• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Audio 101

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve been reading many of the various audio threads, and am looking for some beginner information.

Do you guys have any online tutorials for beginners. I’m looking to better understand some terminology.

X channels at Y ohms
Serial vs parallel
Proper tuning (do you really need an oscilloscope?)
Head vs remote
Various connectors

Tagging some of the more knowledgeable (and/or vocal). :)

@Mainah @redthumper9 @FloJet @swatski @Earmark Marine @jcyamaharider

Thanks!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Many here could write pages. I will cover the tuning and oscilloscope question. No you don't need an oscilloscope or smd tool but to get the most performance (volume) in an open environment like a boat and not damage amps/speakers it is a good idea. An smd tool is the easy way as it wirks kinf of like an auto ranging digital oscilloscope and just has a light to tell you once clipping instead of a screen you have to interpret. Pre-Calibrated oscilloscopes are expensive. If you can’t calibrate one yourself or check the calibration of one you borrow forget about them.

Many people chose to tune by ear. They listen for the distinct clipping sound and then back off the gains a hair. This is not as accurate as above but is better than nothing.

Once done with tuning to prevent clipping this is where you can balance the zones by backing off the gains where too loud and changing the eq to your preference.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Crutchfield has a lot of info that will help you.

You can also check for clipping with a multimeter. If you see a DC voltage to your speakers, its clipping.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Probably an easier way to start would be for you to tell us what you want in a stereo system. There are so many different routes you can go depending on your goals. Just an improvement in sound? Want it loud enough to hear clearly while underway? Want to be "that guy" at the cove or sandbar (my personal choice)? What I will say, is go with higher end equipment from the get go. Even if you have to buy it in stages, do it once and you'll save and be happier in the long run. My personal preference is either JL Audio or Wetsounds. Both are pricey, but worth it in the long run.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, just overall understanding and troubleshooting, I guess.

I’m in the process of upgrading to a ‘19 242X, which has the new wet sounds setup. I remember reading some threads where the stock wiring does some undesirable stuff with wiring speakers in series and I think the sound bar can be rewired to send some extra power to it with all existing stuff. (Both those issues were other model years)

So, I guess my short term need is just to diagnose whether the boat is wired for the best performance from the factory, or if the stock speakers need a bit more power, etc.

I’m not looking to add stuff, or spend money unnecessarily. But, if a little rewiring or one of those cheaper clarion amps that a few threads mention would help ... I would consider it.

Does that make sense?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also, added the midcabin speakers to my wishlist so would like to plan for that eventuality for next season.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, just overall understanding and troubleshooting, I guess.

I’m in the process of upgrading to a ‘19 242X, which has the new wet sounds setup. I remember reading some threads where the stock wiring does some undesirable stuff with wiring speakers in series and I think the sound bar can be rewired to send some extra power to it with all existing stuff. (Both those issues were other model years)

So, I guess my short term need is just to diagnose whether the boat is wired for the best performance from the factory, or if the stock speakers need a bit more power, etc.

I’m not looking to add stuff, or spend money unnecessarily. But, if a little rewiring or one of those cheaper clarion amps that a few threads mention would help ... I would consider it.

Does that make sense?
Those were probably my threads you were reading complaining about Yamaha wiring screw ups on my particular 2018 212X. I believe my boat, built later in the model year, suffered from a changeover from Polk amps/speakers to Wet Sounds dsp amps/speakers, where they didn't also completely change/test how they wired everything together. In talking with other forum members, one of whom bought an even later 2018 242X, his speakers were wired in parallel, and although he had a couple issues, they were much less significant and didn't require any rewiring of the system. He was able to get his DSP amp reflashed, and that took care of the concerns--an easy fix working with Wet Sounds.

If you're buying a 2019, I'm guessing it will have the latest firmware flash in it, and will sound great. The audio hardware that comes with the boat you're looking at is excellent IMO, and there should be only one set of speakers wired in parallel (the main cabin and bow speakers). Nothing is wired in series at this point, I believe. If the boat you are looking at has two Wet Sounds amps (a 6 channel and a 4 channel--not sure the name of the particular audio package option), I believe the sound bar is already separated out onto its own channels (one for right and one for left) on the amp.

I'm betting it will sound pretty good right out of the gate, and if it doesn't, you can get the system reflashed before taking delivery.

Jeff

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was reading your thread, @JDRacing and also @jcyamaharider had info specific to the sound bar on the ‘17.

This boat does have 2 amps installed on the seat back in front of the helm. I didn’t poke my head in there yet to see much more than that.

The showroom boat I’ve been in, doesn’t have batteries in it, so haven’t actually heard/seen it do anything, yet. Lol

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 Back to your original inquiry here and knowing that you will have those new dsp amps. There is very little you can do change things yourself without tearing out everything and starting fresh. I would tend to agree with @JD racing that things have improved substantially since the 16 and 17 model years of the x series. Unless you are looking to win audio competitions, hear the music at the end of an 80ft tow rope like the speaker was next to your ear, or tick off everyone you cruise by you will likely be very happy with the stock system. The one caveat is perhaps speakers in the helm combing help quite a bit at crusing speeds for the captain and co-captain.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Cool. That’s what I’m hoping for. Not looking to blow anybody’s socks off, but spending this much money, I want it to sound like it was intended. And, add the midcabin speakers to the wishlist for future seasons. This year will be storage mods and other things that we can’t live without. :)

If I were to add those midcabin speakers, then likely would need another small amp for those, I guess? As the provided amps are likely maxed out on channels and capacity?

Edit: or, I guess would be better to pair those with whichever amp is running the bother cabin speakers and use a new amp for more segregated speakers like the swim deck or bow?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cool. That’s what I’m hoping for. Not looking to blow anybody’s socks off, but spending this much money, I want it to sound like it was intended. And, add the midcabin speakers to the wishlist for future seasons. This year will be storage mods and other things that we can’t live without. :)

If I were to add those midcabin speakers, then likely would need another small amp for those, I guess? As the provided amps are likely maxed out on channels and capacity?

Edit: or, I guess would be better to pair those with whichever amp is running the bother cabin speakers and use a new amp for more segregated speakers like the swim deck or bow?
I am not familiar with exactly how everything is wired. It could be the simplest path given all of the speakers already in the boat may be a pair of high spl 6.5 full ranges driven by the source unit assuming it has at least a 15 watt rms per channel internal amp that is not being used in the factory setup. Speaker placement helps a lot in this case where higher power may not be needed given everything else.

I am sure your system will be on par with mine. When I am done with this pre seasons round of upgrades I will have three amps two sealed subs, a pair of m880 towers, and a bunch of polk mm 6.5. The main difference being the amount of time and money I had to put into mine makes you the winner hands down.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
BigAbe, further to @Mainah's post, you may want to take a look at this thread, particularly post #4:

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2018-242x-audio-problem.20295/

Assuming that you are looking at the same setup as @BoaTN describes on his late model year 2018 242X, it looks like you could try connecting a pair of 4 ohm mid cabin speakers in parallel with the swim deck speakers. At least you could start there and see how it sounds, since it should be pretty simple to connect up mid cabin speakers in parallel with the swim deck speakers at the channel 3/4 outputs of the HTX 6. In any event, if the boat you are looking at has the same audio package as @BoaTN has, post #4 should tell you which speakers are connected to which amp/channels from the factory.

Jeff

Last edited: