• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR240 VS 242S

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are the changes between the AR240 and the 242S. Looking at 19+ model years.

I know the SE and X get the electronic throttles and bigger bimini. What does the $10k get you to upgrade to the S?

I have tried searching but haven’t had much luck.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Same tower as the SE and X, but not the large bimini. Better stereo / swim deck speakers, Better upholstery. Wash down shower (I can’t remember)?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same tower as the SE and X, but not the large bimini. Better stereo / swim deck speakers, Better upholstery. Wash down shower (I can’t remember)?
Would you say it’s worth the 10k upgrade?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Would you say it’s worth the 10k upgrade?
Well, I went in looking at an AR, and the wife said we're getting the blue X.....

Does the Limited S have different colors in the upholstery? That was the biggest reason she liked the X. She wanted that 3rd color in the seats (well that... and the large bimini). And, I don't have enough time (nor the inclination) to do all those major mods (sound system and ballast) on my own. So, it was worth it to us to just get the boat that already had all that stuff.

Whether it's worth it to you, is going to be a personal decision. It sure seems like almost everyone we see here with an AR has upgraded the sound system in some fashion. 'Course, like anything... could just be that the guys leaving it alone don't post about that as much. :)

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you boat in salt water? If so I had polks in my last boat. Loved them but they only lasted one season. The other thing ppl complain about is the water pump to the shower. It is under powered so they upgrade it. Both boats are nice but I know i and most ppl can’t leave it stock. Always wanting to add or upgrade stuff on it. It’s all up to you in the end.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Btw AR240 speakers are horrible. I only went out once before I replaced all the speakers and added more.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also, a big hunk of that difference could be in the tower. The bigger tower is attached to the boat differently, and possibly more secure. (At least not dependent on the same style screw knob to keep the tower upright.) The tower and large bimini is $10k by itself. I can't imagine that the bimini frame on the SE or X is all that expensive. But, who knows.

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
12" Connext, extra lighting (dock, tower, etc) tweeters in tower. My wife just liked the trim better. I like the tower retention better. Not sure if it's still worth $10k but we still went with the Limited S (Now the 242S)

Toby

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cushions on lower swim platform backs.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Speakers are my biggest complaint on the AR. I looked at a S when I bought my AR but the AR wasn’t there, I didn’t realize that the AR didn’t have the swim deck speakers. Even if I turned them all the way up it was hard to hear them behind the boat at the sandbar. I installed just tower speakers with a amp, 100x better. Cabin speakers will be a future/more money project. Wife wanted to bigger top, but it wasn’t worth 10g to me. Umbrella in the table holder out back did the trick. I could have cared less about the bigger screen and extra trim color. E throttles would have been nice. I would say if you have the money and are willing spend it get the S. If you have a stricter budget maybe not. Other thing I learned over the years with other vehicles is the more fancy accessories you have the more that can break over time. For us the AR fitted our needs and wallet a little bit better.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input. My original plan was the AR and then upgrading speakers, perfect pass, wakebooster and ballast for surfing, and adding a simrad in place of the phone holder.

I’ll have to look at the tower to compare.

I don’t plan to do much salt. I do have bimini on the future plans list though.

I think I’m going to be looking for a used one in the off season so it may just depend which one I get the better deal on or can find.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
242SE and 242X have GPS cruise control (akin to Perfect Pass) as well. We went looking for an AR240, couldn't find one, and decided to go all-in on the 242SE and get most of what my upgrade plans were anyway (plus the large bimini - honestly, none of us can imagine being without it; worth every penny).