• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ASP (Aerial Surf Platform)-like device for Yamaha?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the kicker though.
Not much talk about it, but the Switchblade system has actually been specifically developed, in part, to "capture" and redirect the water stream (or jet?, hehe) coming off the props/also dual props in order to help shape the wake. It has some built-in wiggle room for turning, also takes some real skills to master the operation.

S0 - who knows - we may be sitting in the right boats after all, as long as the power of the jets can be harnessed productively.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Somehow, I totally missed a nice thread on the ASP here by @OrangeTJ :
https://jetboaters.net/threads/chaparral-aerial-surf-platform.4990/
IDK how I missed it... :oops: Sorry, @OrangeTJ!

I agree with what was said there, the ASP does not seem to work very well.
Now, courtesy of polar vortex here in STL (it's about 6deg outside...), I think I watched just about everything there is on the ASP and such, I also reviewed a bunch of Yamaha footage. I think the issue with the ASP is that, to be really effective, it would have to be adjustable and probably lowered or angled to provide more influence. That would interfere with normal boat operation, unless it was adjustable on the fly.

Which brings me back to Yamaha. The fountain of water generated by twin pumps, for example in @haknslash's vids - if you look at 3:10 and on, it is very focused, even though it is a twin (this is a still pic from the video clip he posted above):
upload_2016-12-18_19-0-38.png

With my own boat I only have wakeboarding experience, so higher speeds, but it is the same difference. For example - here - about 18-19mph here:
upload_2016-12-18_19-3-52.pngupload_2016-12-18_19-4-25.png

What I think is striking is how close together the two jet streams are. Clearly the center 3-3.5 ft across/behind the center of the stern/swim deck is where the fountain of water generates all the whitewash. If the ASP/whale tail could be lowered some foot or so below the swim deck I'm sure it would be a lot more efficient.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I know @buckbuck. Every time I look at this platform it drives me crazy.
Mine is black and almost impossible to photograph w/all the profiles, but this hull/swim platform is MADE to be added upon. The ladder bracket area could be adapted for a brace etc. jets are recessed and at the right height, and the new hulls have plenty of length in the platform.

Frankly I don't think Yamaha can afford not to design something like that ( add on or otherwise) and think of competing in the surf market. Why would they not have it already? Are they working on it?

View attachment 49162

--
@swatski Having read this thread through, I know that I am out of my league, but have to ask a question-

If knocking down the jet is the primary objective, what about something like this installed directly behind the surf side jet.
https://www.wakesurfedge.com/
Under $300-

Instead of being installed horizontally, on the opposite side of boat, install vertically, under the swim platform, on the side of the surfer. Basically to push the near jet wash, down.

Is this total craziness?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@swatski Having read this thread through, I know that I am out of my league, but have to ask a question-

If knocking down the jet is the primary objective, what about something like this installed directly behind the surf side jet.
Under $300-

Instead of being installed horizontally, on the opposite side of boat, install vertically, under the swim platform, on the side of the surfer. Basically to push the near jet wash, down.

Is this total craziness?
Because that is a convergence system and that does nothing to the jet blast with our boats. That is why Gantlin created what we did.

Edit: I don't know if there is enough room there for it to hold and too much angle will give you negative effects.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Under $300-

Is this total craziness?
That is a very clever idea, combined with a whale tail "shaper" surface.
I have been considering velcro (like in the Ronix 8.3), but why not suction cups or "suckgate"...? (as it is affectionately called on wake forums, LOL).

Now, just to be sure - the Wake Wedge works, and it is well developed by the guys here. Anything else is probably just drawings at this stage, I know mine are. If anyone is ready to surf now, get the Wake Wedge!
(NOT to be confused with Power Wedge - designed by Malibu for a totally different purpose - to increase displacement without ballast)

--