• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Audio upgrade Yamaha AR250

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
My boat came with a terrible factory stereo as most of you know. I can’t control the bass from the factory head unit so I bought a new amp thinking I could tune it so the bass isn’t so heavy and distorting the speakers. After I installed the amp I realized the speakers were trash and replaced the speakers. Now it sounds 100% better but I can’t properly tune my amp bc the factory head unit has too much bass. What is everyone doing to over come that? My Harley came this way from the factory and I had to install a line leveler on it to tame the music down so my speakers wouldn’t distort after adding an after market system. I’m thinking of buying one for my boat but wanted to check here first for info on what you all have Done. Thanks for any info and here is a link to what I installed on my Harley.

Alright I figured out my amp has a built in EQ and was able to flatten it all out and tune the amp.
Next question. What is the white plastic board material that separates the compartments made of? It looks like 1/2” plywood but is some sort of composite material.

They must have changed it for the current ones. Mine is plywood... covered in stick-on carpet.

It is usually starboard or pvc board. Can be found at home depot.

It is usually starboard or pvc board. Can be found at home depot.
I was planning on building a box on the inside of the seat back for my subwoofers. I decided to just buy a prefab box on Amazon and mount it on the starboard side of the engine bay.

I didn’t want to cut 2 big holes in the fiberglass to mount my 10” subs and end up not being happy with the sound of a IB free air sub. My wife already nixed the idea of a box behind them bc of storage reasons. So I’ve decided to use the huge empty space in the engine bay on the starboard side to mount a box on the shelf. It’s a ported box and I’m hoping with the vents open to the aft of the boat and the air gaps into the seat compartments it will allow for the sound to efficiently escape and sound good. Crossing my fingers at this point but if I’m not happy with the sound I haven’t cut 2 huge holes in my brand new boat. Lol. My only concern is screwing screws through the box into the fiberglass shelf. I don’t know how big of a gap there is between it and the actual bottom hull of the boat. I obviously don’t want too long of a screw or it will come out the bottom of the boat. There is a 1” hole (approx) in the shelf with white tape over it, I’m assuming for the fresh water tank for the shower head (which mine doesn’t have). I’m going to peel that tape back and see how big of a gap I have and pray that it’s the same for the entire length of that shelf. The port side shelf has 2 batteries mounted with screws holding the battery holders in place so I should be good. Plus I’ll be adding 1 more battery since I am running 2 amps for now and a 3rd this winter when I add the tower speakers.

I’m also upgrading my AR250 sound system and went with BLUAVE ported enclosure loaded with a 10” sub. I haven’t finished installing yet but from what I’ve been told they absolutely slam and they don’t take up much room. C512C1CB-5CB8-49CB-A00A-6130AAE71869.jpeg

I’m also upgrading my AR250 sound system and went with BLUAVE ported enclosure loaded with a 10” sub. I haven’t finished installing yet but from what I’ve been told they absolutely slam and they don’t take up much room. View attachment 185065
That’s looks good and doesn’t take up room at all.
My box will be here tomorrow and I’m hoping to get it all installed this weekend but with my mother in laws celebration of life and my mothers birthday is all this weekend I’m not positive I’m going to get it done. I bought 2 10” Polk subs and all new 6.5” Polk speakers. I run the same speakers on my Harley and love them.

I contacted Yamaha yesterday and they confirmed there is no bass or treble settings on our model of boat which seems absolutely crazy to me.

Keep me updated on the sound when finished. Thanks!

My box came a day early. Hopefully I can get it installed today before the wife gets home with a honey do list. Lol

Attachments

• 9A98D435-13F7-4E21-9102-01D892B23553.jpeg
    9A98D435-13F7-4E21-9102-01D892B23553.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
My box came a day early. Hopefully I can get it installed today before the wife gets home with a honey do list. Lol
Hell Yeaaaaah, let us know how it sounds !

Well, did you get it done or did the wifey hit you up with a honeydew list first lol

Well, did you get it done or did the wifey hit you up with a honeydew list first lol
Actually no I didn’t, but not bc of honey do’s. Last night was one of those nights that absolutely nothing could go right. Lol. I’m hoping to leave work early today and sneak home and work on it though. ?
I was able to make it by Home Depot and buy my spacers though. I bought 4 round “deck to wall” spacers to keep the box up off the fiberglass for moisture reasons since it’s not a “marine” box.

Well I snuck out of work early today and got to work on the boat.
there are 2 holes in the boat covered with tape where they filled the bottom of the boat with foam. I pushed my drill bit into them to check my clearance for screws. The front hole has about 3” of clearance and the rear hole about 1.5”, so I’m good to screw the box down. But then came the problem, my measurements were off by 2” ??‍♂️ How the hell did I do that?? My box is too big to fit. There is a 3” port in the front that I’m thinking about cutting the box into 2 smaller boxes removing that 3” gap. I’m searching for smaller boxes right now online but will make the decision soon to buy different and eat the $83 box or cut it in half. I just don’t have the knowledge on boxes to know how it will effect the sound.

Cutting the box is a really bad idea. The box needs to be designed for the subs, cutting in half through a off everything.

Cutting the box is a really bad idea. The box needs to be designed for the subs, cutting in half through a off everything.
That’s what I was worried about. I found another box that’s 6” shorter. Guess I have to play the waiting game again. That’s why they say not to get in a hurry and measure twice and cut (buy) once. Lol

Is there somewhere else you can use it? Other side somewhere? Or in the bow?

Well I snuck out of work early today and got to work on the boat.
there are 2 holes in the boat covered with tape where they filled the bottom of the boat with foam. I pushed my drill bit into them to check my clearance for screws. The front hole has about 3” of clearance and the rear hole about 1.5”, so I’m good to screw the box down. But then came the problem, my measurements were off by 2” ??‍♂️ How the hell did I do that?? My box is too big to fit. There is a 3” port in the front that I’m thinking about cutting the box into 2 smaller boxes removing that 3” gap. I’m searching for smaller boxes right now online but will make the decision soon to buy different and eat the $83 box or cut it in half. I just don’t have the knowledge on boxes to know how it will effect the sound.
Ohh man, sorry to hear that. So what do you think are the holes covered up in tape are for ? My boat them also and I was like, man I hope they didn’t screw up and just threw a quick patch on. Lol

Ohh man, sorry to hear that. So what do you think are the holes covered up in tape are for ? My boat them also and I was like, man I hope they didn’t screw up and just threw a quick patch on. Lol
It appears to be from where they injected the foam between the two layers of fiberglass that make up the hull.

I finished the install late last night. It sounds great! I’ll get photos today when I get home. I ended up with 6 Polk audio 6.5” speakers 1k watt Jensen D block amp mounted in helm where factory amp was located, 2 10” Polk audio subs in a sealed enclosure mounted in the engine bay with a 1200 watt Jensen D block amp running them mounted in the port side compartment next to the battery switches.
I was able to tune the amps to the stereo at full volume with zero distortion. I’ll also include photos of my amp settings this evening.

Back