• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

bad ECU due to too much oil???

Tom Kaptur

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was having issues with port side engine - smoke and fuel coming out of exhaust and hard to start. Took it to the Yamaha dealer and the technician said the problem was due to way too much oil. He said the oil got into the air box and then into the wire harness ( through the connector) and traveled through the complete harness and into the ECU. The ECU is now damaged and in result the injector for the #1 cylinder is wide open - which is causing the poor running conditions. Is this possible? Has anyone else heard of or experienced this?
The marina where I keep my boat ( not yamaha dealer) performed my oil change last May and I am questioning them for the too much oil... and asking them to pay for the $3,400 repair - two new harnesses and ECU. They do not believe the analysis of the yamaha technician and say they never heard of such a thing. Also asked why did it take so long to happen. The Y tech. said it can take that long for the oil to travel through.... and said it happens all the time.

Thank you for the help.

TheGriz

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll be following this closely. I had oil purge up through the breather in my airbox this week and shortly after my engine quit running. I did some diligence, but gave up and am awaiting feedback from my dealer.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is the first time I have heard of oil in the ECU. Water happens but never heard of oil.

You should be able to see the oil if this is the issue. Your air filter should be soaked with oil as well.

You need to create the best documentation that you can. Get photographs, preserve damaged parts, get a signed, written statement from the dealer.

The repair also seems way too expensive.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From what I have read here for many years is that a bad injector causes too much resistance in the ecu and burns something up in the ecu and rendering it bad. Oil traveling down the wire harness to the ecu and causing damage is not possible in my opinion.

As for the over filled oil level.... its a common problem that people who are not familiar with the dry sump system make. Vacuum out some oil and get those injectors tested for proper resistance. Maybe look for a local Yamaha shop?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd ask to see a picture if the ecu opened up and have oil everywhere. Sounds like bs. Oil would be everywhere for months for that to be feasible.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it's plausible to need your ECU replaced but they could chain of events backwards. Bad ECU causing injector to dump gas into engine raising gas/oil level and that mixture getting in to air box.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Tom Kaptur welcome and sorry to hear about your issue.

The bad ECU causing a stuck injector (almost always cylinder 1) has happened to several guys. As others have stated, open up the ECU, usually there's water inside that apparently gets in there. Some guys have said that it's possible that the water gets in there simply by the location it's placed in and that Yamaha has moved it over the years to better protect it.

Imho, your oil seeming to be overfilled is more that likely a sign of the stuck fuel injector. You stated that you could see unburned fuel coming out the exhaust. But unburned fuel also will pass the piston rings and find its way into the crankcase. This increases the level of the oil. If run too long (I don't know how long this would take) the increased oil level will that blow back into the air intake through the breather tube and ruin your air filter.

Other things to check. How does the viscosity of the oil feel compared to the oil in the other engine. Also, How's the oil level on the other engine? More than likely whoever changed the oil would've done the same on both engines. So that would be a good base line indicator.

Anyway, good luck with the repair. Keep us posted.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, sorry we had to meet like this,

I agree with the others, a bad injector certainly could dump fuel increasing the oil level but this would be the first time in 8 years I've ever heard of sore much oil that it overflows the breather, travels through a connector harness and back up to the ecu and causes it to fail (and we've seen some people with oil coming out their breathers before),

My opinion, find another mechanic, just because he's a Yamaha tech doesn't mean he's honest or knowledgeable.

I'd rather have someone I trust work on it (it doesn't have to be a boat dealer, a PWC shop can do it also)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think it's important to review the condition of the injectors. Subject them to a resistance test to see if they are within specs.

It's my understanding that the bad injector causes high resistance within the ecu thus causing the ecu to fail.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if there is a significant amount of fuel in the oil, you will definitely smell it on the dipstick.

Steve

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on the picture, getting oil in the ecu from oil leaking down the cable is 100%bs.

Darrell40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey all! I’m new here and am in the same boat. Lol. # 1 injector dumping gas. I do know my brother in law did over fill oil 100%. Not sure if oil got into the ecu but it is possible. (explanation)
Dodge Durango, power steering switch goes bad and fluid ends up in computer, not by spraying on it but electrical current carries it to the computer I know this because it also comes out of the radio controls and the overhead controls.
Not saying that’s what happened but still possible. That being said does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ecu and wiring harness??

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Am I understanding that they feel the oil physically moved to the ECU to fry it, or that oil contacted the pins in the plug and short circuited the ECU?

Darrell40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s what I understood from the original post

Tom Kaptur

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input, sorry I did not come back earlier but I must have missed the notifications and truthfully I forgot about this.

I ended up taking my boat to a second dealer and spoke with there Jet boat expert. He basically looked at me line the first story was complete BS. And it was- basically it was just the ECU went bad (which I guess happens often). Anyway, it was causing cylinder 1 to stay wide open which in turn was dumping extra fuel which was eventually mixing with the oil ( what is referred to making oil) and then working it’s way into the air box. It had nothing to do with too much oil and my wire harnesses were fine. The first dealer was trying to screw me and charge over 3k vs paying like $1800....

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input, sorry I did not come back earlier but I must have missed the notifications and truthfully I forgot about this.

I ended up taking my boat to a second dealer and spoke with there Jet boat expert. He basically looked at me line the first story was complete BS. And it was- basically it was just the ECU went bad (which I guess happens often). Anyway, it was causing cylinder 1 to stay wide open which in turn was dumping extra fuel which was eventually mixing with the oil ( what is referred to making oil) and then working it’s way into the air box. It had nothing to do with too much oil and my wire harnesses were fine. The first dealer was trying to screw me and charge over 3k vs paying like $1800....
Make sure they ohm test all of your injectors as a bad injector can damage your ECU by overamping.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

That sounds more like it. I’m pretty sure that’s the same signs and symptoms that would indicate an ECU issue. One thing to note. There is a possibility that a sticky injector could cause the ECU to go bad. More than likely though if it’s the #1 cylinder, it’s just the ECU. But it might be worth asking the mechanic if it would be a good idea to clean the injectors also.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Darrell40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone ever had any dealings with regulator rectifier? Just wondering if it’s worth it to go that route and have the ecm rebuilt?