• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Auxiliary fuel tank setups

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think many of us make longer trips from time to time and I am wondering not only about your setups, but also the legality of them.
I was under the impression that only 5 gallon cans are to be used for fuel unless itt diesel. We have this restriction for all our trucks for work, bit perhaps it's different on the water?
I have used 5 gallon setups before, but sometimes it would be nice to have 20 gallons in one container.

Lemme know what you think!
@Tyler

I dunno. ..
a plastic bag holding my fuel? Sounds scary.
Has anyone here used something like that on the back deck?

I have this 15 gallon Flo-Fast tank to bring gas to my LX since there is no gas available on my canal system:

flofast.jpg

The problem is that when I fill it up at the gas station I have to set it on the ground--it's dangerous to fill it while in the truck-- and 15 gallons is too heavy for one person to lift easily. I should have bought the two 7 1/2 gallon jug system instead. However, this particular system is of high quality and pumps, or draws, about 6 gallons a minute.

I dunno. ..
a plastic bag holding my fuel? Sounds scary.
Has anyone here used something like that on the back deck?
They are very reliable, however you do need a containment structure. Up behind the port and starboard seat backs would be a great place to stash a tank on each side of the boat. 10 gallons per side feeding into your main tank would do the trick. We used them on long distance deliveries of transpac boats. Removed them when not needed.

The jet skis going to Bimini use a soft bladder secured on their mini swimdeck at the back. I've never heard of any law that says you can't transport more than 5 gallon containers.

Transportation of fuel shall be accomplished by portable fuel cans with a maximum capacity of 5 gallons each, or cargo fuel tanks. All containers shall be properly labeled.

Gasoline shall only be transported in approved 5 gallon portable gas cans, with a limit of four (4) cans per vehicle.

Portable five (5) gallon cans transported on any Department vehicle or equipment shall be fastened in a vented box, or lashed to the body of the vehicle with web straps, using eyebolts through the side of the body backed up by a 3 inch x 3 inch x 3/16 inch steel backing plate. There shall be two eyebolt anchor points for each can.

Only steel or aluminum Type I or Type II safety cans shall be used to transport gasoline.

Cargo fuel tanks shall not exceed 150 gallon capacity per vehicle. Vehicle transporting fuel in cargo tanks of 115 gallons or more shall display either a hazardous materials placard indicating identification number NA 1993 for diesel fuel or a placard indicating 'Fuel Oil'. When empty, the placard shall not be displayed. Employees operating a placarded vehicle shall have a CDL License with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement.

Placarded vehicles transporting hazardous materials shall carry appropriate shipping papers. Shipping papers shall be within the driver's immediate reach or in a holder mounted on the driver's door. When the vehicle is unoccupied, shipping papers shall be on the driver's seat or in the holder mounted on the driver's door.

ttps://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/employee-health-safety/transporting-gasoline-diesel

Sorry I lost the h there. My phone giving me errors as I copy and pasted but that was from dot.

That's not to say some other state law wouldn't prevent this, but I'm not aware of any, at least in WI.

I saw that NY DOT rule too. But looking as it is under employee safety, I believe this applies to NY DOT vehicles and the employees driving/transporting the fuel, not the general public.

I read it as @jonw9. It sounds like it's written as a policy for employees, not a law. Also not sure if dot would have a say on boats &waterways anyway. I would check with the coast guard regs.

However, it seems to allude that no more than 5 gallon containers can be used. IMHO It would be impractical to try and pour out of a larger container than 5 gallons anyway. It doesn't restrict an additional tank being used though, just portable fuel cans over 5 gallons & more than 4 of them.

Back