• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast issues on 255xd

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Aloha,

last weekend we run into issues with my bow factory ballast, it fills up but it wont drain.
when we hit drain you don’t hear the pump running the way it does when you hit fill.
i manually drained it but not sure if is a calibration issue or a bad pump.
we live in Hawaii and the salt could cause this pump to go bad? Is just weird it will work in one direction but not on the other.
also noticed that when I fill the other 2 back ballast it also puts water on my front ballast. It still fill it up half way even if It says 0 on screen. tried disconnecting the pump and even with no power I still get water coming into ballast when other pumps are runing. Is there a valve that should prevent this from happening?

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This sounds like a classic sign you need to replace the impellor in the pump. The impellor also prevents water from back flowing into the bag when the boat is moving. Worn impellor will not work very efficiently but I've not really experienced it working one way only however I could see that happening if there is an air bubble in the line it can move past where as a new fresh impellor can move past some air. I'd order 3 of them as the other two will likely need replacing soon.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Stanfna

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
sent pm

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Question maybe you might know the answer:

After investigating a bit more i come to conclusion that pump pumps water in but it doesn't drain ballast, you can hear the pump running when in fill mode but no signs of pump running when we select drain (you can hear the other pumps running but no this one.
My next test is to check voltage on the leads when drain is activated.
My question is:
How does the pump operates between fill and drain? is there a diode or contactor built in inside the pump to determine Wich way the pump propeller should spin? I suspect this is the way it works but if so there should be some sort of communication wire between the computer and the pump, or is this a close circuit and the boat changes positive and negative leads when is filling and draining?

The reason i ask is to determine if it is the pump or there is another problem here coming from the computer or the boat itself.
I am concerned is that with the wire i will only be able to send power to pump, but how do you tell the pump when bypassed with wire which way to spin?

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
It just reverses polarity to the pump to run it backwards. So you can test it by disconnecting the pump and jumping it straight to the battery in with neg to pos and Pos to neg. If it runs in one direction you can bet it will likely run in reverse so its likely a control module issue or something like that.

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Update,

So yes nothing is wrong with the pump, for some reason the system is not sending voltage to the pump when it show on the screen that the ballast is being emptied. Spoke with my dealer and they said it could easily be looked at it if i bring it over, however i live in HI and there is no certified dealers on or techs on island. That being said i been trying to reach out to Yamaha corporate so they put me in touch with a tech that can walk me trough the troubleshooting, I am an electrician so I can easily figure this out if i will have a boat wiring diagram to know where to find things but service manual for the boat has not yet been released. Hoping Yamaha will give me a solution on this and we can find the issue.
I was able to manually empty the pump by adding some connectors and reversing the polarity while telling the ballast to fill so it will empty it, is just really annoying and inconvenient, specially when trying to change the settings for different riders.