• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Audio HELP-adding an amp & Towers to factory system!!!! 2019 212X (FUSION RADIO)

zwillz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
* first off, has anyone kept the factory system as is(wetsounds system as is with the dsp amp)and added their own amp for Tower speakers*?

Hello, just added a pair of rev 10 Tower speakers and a wet sounds 4 channel amp. I was under the impression after buying the fusion RCA harness adapter that it would all be pretty simple while connecting RCA's to have it play. After contacting Fusion come to find out that this is not the correct route to go when using the factory Wetsounds DSP amp and in wetsounds system. I'm reaching out to see if anyone went this route and who has figured it out. After speaking with him I guess you have to add a Fusion harness with the wire ends, and add a line out converter to run the RCA's to the amp you're wishing to run, in my case a wet sounds 4 channel amp to power my rev 10 Tower speakers. The complete install is done and complete, but I'm only getting a buzzing sound from the speakers. When I tested the amp and my tower speakers from my 3.5 phone jack with an RCA adapter connected to the amp, I had full sound. So the system is hooked up correctly. Looking for any suggestions or anyone who went this route and was able to do it with success. I added a picture of the harness that I thought I would need that does not work, and I'm also going to add a picture of the harness that I'm going to order along with the line out converter to see if anyone has thoughts with it possibly being able to work. Basically looking to run the factory wetsounds system, with an added amp and Tower speakers.
Yamaha has done a doozy in wiring the system up. Looking for any suggestions or help or tips would be great. Thx alot!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1600687852103.jpg
    FB_IMG_1600687852103.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 53
  • received_2776992052535134.jpeg
    received_2776992052535134.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20201014-194354_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201014-194354_Samsung Internet.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201014_133825.jpg
    20201014_133825.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 59
  • 20201006_193052.jpg
    20201006_193052.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 20201006_071222.jpg
    20201006_071222.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
@zwillz There's a few threads on here about wiring the stock amps. Seems Yamaha ordered the Wetsounds amps with mods to limit how people could mess with the system and cause issues. Not sure but I think the stock amp uses high-level speaker inputs instead of low-level RCA so it's not so easy.

Which amp did you buy? If it's the Wetsounds HTX-4 or similar then RCA should work fine for the towers. Leave the stock wiring alone and see if that works?

Need more details about your wiring and how you did it as the stock amp and aftermarket Wetsounds are different, but should work when connected correctly.

@zwillz There's a few threads on here about wiring the stock amps. Seems Yamaha ordered the Wetsounds amps with mods to limit how people could mess with the system and cause issues. Not sure but I think the stock amp uses high-level speaker inputs instead of low-level RCA so it's not so easy.

Which amp did you buy? If it's the Wetsounds HTX-4 or similar then RCA should work fine for the towers. Leave the stock wiring alone and see if that works?

Need more details about your wiring and how you did it as the stock amp and aftermarket Wetsounds are different, but should work when connected correctly.
Thanks for the reply. I added a syndx4 4 channel amp. I left all the factory wetsounds system alone. I purchased the RCA harness for the fusion head unit on the swim deck, but after adding RCA's I cannot get any sound out of all the boat speakers and my tower speakers. Tried all the settings snd a factory reset on the head unit and still nothing. When I switched the harness in the back of the fusion head unit none of my boat speaker's worked, but both of my tower speakers worked as they should. So I know they are hooked up correctly. But like I said, after I talk to Fusion, they think I need to add a converter along with the other harness picture I attached and wire it that way. I really don't want to do it that way, but I have no choice at this point. Any other suggestions or help would be much appreciate it. Thanks again for the quick response.

@zwillz Ok this sounds like you're unplugging the factory harness which disconnects the factory amp and speakers, and adding the tower system to replace it. If so, that would explain why no sound is coming from the factory system - it's no longer connected to the head unit? The converter might be the easiest way to get sound to the towers without changing the factory setup. My OCD would compel me to change it all! But that sounds like it'll work.
:D

@zwillz Ok this sounds like you're unplugging the factory harness which disconnects the factory amp and speakers, and adding the tower system to replace it. If so, that would explain why no sound is coming from the factory system - it's no longer connected to the head unit? The converter might be the easiest way to get sound to the towers without changing the factory setup. My OCD would compel me to change it all! But that sounds like it'll work.
:D
No sir, I kept the factory harness plugged up and added the RCA harness. When doing that(thinking thats all that was needed), there is no sound out of the towers. But when I took out the factory harness(hope this makes sense), and plugged in the rca harness I ordered, boat speakers stopped, but my towers worked.....
And tell me about it, I'm about ready to rip everything out of there and start over with a new amp to run all the factory stuff. But downloaded the Fusion app and it actually didn't sound too bad. I figured with that and the added Tower speakers it would sound great. Just got to figure this crap out. I'm OCD also and it's driving me crazy. I'm hoping that new harness I ordered with the wire ends and the converter will do the trick. I know there's someone else out there who is done a similar set up that could chime in. Hoping I can get it fixed so if someone else runs into this issue I'll be there to help. It's frustrating as hell! Lol

No sir, I kept the factory harness plugged up and added the RCA harness. When doing that(thinking thats all that was needed), there is no sound out of the towers. But when I took out the factory harness(hope this makes sense), and plugged in the rca harness I ordered, boat speakers stopped, but my towers worked.....
Ah that sounds like the protection circuit in the head unit is detecting the RCA connection and is cutting out the speaker outputs. In that case the converter will get you "fake RCA" outputs for the towers and keep the regular stock system going at the same time. Crazy way of doing things...dunno why Yamaha didn't just go with RCA outputs and a regular amp unless they were trying to protect the setup.

Let us know how it works out.

And tell me about it, I'm about ready to rip everything out of there and start over with a new amp to run all the factory stuff. But downloaded the Fusion app and it actually didn't sound too bad. I figured with that and the added Tower speakers it would sound great. Just got to figure this crap out. I'm OCD also and it's driving me crazy. I'm hoping that new harness I ordered with the wire ends and the converter will do the trick. I know there's someone else out there who is done a similar set up that could chime in. Hoping I can get it fixed so if someone else runs into this issue I'll be there to help. It's frustrating as hell! Lol
Ah that sounds like the protection circuit in the head unit is detecting the RCA connection and is cutting out the speaker outputs. In that case the converter will get you "fake RCA" outputs for the towers and keep the regular stock system going at the same time. Crazy way of doing things...dunno why Yamaha didn't just go with RCA outputs and a regular amp unless they were trying to protect the setup.

Let us know how it works out.
That's exactly what I'm thinking and warranty issues. I saw where you commented on another Thread about someone's build. They added a lot of speakers and Tower speakers but since they added their own amp they were able to use that RCA harness. Hopefully to converter and other harness I'm going to get will make it work. Still unsure how to hook that up so I'm researching a little bit. Wish I knew that from the beginning or else I would have just done that at first, but there really isn't anyone else who is doing or trying the same thing I am with the boat. I guess everyone needs a guinea pig LOL. If you can think of anything else feel free to chime in, if not I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help

That's exactly what I'm thinking and warranty issues. I saw where you commented on another Thread about someone's build. They added a lot of speakers and Tower speakers but since they added their own amp they were able to use that RCA harness. Hopefully to converter and other harness I'm going to get will make it work.
I'm not positive, but I believe the stock system uses the speaker level for inputs with a custom harness to the stock amp. If that assumption is correct, then you can tap one set of the left/right speaker lines with the converter and run RCA's to your new amp and tower speakers and then tune the input volumes to match how you want it. Do a search for wetsounds stock or something and you will find the other threads where people have modded or added to their stock Wetsounds systems and you should be able to find an answer on the speaker levels. I'm sure someone who has added to their Wetsounds system knows the answer to this question. I'd like to know too so I can help more. :)

Thx man! Yeah I read thru that earlier. I actually scoured the internet and this forum quite a bit today. I spoke with Fusion again today. Looks like I just have this other harness and splice about six or seven wires together, and use a converter to run RCA's to the amp. Shouldn't be too bad..... Hopefully the stuff will be here this weekend. Once it's all done I will report back. Hopefully this gets it so it will help others if they want to go this route. Appreciate all the help and response.

Thx man! Yeah I read thru that earlier. I actually scoured the internet and this forum quite a bit today. I spoke with Fusion again today. Looks like I just have this other harness and splice about six or seven wires together, and use a converter to run RCA's to the amp. Shouldn't be too bad..... Hopefully the stuff will be here this weekend. Once it's all done I will report back. Hopefully this gets it so it will help others if they want to go this route. Appreciate all the help and response.
Something I don't get though, just adding the RCA connection shouldn't affect the speaker line outs...they should work in tandem and be a simple add-on unless Fusion put in some kind of speaker/RCA detection that shuts one off when the other is used. Normally the RCA line outs are active all the time and are not an issue adding another amp.
Curious how this works out...

How did you end up making this work? I'm looking at adding an additional amp but keep the factory amp in place as well. 2020 212X with Fusion Head Unit

Back