• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Audio Issues With An Amp

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the JBL head unit in my boat. It has two sets of RCA audio outs for an amp, one for the front speakers and one for the rear speakers. My dilemma is that my amp needs 3 RCA inputs, one for the front, one for the back, and one for the sub. Currently, I am splitting one of my RCA audio outs from the head unit to the amp to get a total of three outputs from the head unit. However, this reduces the volume on those 2 sets.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you can run full signal to your front/rear channels with the RCA's and set the amp up without direct feed from the HU. My 700/5 didn't have amp inputs for the sub.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Correction, it did, but I didn't have any to input!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I started off with a Kicker amp. That amp did what you are indicating and could only use 2 inputs for 5 channels. I now have a MB Quart amp that doesn't seem to allow only using 2 inputs - it needs 3 - unless I am missing something.

BTW - the Kicker amp had 1 channel that didn't work, so I returned it and ended up with the MB Quart amp.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am a "follow the directions" and get "good advice" guy on the tuning and amp setup. I bet @David Analog was glad to be rid of me by the time my system was done! But I think this is a setting function Travis, not sure that amp has the capability, but mine could take the signal provided by the 4 channels, set the filters, and put out the push to the sub. I am not sure if that is best, but that is all my HU could provide. What HU do you have?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Lemme get a glass of vino!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have one of these for the head unit:

JBL MR140/145/145.2

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know the Kicker amp would do exactly as you are describing Mel. I just don't see where I can make it work on this new amp.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
OK...just set the mode to 4 ch and be done with it!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You can set that amp with a single set of rca's to supply the signal to ch 3/4 and 5. Or you can set it so that two sets of rca's can supply ch 1/2 and ch 3/4 and ch 5. Or...you can have 3 sets of rca's and 1/2 to 1/2, 3/4 to 3/4, and 5/6 to 5.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, I will retry it with 2 inputs. I was pretty certain i tried that and got no audio on the sub on channel 5. I can easily try it again though.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmmm, I will check it. I just have to reach in and plug/unplug some RCA cables.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I forgot to point this out...you have to set the mode switch, in yellow, to 4, so it will trigger the amp to provide the 5th channel with the signal from 1/2 and 3/4
Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 4.47.58 PM.png

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I was pretty certain I did what you are saying and received no audio to the sub at channel 5. However, once I had audio in to the 3rd set, it then worked. I will double check it. Right now the mode switch is on 5. I just need to do some swapping on the RCA cables and swap that to 4. Then we can see what happens. I hope it works!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Wait...I may be misreading it. You may only want to connect one set of rca's from your HU to ch 1/2, then set the mode to 2 then it provides the 1/2 signal to channels 3/4 and 5

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I was expecting that you could supply signal with either 2 or 4 selected and get signal to all 5 channels, maybe not, and you need to only use channel 1/2 input and select mode 2, and it will supply the stereo input to all 5 channels.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
this is where I need help Travis, you need to set those filters too. I don't fully understand that at face value...but you want to filter out the lows to the coaxials speakers, and let the sub take care of that frequency band...now, how to do that?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I am feeling a little inferior...everyone has music, but I can't hear my install from California! I have my work cut out for me...