• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Batteries, Subs and Speakers

gbrits

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First time jet boat owner. Just got a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S and I need some advice on batteries and audio.

First of all, I've read on every forum that you should have a starter battery and a house battery. When I checked mine, I have two starter batteries (Interstate Marine Cranking 24M-XHD). My first question is, should I swap out the second starter battery for a deep cycle battery to be used as the house battery? If so, what type and does it also need to be a flooded battery like the starter battery?

My second question will probably affect the first. I'm looking to upgrade my audio system on the boat. Currently I have the original audio system (6 x JL Audio 65W speakers with the 4 tweeters in the tower, no amp, no sub woofer). I would like to upgrade to 6 x 100W RMS speakers, replace the 4 tweeters with 2 tower speakers (150W RMS), add a sub (600W RMS) and three amps for max power usage of 1,950W RMS.

So question 2a: Assuming I need to replace the second starter battery with a house battery, what size battery would be best? We don't dock for hours blasting music, maybe 1 hour max with the engines off. We mainly use the audio while cruising, but given that jet boats tend to be loud, the 65W speakers with no amp just isn't cutting it.

Question 2b: Is 1,950W RMS overkill for an audio system? I do not know what the difference in sound is between 65W with no amp and 65W with amp so should I go for the 100W upgrade with amp or just keep the JL Speakers and add an amp and sub? I realize this is a matter of preference but I would like to stick with just two batteries instead of having to add a third just for the audio system.

Thanks for any advice

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First time jet boat owner. Just got a 2015 Yamaha 242 Limited S and I need some advice on batteries and audio.

First of all, I've read on every forum that you should have a starter battery and a house battery. When I checked mine, I have two starter batteries (Interstate Marine Cranking 24M-XHD). My first question is, should I swap out the second starter battery for a deep cycle battery to be used as the house battery? If so, what type and does it also need to be a flooded battery like the starter battery?

My second question will probably affect the first. I'm looking to upgrade my audio system on the boat. Currently I have the original audio system (6 x JL Audio 65W speakers with the 4 tweeters in the tower, no amp, no sub woofer). I would like to upgrade to 6 x 100W RMS speakers, replace the 4 tweeters with 2 tower speakers (150W RMS), add a sub (600W RMS) and three amps for max power usage of 1,950W RMS.

So question 2a: Assuming I need to replace the second starter battery with a house battery, what size battery would be best? We don't dock for hours blasting music, maybe 1 hour max with the engines off. We mainly use the audio while cruising, but given that jet boats tend to be loud, the 65W speakers with no amp just isn't cutting it.

Question 2b: Is 1,950W RMS overkill for an audio system? I do not know what the difference in sound is between 65W with no amp and 65W with amp so should I go for the 100W upgrade with amp or just keep the JL Speakers and add an amp and sub? I realize this is a matter of preference but I would like to stick with just two batteries instead of having to add a third just for the audio system.

Thanks for any advice
There is no such thing as overkill on a boat Audio System... :cool:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My first question is, should I swap out the second starter battery for a deep cycle battery to be used as the house battery? If so, what type and does it also need to be a flooded battery like the starter battery?
A deep cycle is not required unless you blast the tunes.
I have the original audio system (6 x JL Audio 65W
That's not the original system. Perhaps you have WetSounds speakers?
If you're not blasting tunes while floating, then a single deep cycle will be fine. I'm going into my 4th year with the stock "starting" battery for the house and it's just fine because I don't blast it while floating - we're usually talking and have background tunes.
I do not know what the difference in sound is between 65W with no amp and 65W with amp
There's a big difference in sound and output. However the stock system has an HTX-6 amp.
so should I go for the 100W
I wouldn't...you could barely hear the difference in volume between 50w and 100w contrary to what people think - double the power does NOT mean double the volume. Volume is not linear, it's logarithmic so double the power only equals 3dB of volume which is just clearly audible. A perceived doubling in volume requires 10x the power.

I suggest you confirm your audio system components. Stock is WetSounds with a detuned HTX amp. If that's changed, then you need to find out what you actually have in the boat.

gbrits

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's not the original system. Perhaps you have WetSounds speakers?
212s, thank you for your reply, in particular your comment about it not being the original system. I went and took a closer look at the whole system and found that at some point, the previous owner must've replaced the original system with a JL Audio system. I found new drill holes for all the speakers along with the original cabling tucked away behind the speakers. I also found a pair of capped 12V lines running from the battery to the cockpit behind the steering wheel which leads me to believe he removed the amp, but left the 6 JL Audio speakers before he sold the boat. I bought it from a dealer so can't go back and ask... There are six speakers in the boat; the two front speakers are on CH 1&2 and the 4 rear speakers are in parallel pairs on CH 3&4.

I'm just going to get another amp for now and put it back like I assume it used to be with the option to add two more tower speakers and 2 subs later on.

Thanks for the insight!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the stock batteries and I blast 6+ hrs every weekend without starting my boat and it never drops below 12.4 volts.