important. We all have different needs.
5. Think about what stuff -- dock lines, fenders, anchor (will the 19 work on a 24), cover -- that you can transfer from a 19 to 21 or 24 footer. Get a clear idea of what you'd need to buy new with the boat (a cover for example), and see if you can negotiate on those items.

Whatever you decide, let us know...it's an exciting thought.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Rumors of a updated 212X make me smile. I wonder if Yamaha needs help figuring out what I would be willing to buy?

IvanS

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Once again thank you very much for all of your comments and suggestions. After reading all of your advises/comments they make me realize something I was not taking into consideration and that was the storage. I was leaning and very exited about getting the new AR240 and even imagine me and my family making the trip to Bimini this Summer in it. The storage was the least of my problems when I was looking for my new boat when it should've been on top of my list. Saturday morning when I realized I didn't have a place to store the boat I head out very certain that I was going to find a place. To my surprise, there where none close to my house or one that was convenient to me with out having to travel back and forth more than 20 miles. For this reason I decided to wait a little. The city that I live in is having a tremendous grow at a fast pace, and as I write this they are building two new storages 1.5 miles from my house. Im hoping at least one of them will offer parking garage. This was a good lesson for me and showed me, that when you are going to make a decision of 10,12,15 year commitment you cannot do it quickly, and you have to be more analytic, and look a thing of every angle. The positive outcome of all this is that I feel more prepare and more informed. Definitely for my next shopping spree the first thing in my list will be all the logistics involving the storage of boat.
Thank y'all

Last edited:

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I think I am going to trade my 2013 AR240 in for the the new 2017 212X. From what I hear it will have everything I want.

From what I understand it will have a similar layout as the 24 series. The major reason I went with the 24 was the head compartment and the compartment under the helm console.

Love the features in the new 24 e-series but the cost is too much compared to other brands quality. Hopefully the 212x will have the features at a reduced cost.

IvanS

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
If your source is good, it may be worth the wait. I never pulled the trigger on the AR240 because I really wanted to see how the 212X will come. I've always the 212X but the current model is screaming "update"

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So what is expected for 2017 212x and what would it's price be?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was at a dealership on Friday and tried to prod from them any details on the 2017 21' boats. I could tell he couldn't say much but he did indicate that a refresh was coming but it was not going to be a huge makeover like adding Connext electronics or things like that. Of course he could have been downplaying me. My guesses are:
  • The keel will be added (let's face it the 21' boats are the only new boats without a keel of some type)
  • Some BNG's (bold new graphics)
  • Maybe new interior fabric design/layout
  • Possibly a new tower design (the current one is a pain and not as nice looking as the newer forward swept towers)
  • Maybe we will see a return of the SX and AR to fill in more price gaps between the 19 and 24' boats
Who knows...

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is my situation. I made the mistake of buying my first boat and not my second boat as any beginner should do. (Now more than ever I think when fences to buy your "first" boat you should buy the second you would buy) I went last weekend to Dallas Boat Expo and fell in love with the new AR240. For some time over I have been tempted to get a bigger boat, not that I have outgrown my AR192, but I'm getting ready for the future. Last summer, when it was decided that I wanted a bigger boat I started reading and seeking information about the AR212X and I thought that would be my next boat. When in September the new 2016 arrive and realize that the 212x's did not get any love I was very disappointed. Now I have the uncertainty whether I should wait to see how the 2017 AR212X comes or if I just should buy the AR240 and avoid some headaches in the future.
I know Im going to get a hit (lose a lot of money) with this trade, but Im willing to take it only once not twice.
Any advice?
I just put deposit on 2017 AR192 sight unseen.. Will await further details.

Joshua Knight

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just put deposit on 2017 AR192 sight unseen.. Will await further details.
Ive had trouble finding a 2016 ar192. Thinking about waiting for a 2017 like you. Have you heard anything about it being updated, or price? Keep us updated.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I actually seriously considered buying a used AR190/AR192 before I found my 2013 212x mainly because I wanted to stay under certain amount. I had some $ figure in my mind based on my new boat I purchased in late 90s. I was shocked at where the price of the boats were at now compared to what I paid then. :eek:

What is the issue with single engine? I'm sure you get less power but with these boats being lighter wouldn't it be sufficient for doing water sports and things with small family?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know that 'issue' is the right word. There is no problem with the single engines. But they are not as much power, so fewer people on board, less top speed, etc. Personally I also like the second engine as a backup.