• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Auxiliary Voltage Warning

JRobChicago

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have had 2015 SX190 for 4 months and running good. Tonight while cruising in no wake w radio on Low Voltage Warning alarm sounded. I cranked up the boat speed and shortly after alarm turned off. Anything I should look into or do before I take the boat back out?

We did use the radio with engine not running for about 45 minutes today.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check the battery connections for tightness. If it's a flooded cell battery, check the electrolyte levels. Use a good voltage meter to check battery voltage directly. I can tell my batteries state of charge when I hook up my battery charger...if it charges at 9 or 10 amps for more than a minute or two, I know to leave that charger on there. The magneto based charging system is really lame. It's not really capable of recharging a deeply discharged battery. I had my 2015 batteries go bad after 2 1/2 years because I wasn't really getting them fully charged. Best thing I ever did was install an onboard battery charger. You won't regret it. You can also take your battery to Auto Zone or Napa and will test it's condition for you for free.

JRobChicago

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now my dash gauges aren't working. Boat starts fine and stereo, bilge, and everything else will run fine. Tested battery and getting around 11.2.

Any other suggestions? Am I okay taking boat out on water?...or risk of it shutting down and not restarting?

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can't believe the boat started with voltage that low. I would not take your boat out until you have those gremlins resolved. You need to charge that battery ASAP with a good charger.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Charge the battery. It should be at 12.8 when engine is off for a new battery and will get less as it ages. 13.8 or higher when it is running. If it is old charge it and then test it after it starts the boat a few times, it should be above 12.2 or time to replace it. If the engine is running at a good clip and it is not over 13 volts then there is a problem with the charging system. If it is the original battery just replace it 4 years is the life span if you never want battery problems.

JRobChicago

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! Tested it again and I am getting 12.2 with engine off. Should I run engine and test it?