• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Bad towing experiences

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Segway from another thread. For context I’m an advocate of helping fellow boaters out of I can do so without putting my crew, boat or self in danger.
I have towed and been towed many times with and on both my boat and Waverunner.

Bad experiences / learning sessions:

1. context first trip out on single engine jet boat in late October, water and air were cold but wanted to get the new to me boat on the water for the first time since buying it the day before. I got the ramp and a guy was at the bottom begging me to tow his friends 30’ cabin cruiser back to the ramp. I could see the boat 100 yards from the ramp in vegetation. Hook up but could not pull him of the vegetation, ended up drifting in to the veg and clogging my pump.Donned a life vest, cleared the intake grate, detached the tow rope and gave it back to the other boater before pushing / swimming my boat out of veg and taking off. I was wet and shivering cold for the next two hours as I wasn’t prepared to get in the water much less tow another Boat. Lesson learned, don’t try to tow a boat off the shore or on top of veg. Also if the guy that needs a tow isn’t willing to get wet to get the job done, don’t tow that boat either.

2. just left the ramp and a few guys on a 30’ sail boat flag me down. Actually another sailboat pass wes me and states a nearby boat needs to be towed. Their engine is malfunctioning and they need a tow back to the ramp. I start towing them back but it was windy and I didn’t realize that they had a big keel which was making controlling the rig difficult. I almost towed them into breakwater (large row of rocks). Got them close to the ramp and threw the tow rope back as they drifted long side of the ramp. Dude wanted me to come back and take some cash from him. I passed and continued on with my day on the water. Lesson learned, don’t tow sail boats larger than my boat which usually have giant keels or at least be aware of the effect the keel and wind will have on steering control. Also question anyone asking me to tow someone else as to why they didn’t do so.

3. not really a tow situation but … I passed a guy fishing off his boat anchored near a levy. As I passed I waived to the guy, he responded by flipping me off. I assume he didn’t like that I didn’t slow down when I passed him. On the way back in he waves me down, he can’t start his engine and needs a tow (possibly a jump start). I tell no (not because I couldn’t but remember how he first greeted me). I also told him I would let the sheriff know and they may come out to help but suggested he hide the open containers and put away the bong. He said thanks. Lesson learned (hopefully by him), karma is a bitch.

what bad towing experiences have you guys had? Any lessons learned?

I had to get towed in a time or two blown oil filter was one and a blown timing chain was another but the funny ones is when I get people unstuck from sand bars or beaches when the tide goes out.
I Had a situation about a month ago. Just east of the small bridge at Fort Desoto boat ramp there is a sand bar that depending on the tide will capture boats..
I saw a fishing style boat in the low 20 foot range with a male and female stuck on the sand bar so I pulled up and noticed the perplexing look on their faces since I was on a jet ski and he was a fisherman.
I asked if he was stuck and the answer was yes, I asked if he would like me to get him off the sand and he looked confused, I said I am going to make waves to lift your boat and you are going to get behind it and push the boat when the waves hit it and we should be able to get you free.

It took me about 10 minutes since he was really stuck but he was happy that it worked and informed me that he originally called sea tow but they wanted a fortune to get him off the sand bar.

So he cancelled them and was going to see if he could get free on his own.

From the look on his face I think he had a tough time wrapping his head around a jet ski actually got him off the sand bar and it cost him nothing, all's well that ends well.

I haven't had any bad experiences. I have helped many people and towed many boats. The experience has always made me feel good that I could help them. I always hope that if something happens to me someone will do the same for me.

I havent had any bad towing experiences of others and I've done two in the last 3 months but I whole heartily agree with watching how much you bite off.
In one of the two recent tows I towed in a submerged and flipped over small center console and felt the huge pull on my center tow rope cleat so I fashioned a heavy line between each of the stern cleats ( port and starboard) and attached the tow rope in the middle which distributed the weight to two cleats instead of the center tow rope cleat.

It also taxed the engine and when towing something with that much drag you must go slowly so as not to overheat the motor due to the smaller amount of water running through the cooling line.

I've had one bad and one good towing experience,
one of the very first trips out on our lake, fuel tank showed at least 1/4 tank, ran around for 20 minutes and then ran out of gas. luckily only about 300 yards from the dock and someone passing by in a few minutes towed us in,

The second, i was flagged down by someone stuck on a gravel bar on our lake, stopped to pull them off, I rev'd it hard but finally got them off, while retrieving our ropes and getting settled we drifted onto the gravel bar and not realizing what direction it ran when i floored it to get out, I put myself firmly on it, got off and then on the way back developed cavitation I assume from all the revving without movement while pulling him off pulled the sealant off one of the pumps

This was an experience. Overall good. Sucked up weeds and had to stop to clean out coming out of the narrow creek where the dock was picked up. 4mph at 5,800 RPM. Towed 8 miles over two hours after an hour or two of getting the dock loose. It had been wedged into place by the creek water. My parents remodeled and are enjoying the dock.

This was an experience. Overall good. Sucked up weeds and had to stop to clean out coming out of the narrow creek where the dock was picked up. 4mph at 5,800 RPM. Towed 8 miles over two hours after an hour or two of getting the dock loose. It had been wedged into place by the creek water. My parents remodeled and are enjoying the dock.

2 hours to go 8 miles sounds grueling.

I assume the dock was to big or heavy to gets its leading edge on the swim platform so you could go a little faster.

I think I would have invited everyone else on board to take a shift at the wheel.

I assume the dock was to big or heavy to gets its leading edge on the swim platform so you could go a little faster.

The dock was 44 feet long by ~20 feet wide. It had two stalls that were on opposing ends. It actually was too large to permit under current regulations but my parents only needed one stall so we cut off they removed the shorter stall and have the remaining end pointed out toward the center of the lake.

It was so stuck that I broke 3/8" ropes five or six times getting it moving.

My parents were in my Dad's 15.5' aluminum bass boat following us. Once the dock was at their house I tied his boat in the center of the larger slip and used his boat to maneuver the dock into place.

We had brought a picnic lunch for what I expected to be a long tow so we ate on the tow then went for a swim afterward.

The dock was 44 feet long by ~20 feet wide.
Wow, it’s was lot larger than the picture led me to believe. At least you had the big Bimini top deployed, 2 hours in the Sun is a lot more grueling than in the shade.

2 hours in the Sun is a lot more grueling than in the shade.

Fortunately it was October so it was an easy day. My biggest concern was whether this was bad for the boat. A summer later everything seems fine.

I went out by myself on my lake to help a deck boat that wouldn't start; they threw me a rope but by the time I got it fastened the wind pushed us too close to each other and some rocks and when I restarted my outboard the rope wrapped the prop and stalled the boat. I freed my prop and another good neighbor pulled the deck boat out of danger and back home. No good deed goes unpunished! Seriously though, I've towed many stranded boats without any issues, and had many grateful responses.

Remember it Is not safe to sit near the stern or swim platform area while underway, especially if towing or surfing since RPM’s will be high as will the CO levels and emissions. I would not have anyone sitting back there at all not only because of CO poisoning but a line could snap, cleat pop off etc.

We help out others who are stranded but always have to keep in mind to be safe about it. If we tow someone i keep a big sharp knife handy to chop the lines if the tow vessel has taken on water as you just never know if it will turn from bad to worse.

Back