• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Attaching a garmin transducer in haul

Jr Rodriguez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm new to the site and if anyone has tried to install a transducer inside the hull please let me know how well it worked. I'm not big on fishing I just mainly want it for gps and to know how deep the water is. Just ordered a garmin striker series gps/fish finder and was thinking of installing the transducer like I've seen on kayaks, just in the lowest part of the inside of the hull. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ive got 2007 230 SX my transducer is mounted inside the hull at the rear of the boat. You can get to it by removing the plastic tray around the clean out ports. Im fairly sure it is stock, but it always reads about a foot shallow

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I installed a garmin thru hull transducer in my current boat and had one installed in my last boat. They both worked fine, just be sure to follow the instructions, do the fake a lake test before you epoxy the transducer in and use epoxy not silicone. Also put the transducer infront of the intake or between them if you have two. The point being that you want it to be on undisturbed water. Oh, getting the fittings back on the exhaust, clean out plugs, etc. can be a real pita, dish soap is a great lubricator.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did this on my last boat. RTV does NOT work. Also when mixing epoxy do it very slow so as not to introduce bubbles. Clean and smooth the hull surface with a grinder. I used kids plastercine to build a dam around the transducer and then poured a lake of epoxy around the tranducer. The results were very good. I would suggest using slow cure epoxy to let any bubble rise to the surface. Cam.

Jr Rodriguez

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Daniel, that's the exact same idea and project I was thinking about the pics on the link were great insight to the project. Thanks for the help.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I "wife" ordered our Garmin 741xs with a Airmar P79 in hull transducer. I plan to install it in front of the through hull speed sensor under the bucket well. Should have results in a couple of weeks.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is "I wife ordered" ???
How do you do such a thing, I have to know.

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I ordered means wife logged into West Marine and ordered the Garmin unit I'd been slobbering about for couple of weeks!

If I could order a wife...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have got yourself a wonderful wife!
I thought it might have been a new gimmick that I never heard of for avoiding close financial scrutiny by the admiral... I need those.

su laxplayer21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a shoot through hull transducer and was never 100% happy with it. Albeit it was probably my install that was the problem. I ended up getting a transom mount transducer and I couldn't be happier. I always get a good reading, and I really like knowing the water temp. I really think it is just a preference.

AlfySande

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi..i am a new user here. In my case i installed a garmin thru hull transducer in my current boat and had one installed in my last boat. They both worked fine, just be sure to follow the instructions, do the fake a lake test before you epoxy the transducer in and use epoxy not silicone. Also put the transducer infront of the intake or between them if you have two. The point being that you want it to be on undisturbed water.

printed circuit boards assembly

Last edited: