• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake Surf Suggestions

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks! We were in the main body, depth finder said around 18 feet. We will get it to the right speed and try that slight turn. Appreciate the information!
Like already stated - get the boat up and at speed while watching the wake before jumping in the water. Then you can make adjustments to human ballast, listing, etc., before you get up to a sub-par wave.

Here's what a good wave can look right with the right ballast, speed control, and a shaper.

Wave 5.jpeg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You don't need a slight turn using the Wake Wedge..... just get to the right speed with the correct wedge angle.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You don't need a slight turn using the Wake Wedge..... just get to the right speed with the correct wedge angle.
Nor do you need one for the wake booster. Can stay ropless even with a non-surf side turn if you keep in the pocket.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I stand corrected on the turn. It works on our boat without the wake shaping devices. So it's nice to know both of those eliminate the need for the turn, as it's not always feasible.

Matthew, how did it go this past weekend? It looked like you got out quite a bit.

Quick tip, when someone wants to ski, and there is too much spray, move your passengers out of the bow. I noticed when Jennifer was skiing, the entire tribe was in the bow, except for the driver. This pushed both jets out of the water, and created a pile of spray. I saw she was not even crossing the wake due to the amount of spray.

That may help you, but it was obvious the fam was digging the bow!

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I stand corrected on the turn. It works on our boat without the wake shaping devices. So it's nice to know both of those eliminate the need for the turn, as it's not always feasible.

Matthew, how did it go this past weekend? It looked like you got out quite a bit.

Quick tip, when someone wants to ski, and there is too much spray, move your passengers out of the bow. I noticed when Jennifer was skiing, the entire tribe was in the bow, except for the driver. This pushed both jets out of the water, and created a pile of spray. I saw she was not even crossing the wake due to the amount of spray.

That may help you, but it was obvious the fam was digging the bow!
I know will has the jet wash deflector, shouldnt this help with that scenario? Almost like a full sized wakewedge knocking both down.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know will has the jet wash deflector, shouldnt this help with that scenario? Almost like a full sized wakewedge knocking both down.
I wish it did, but the jetwash deflector does nothing above surf speeds as it does not touch the water when on plane. I have used both the white and older generation black deflectors. And neither offer any spray knock down on plane. The TV wake does to an extent, but I honestly think it creates more mist up close. But they do knock down spray for tubing and boarding.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I wish it did, but the jetwash deflector does nothing above surf speeds as it does not touch the water when on plane. I have used both the white and older generation black deflectors. And neither offer any spray knock down on plane. The TV wake does to an extent, but I honestly think it creates more mist up close. But they do knock down spray for tubing and boarding.
Wonder if there's a way to make an add on to the jet nozzles user activated flap that directs jets a lil down. Wouldn't need much influence, similar to what will did with the tv wake

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wonder if there's a way to make an add on to the jet nozzles user activated flap that directs jets a lil down. Wouldn't need much influence, similar to what will did with the tv wake
It's really not necessary. This issue is more a matter of spreading the human load around the boat more evenly. A better use of engineering time would be putting on a trimmable nozzle off the waverunners to adjust bow attitude.