• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR250 New Owner

gardug0213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up my 2021 Yamaha AR250. This is my first jet drive boat and I'm excited to get out on the water and start the break in. My twin boys caught the surfing bug on a friends boat last year, so I eventually want to get it set up for surfing. One problem is that there are no Yamaha WakeBoosters for sale...backorder! Also, my cover is on backorder...so I am stuck with the shipping cover that ripped on the way home and is now duct-taped together!

Anyone have real surf experience behind this specific boat? I's like to hear from people already surfing this new hull design. What are the necessities in order of importance? I know the basics of what is needed...ballast, shaper, speed control. I'm looking for details on real experience. Thanks everyone!

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Need a transom 800 water bag - FATSAC (custom for Yamaha’s and optional center water bag from FATSAC (or a few heavy friends). We do it all day long on 2016 242 - my 190lb boy can wakeesued for hours without a rope. But the wakebooster is a huge help. Then place rpms to 6300-6500 and speed at about 10-10.5 and it’s great. Wont be mistaken for a super air nautique wave - but definitely good enough to wake surf ropeless all day long

gardug0213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need a transom 800 water bag - FATSAC (custom for Yamaha’s and optional center water bag from FATSAC (or a few heavy friends). We do it all day long on 2016 242 - my 190lb boy can wakeesued for hours without a rope. But the wakebooster is a huge help. Then place rpms to 6300-6500 and speed at about 10-10.5 and it’s great. Wont be mistaken for a super air nautique wave - but definitely good enough to wake surf ropeless all day long
Do you have a speed control...or just manual on the throttle? I am going to start with a ballast bag on the swim platform and try to find a WakeBooster...then build up from there.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That should be enough. Get a centerline bag as well from FATSAC.
I throttle up to about 9 mph (6000 rpms) and then use the no wake cruise buttons to adjust rpms by 500 increments to get the speed to about 9.8 to 10.4 mph. Works great. I also have an iPhone mounted on a cup holder mount with a speed app to show the one-tenth increments of speed as it helps keep you at the exact speed

gardug0213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That should be enough. Get a centerline bag as well from FATSAC.
I throttle up to about 9 mph (6000 rpms) and then use the no wake cruise buttons to adjust rpms by 500 increments to get the speed to about 9.8 to 10.4 mph. Works great. I also have an iPhone mounted on a cup holder mount with a speed app to show the one-tenth increments of speed as it helps keep you at the exact speed
Thanks again for the advice. The built in cruise assist sounds like a good start. I have obtained a Yamaha WakeBooster...and have my eye on a locker and swim platform bags. I will start there and see what else is needed to be consistent in the wave.

gardug0213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have recommendations on a wakesurf board for yamaha wakes. Looking for a beginner board for smaller waves...would like a board that can handle various rider weights from teen to adult.

Looking at the:

Hyperlite Landlock Wakesurfer
Slingshot Coster
Slingshot Coster XR

Any suggestions or thought?

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought the Slingshot Mothership. Went out for the first session yesterday and everyone got up and surfed it. Hit and miss with the other boards we brought. Wave was justok since it was the first try to surf behind boat. Have to get it dialed in.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have recommendations on a wakesurf board for yamaha wakes. Looking for a beginner board for smaller waves...would like a board that can handle various rider weights from teen to adult.

Looking at the:

Hyperlite Landlock Wakesurfer
Slingshot Coster
Slingshot Coster XR

Any suggestions or thought?
I would be happy to help with a recommendation. I'm a Slingshot dealer and a Yamaha owner/surfer.

How are you setting up your AR250 for surfing? Adding ballast? WakeBooster or Wake Wedge?

What will be the weight range of the riders be?

We have both models of the 2020 Coasters in stock. All our 2020 Slingshot boards are on clearance 30% and free shipping.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought the Slingshot Mothership. Went out for the first session yesterday and everyone got up and surfed it. Hit and miss with the other boards we brought. Wave was justok since it was the first try to surf behind boat. Have to get it dialed in.
The Mothership looks awesome. What size riders were you able to get up on it. Did you go with the 5'2" or 5'6" size?

gardug0213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would be happy to help with a recommendation. I'm a Slingshot dealer and a Yamaha owner/surfer.

How are you setting up your AR250 for surfing? Adding ballast? WakeBooster or Wake Wedge?

What will be the weight range of the riders be?

We have both models of the 2020 Coasters in stock. All our 2020 Slingshot boards are on clearance 30% and free shipping.
Thanks for offering board selection assistance @J-RAD! I have twin 14 year olds @ 135# and I am 200#. That is the general range of riders. The AR250 surf setup will utilize a Yamaha WakeBooster and approximately 750# ballast in the ski locker and 750# on the swim platform. What do you think is a good fit for us?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for offering board selection assistance @J-RAD! I have twin 14 year olds @ 135# and I am 200#. That is the general range of riders. The AR250 surf setup will utilize a Yamaha WakeBooster and approximately 750# ballast in the ski locker and 750# on the swim platform. What do you think is a good fit for us?
Glad if I can be of some help. You should do great with a 5'0" size Coaster, either the standard model or the XR would perform well. The XR is going to be a bit lighter and stiffer due to the carbon fiber construction. I'm 5'10" and ~200lbs and it's my preference.

The Coaster is a great handling board and more versatile than the Landlock. It's a hybrid skim style surfboard that has surf style handling. With the three fins the handling is predictable and responsive. By removing the fins you can loosen up the ride and pull some spin and shuv type tricks. It's a great beginner board, but will progress along with your riding.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Jared

4michael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The Mothership looks awesome. What size riders were you able to get up on it. Did you go with the 5'2" or 5'6" size?
I am a newbie weigh 209 and stood up first try. Other rider was 150lbs. He is an experienced and chose to ride this over the other boar we had on the boat, slingshot coaster. Third guy was 220. He had no preference. The coaster also worked for all but was less forgiving.l but more manuverable.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am a newbie weigh 209 and stood up first try. Other rider was 150lbs. He is an experienced and chose to ride this over the other boar we had on the boat, slingshot coaster. Third guy was 220. He had no preference. The coaster also worked for all but was less forgiving.l but more manuverable.
Both very different board designs for different styles of riding. The Mothership is a classic "longboard", they're buoyant and carry a lot of speed, make long turns and a chill ride. The Coaster is primarily a "skim style", they gave it a surf style nose to make it a bit more forgiving, a bottom that's near flat for maximum surface area and speed, shaped to transition in a spin. Boards like the Cobra Cat and the new Gremlin are a "Surf Style" genre, these are very dynamic sharp handling boards that get a lot of drive from the fins.

Everyone should have one of each in my opinion. Each has its own characteristics to appreciate. I love'em all!

gardug0213

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad if I can be of some help. You should do great with a 5'0" size Coaster, either the standard model or the XR would perform well. The XR is going to be a bit lighter and stiffer due to the carbon fiber construction. I'm 5'10" and ~200lbs and it's my preference.

The Coaster is a great handling board and more versatile than the Landlock. It's a hybrid skim style surfboard that has surf style handling. With the three fins the handling is predictable and responsive. By removing the fins you can loosen up the ride and pull some spin and shuv type tricks. It's a great beginner board, but will progress along with your riding.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

Jared
Thanks for the suggestion