• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Automatic Bilge Conundrum

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
84336A0F-D664-4D86-8082-EAEB0001560E.jpeg 38526C48-9D93-47FF-8043-D3BF5198BC0D.jpeg F9641BC3-CA27-4E6C-B3F0-BFBF0436EAAC.jpeg Why on earth do these stupid boats not come with an automatic bilge setup for when the batteries are off or even with the house battery on??? I still love the boat, but I hate having to drill another hole and spend money on what Yamaha should have done in the first place!!! By the way, this is all rain water overnight... I tasted it to be sure! Hahaha

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If you leave the house battery on the bilge will cycle every 2-4 minutes to "sense" water and pump out any if there is any. At least that is how the '17 work maybe someone can confirm that on the '16 boats. Having said that, I think the "cycle to sense" type of pump setup is stupid as well. Sounds like the '18's went to a float type pump and it is live all the time.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you leave the house battery on the bilge will cycle every 2-4 minutes to "sense" water and pump out any if there is any. At least that is how the '17 work maybe someone can confirm that on the '16 boats. Having said that, I think the "cycle to sense" type of pump setup is stupid as well. Sounds like the '18's went to a float type pump and it is live all the time.
Yeah I thought that’s what mine was supposed to do, but that’s apparently not the case.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I thought that’s what mine was supposed to do, but that’s apparently not the case.
In my '17 AR190, I have to have the helm switch clicked to the "on" posistion for the pump to self cycle and be "automatic".

For us, if the boat is in the water, the battery and bilge switch are both on.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Were you plugs in or out? Was it so full that it was up to that level?

Not sure how your boat is, but it should be like mine, if my house battery is on then my bilge is on, unless I select to turn it off. I hear it cycle all the time.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All bilge pumps have their own pros and cons. Float switches can get blocked by debris, sensing ones can kill your battery (or be inadvertently turned off), optical ones can get fouled by oil/fuel, etc. I think the best way to go is to have two bilges. I'll be adding a float wired direct to battery in the offseason just for redundancy's sake.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Were you plugs in or out? That really isn't even enough water to be concerned about and it didn't make its way to the bilge area. So how can it pump it out if it isn't there? Or was it so full that it was up to that level?

Not sure how your boat is, but it should be like mine, if my house battery is on then my bilge is on, unless I select to turn it off. I hear it cycle all the time.
Yeah I thought I had a pic of it with the bilge pump completely submerged it was about 3 inches over it. I guess the bilge won’t cycle if the Connext screen isn’t on. When we’re chilling at the lake it’ll cycle when we’re listening to music or whatever. This was overnight at the marina.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It'll cycle with Connext off, you just need to have your house battery on.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It'll cycle with Connext off, you just need to have your house battery on.
Apparently mine doesn’t. I left it on and still came back to enough water that the pump ran for about 3-4 min when I manually turned it on. What was weird though is that when I turned the screen on I think I heard it cycle in/off for a split second but that was it. When screen came on, it was still in auto mode but when I turned the bilge on that’s when it ran the water out.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Something is wrong with your set up. The way the boat is wired from the factory utilizes the house battery to run the bilge pump. I doesn't matter the key position and it doesn't matter if the Connext screen is on or off. Do you think your pump (for some strange reason) could be wired to they System battery?

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Something is wrong with your set up. The way the boat is wired from the factory utilizes the house battery to run the bilge pump. I doesn't matter the key position and it doesn't matter if the Connext screen is on or off. Do you think your pump (for some strange reason) could be wired to they System battery?
Unfortunately no, it’ll run with the start battery off.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Apparently mine doesn’t. I left it on and still came back to enough water that the pump ran for about 3-4 min when I manually turned it on. What was weird though is that when I turned the screen on I think I heard it cycle in/off for a split second but that was it. When screen came on, it was still in auto mode but when I turned the bilge on that’s when it ran the water out.
I wonder if your pump is going bad.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is from the manual 2016 24's with connext:

"Auto Bilge" button

Tap this button or push the joystick knob to select this button to tum on the automatic bilge mode.
When the automatic bilge mode is turned on, a blue bilge-draining symbol and "AUTO" will appear on the boat Icon shown on the display.
The boat checks for accumulated bilge water every 2 minutes and the bilge pump operates to discharge the water.

TIP:

If the bilge pump operates white the main switches are turned to the off position and the battery switches are turned to the ON (green)
position, the interior lights will come on briefly every 2 minutes.

I have also confirmed this to be true on my boat.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is from the manual 2016 24's with connext:

"Auto Bilge" button

Tap this button or push the joystick knob to select this button to tum on the automatic bilge mode.
When the automatic bilge mode is turned on, a blue bilge-draining symbol and "AUTO" will appear on the boat Icon shown on the display.
The boat checks for accumulated bilge water every 2 minutes and the bilge pump operates to discharge the water.

TIP:

If the bilge pump operates white the main switches are turned to the off position and the battery switches are turned to the ON (green)
position, the interior lights will come on briefly every 2 minutes.

I have also confirmed this to be true on my boat.
Hmmm... mine must be messed up then. :(