• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Back at the marina

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Well this is the start of the second year and the boat is back at the marina for problems. Last weekend it started throwing codes again. Just like last year they are intermittent. P0201 P0300 P0301 P04?? (Something to do with oil pressure sensor). So back to the marina again it goes.

Had an interesting conversation with the service manager and needless to say I am not confident on the long term reliability of this engine package. Last year they found loose wire in main engine circuit breaker that was supposedly causing the error codes. Now they found a loose wire somewhere else but the P0201 code is not going away. Asked about why all the loose wires and his reply was these engines have extra vibration and tend to loosen things. Then I asked him what they were doing to troubleshoot the P0201 further and his reply was they have to call BRP. According to him all they are given is a basic troubleshooting guide and no SHOP MANUAL AND WIRING DIAGRAMS are available for the motor from BRP. They are required to call BRP for technical support anytime it's something they cannot fix with the troubleshooting guide.

This is nuts and how can Chaparral agree to those terms with BRP. You can't tell me mercury or Volvo do it that way. Also when our warranty expires there is no chance for any of us to be able to fix things ourselves. I have tried calling BRP and they will not give technical support to anyone other than dealers.

Also found out that the 5 year warranty promotion we received doesn't cover the engine on the Vortex but does for all other models.

Don't get me wrong I love this boat when it is running right but I planned on keeping it a long time and now I don't know.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
that really sucks. sorry you are dealing with this all. knock on wood, my boat has not had issues. who is your dealer? Is it Munson Ski up by the Chain O Lakes or do you have someone closer to you? I ask because Munson is where I bought mine from, and the little I have had to use them post boat buy, I get the feeling that after the sale, they are not all that committed to helping you. Or at least if it is a warranty issue, then I get the feeling you get the not so caring level of service.

Tell your dealer whoever it is, to buy this BRP service manual. I have this in my wish list to buy some day, so don't know the extent of what it covers, but I think the dealer saying they can not get a shop manual is BS.
http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/genuine-brp-service-manual-150-200-250-for-chaparral-vortex-jet-boat-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

I have run across BRP online classes that are offered to dealers also that have service information on line. But, you have to have a dealer code to access that stuff. Can't locate the web address now...

Good luck and hope when you get all this fixed (and it is soon hopefully) you have a issue free rest of summer

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks I saw your post in the forum about the manual and ordered it today. Yes Munson is the only dealer in IL that sells and services the Vortex. Called other Chap dealers and they don't sell that line so they don't have to train their people on a new engine package.

I agree about the service at Munson and I don't believe for one minute that they don't have the manuals. It was just something they told me because they didn't want to work on it today. Sucks because it is a 2 hour drive one way for me to bring the boat to them. I had several conversations with them last week and was repeatedly told I would be able to talk to the tech. When I got there the tech was out on a delivery and we waited for him to get back and after waiting was told he was not available. After continuing to put my foot down the best they would do was to let me talk to the service manager. He was the one who was less than helpful and just told me outright lies to get me to leave.

The lesson out of this is I have learned to not be loyal to a brand and just buy a boat at a local marina so it is close to bring the boat back.

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
And this is the third trip to the marina and the boat is one year old and only has 45 hours.

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks I saw your post in the forum about the manual and ordered it today. Yes Munson is the only dealer in IL that sells and services the Vortex. Called other Chap dealers and they don't sell that line so they don't have to train their people on a new engine package.

I agree about the service at Munson and I don't believe for one minute that they don't have the manuals. It was just something they told me because they didn't want to work on it today. Sucks because it is a 2 hour drive one way for me to bring the boat to them. I had several conversations with them last week and was repeatedly told I would be able to talk to the tech. When I got there the tech was out on a delivery and we waited for him to get back and after waiting was told he was not available. After continuing to put my foot down the best they would do was to let me talk to the service manager. He was the one who was less than helpful and just told me outright lies to get me to leave.

The lesson out of this is I have learned to not be loyal to a brand and just buy a boat at a local marina so it is close to bring the boat back.
I start to understand why it's happening, with all the dealers, as I am having issues fixing my boat, it's impossible to find a dealer that's willing to take on a boat that's under the warranty, they all give you different Bulshit and how busy they are to deal with you, because there is little insensitive to work on a warranty boat this time of the year , and wait to get paid from the factory vs people paying (Cash is King)

They know you not going anywhere with your problems , not enough competition

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also found out that the 5 year warranty promotion we received doesn't cover the engine on the Vortex but does for all other models.
IMO, the value of the warranty is the engine coverage. It is really the only thing that scares me on a boat. As you also mentioned, when buying a new boat (similar to an auto), a huge part of the value is having the dealer close by. While I am a Yamaha owner, I have always been a Chaparral fan. It is disappointing to hear of these issues. I hope you get it worked out.

mHoups

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2017 VRX 203, took delivery on May 27th (new boat owner, 1st boat) The orientation went well, they went over everything, no problems. We take it out that evening, and the compass in the medallion is spinning around n, ne, e, se, s, etc., like the boat was a top, lol. Brought the boat home. Went out the next day, everything was good, turned the boat off to have lunch, went to start it back up and no go. It had an error code U 0300, had it towed to the launch ramp, brought it home, took it to the dealer (1hr away) they say the medallion was bad. They reloaded the software said it was good, no issues. I brought it home, went on the lake, did my 10 hours..... when I give it full - 3-4 throttle, at low speed, it revs to the moon, you have to pull back the throttle so I don't grenade the motor. Once you throttle back, you give a little more throttle and it goes, it sounds like the pump isn't getting enough water, it also only goes 33 mph. I took it to the dealer AGAIN today, they claim it's the medallion. They're calling Chap in the am to get a new one, if Chap approves.

I feel your pain man, I was super excited... now I'm just P/O'd, frustrated, etc. The few times I've had the boat in the lake, it's had an issue the same amount of times.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@mHoups sounds like you're getting cavitation when it over revs and doesn't move. I think there was an issue with the seal on the intake grates under the boat causing this. Try a search or maybe someone else can chime in on this.

mHoups

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@mHoups sounds like you're getting cavitation when it over revs and doesn't move. I think there was an issue with the seal on the intake grates under the boat causing this. Try a search or maybe someone else can chime in on this.
The grate? Where the water is sucked in just before the impeller? If that's the case, it makes more sense. The dealer said the medallion and ecm were losing communication.

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2017 VRX 203, took delivery on May 27th (new boat owner, 1st boat) The orientation went well, they went over everything, no problems. We take it out that evening, and the compass in the medallion is spinning around n, ne, e, se, s, etc., like the boat was a top, lol. Brought the boat home. Went out the next day, everything was good, turned the boat off to have lunch, went to start it back up and no go. It had an error code U 0300, had it towed to the launch ramp, brought it home, took it to the dealer (1hr away) they say the medallion was bad. They reloaded the software said it was good, no issues. I brought it home, went on the lake, did my 10 hours..... when I give it full - 3-4 throttle, at low speed, it revs to the moon, you have to pull back the throttle so I don't grenade the motor. Once you throttle back, you give a little more throttle and it goes, it sounds like the pump isn't getting enough water, it also only goes 33 mph. I took it to the dealer AGAIN today, they claim it's the medallion. They're calling Chap in the am to get a new one, if Chap approves.

I feel your pain man, I was super excited... now I'm just P/O'd, frustrated, etc. The few times I've had the boat in the lake, it's had an issue the same amount of times.
how is your lake and specially at the dock , is it clean or it has seaweed and debris . From what you described it looks like something got stock in impeller it could be very small , check if you get water in your bilge and if that's the case search for this topic in the search boxing
Engine flush/Carbon Seal Issues

mHoups

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
how is your lake and specially at the dock , is it clean or it has seaweed and debris . From what you described it looks like something got stock in impeller it could be very small , check if you get water in your bilge and if that's the case read this

The lake is really clean, no debris hardly at all. My bilge is empty, well, when I turn the pump on, no water has ever come out.

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
try not to used and not to rev the engine you will damage this carbon seal it only takes about two minutes to overheated and it will be another problem, also open your engine bay and see if its dry

Bring it to the dealer I know it's probably not the best time to have all this issues

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The overrevs could also be a throttle control issue. When I first got my boat last year it had a strange issue where the throttle had a dead spot and the marina had to reprogram the ecm to the throttle. Pretty much they had to tell the ecm where neutral was and where 100% was and then verify that in between was reading properly.

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Got an update on the boat today. Fuel injector is good and so is the wiring. ECM is bad and needs to be replaced. No ETA on a new one yet.

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Got the boat back tonight. Have not taken it out yet. It was covered under warranty but we got a receipt and if anyone is wondering a new ecm is $996 before labor.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Great. Enjoy your Father's Day weekend with it.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@ILfamilyboater
P0201 is your Injector Cylinder #3 that seems to be at fault, and that may have also caused the P0300 misfire issue.
Could also be coming from a 3Amp fuse blown in the fuse box, there is a fuse for each cylinder (injector & coil)
As far as your dealer not having Shop Manual & schematic, that's an interesting comment.
For a Chaparral dealers to be authorized to sell the Vortex line, they have to attend the Rotax training school, get the Rotax tools, carry some minimum spare parts & have the shop manual (which has the electrical schematic). Very surprising that you dealer is saying he needs to "rely" on BRP for troubeshooting.

ILfamilyboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Is there a word to describe beyond furious cause that is my mood right now. Did not make it one trip around the lake and the boat is throwing the same codes P0201 and P0261 as before. Obviously the new ecm was not the only problem. Now I have to waste another 4 hours round trip to drop the boat off for the same problem as 2 weeks ago. I am about to go over Munson and contact Chaparral directly.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Crap. Feel terrible for you. Good luck.

Bret

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Unreal - I know your in northern IL but there is another dealer in IL (Yachts to Sea) located in Nashville, IL that has treated & reacted quickly to all warranty issues on the Vortex - very knowledgeable tech staff & the customer service has been exceptional - this is beyond the sale keep that in mind. You might want to give them a call to speak to tech support Mitch or Scott about your issues - Danita is the Customer Service Manager.