• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

batteries

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone have a recommendation for deep cycle battery? Anyone here sell batteries? I plan on starting my electrical and audio/visual upgrades in the next 2 weeks. My plan is a 2 battery setup, 1 port, 1 starboard, blue seas kit

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just went to Interstate.. something goes wrong with it, I just take it back, no issues..

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is a whole thread on batteries. I use AGM batteries, but just a good deep cycle works fine, you just have to be able to get to them to check fluid levels and condition routinely. Shipping a battery is a big cost, so finding one locally will end up being cheaper. Depending on your desire, a group 31 offers the most amp/hour capacity, and a group 27 is next, followed by your stock group 24 battery. I pulled out my stock group 24 in the Nauti Dawg, and installed two group 24 batteries, and never lacked for power combined with a Blue Sea Switch and ACR. But when you combine batteries, they need to be like size and condition. So adding a group 31, that will combine with an ACR when charging, isn't a good idea with your stock group 24. Because the bigger will have more amps to flow to the smaller when they are pretty full, and when drained, the condition is just too far different. Keeping them the same is important if you combine them. But you could just use a big group 31 or 27 for stereo, and keep the group 24 for a start battery, and not use an ACR. Up to you...

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I like the Interstate batteries. I have never had an issue using them.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I just bought optima blue tops but the reviews are mixed lately. We'll see. The 2 that I'm replacing were in the boat when I bought it 5 years ago....one might be the original 10 year old battery so they don't owe me anything.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone have a recommendation for deep cycle battery? Anyone here sell batteries? I plan on starting my electrical and audio/visual upgrades in the next 2 weeks. My plan is a 2 battery setup, 1 port, 1 starboard, blue seas kit
Excellent question:
I like Mel's ( @txav8r )answer ( above) about AGM batteries. It is worth your time to google "the benefits of AGM batteries." They have specific benefits in boats.
Please be aware NOT all on-board chargers either A) Handle them whatsoever !@ or B) Handle them automatically. You may have to make a manual setting to put the charger in the "AGM" position.

Another good choice is a OPTIMA BLUE (ie, Blue Top) Battery.

Please do let us know what you decide, @rickd01 ! And in the meantime, wishing you a great day ! Mikey Lulejian - Lale Oconee, GA

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I have seen so many bad Optima reviews and I generally dismiss those reports as a misdiagnosis. When you dig a little deeper you often find the true cause. I've regularly seen Optimas still test well after five seasons. Frankly, I've never met a bad name brand battery, only bad charging regimens.
But here is one issue to consider with Optima. A group 34 is a smaller and lighter battery than the standard group 24 so of course you will get less amp/hour reserves.
In an AGM, I like the Deka deep cycle marine. A standard group 24 will give you 79 A/Hs as compared to an Optima group 34 at 55 A/Hs, a 44% increase for a similar cost.
I have often used Optima group 34s in multiples because of the lower height allowing concealment in some nice locations that allowed more storage elsewhere. The long term performance was outstanding even in some pretty big systems.
Make sure you have enough capacity that are not routinely discharging the battery below 50% capacity.
Make sure you have no more capacity than your ability to recharge.
An ACR/VSR is awesome in so many respects but does increase your dependency on shore charging.
Just a few basics.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use interstate. If they don't make the warranty date they have always swapped them out free of charge, no pun intended!

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What model? Any problems yet?
I dunno the model.. whatever they told me to get.. no issues.. Must be a Group 27 because thats the size battery tray I bought to install it in..

Last edited:

rickd01

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have seen so many bad Optima reviews and I generally dismiss those reports as a misdiagnosis. When you dig a little deeper you often find the true cause. I've regularly seen Optimas still test well after five seasons. Frankly, I've never met a bad name brand battery, only bad charging regimens.
But here is one issue to consider with Optima. A group 34 is a smaller and lighter battery than the standard group 24 so of course you will get less amp/hour reserves.
In an AGM, I like the Deka deep cycle marine. A standard group 24 will give you 79 A/Hs as compared to an Optima group 34 at 55 A/Hs, a 44% increase for a similar cost.
I have often used Optima group 34s in multiples because of the lower height allowing concealment in some nice locations that allowed more storage elsewhere. The long term performance was outstanding even in some pretty big systems.
Make sure you have enough capacity that are not routinely discharging the battery below 50% capacity.
Make sure you have no more capacity than your ability to recharge.
An ACR/VSR is awesome in so many respects but does increase your dependency on shore charging.
Just a few basics.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SX39IIQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1425580899&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=intimidator+battery&dpPl=1&dpID=5102HG5MFxL&ref=plSrch

Is this the battery?

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Not certain. I'm looking for an 'M' designation to denote 'marine deep cycle'. Like an 8A24M for example.
Go to the EastPenn-Deka website.
West Marine may also have the same batteries under their Sea Volt line.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Please keep in mind there are only THREE (3) battery manufacturers in the U.S.
Johnson Controls (NYSE) and East Penn Manufacturing and EXIDE.

ALL batteries we discuss, talk about, love, etc, as well as ALL of the rest (excepting some batteries here is the U.S. made specifically in Japan) are made by 1 of these 3 companies.
There is gonna be a ton of "flak" about what I about to write - But virtually EVERY ONE of these batteries is similar or exactly the same as others, made by that same manufacturer.

Exide is for what we are discussing here, the least significant supplier (in terms of brand names, not quality).

NOTE: EXIDE has a wonderful youtube explanation about their MARINE AGM batteries. It will help many of you understand WHY an AGM Marine Battery may be a better choice ! See it here:

The Warranty period or terms may differ, but the actual product is the same (in almost all cases - not pun intended).
It's all "marketing" gang. As they say, "Ignornace is Bliss" - especially if you are the seller.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do those two companies do all of the remanufacturing as well? I agree they manufacture all of the NEW batteries.. however a lot of companies rebrand, rebuilt batteries for their use.. I know AutoZone, Advanced Auto, Wal-mart etc.. all do this.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is a true statement by MikeyL...except that Honda makes a civic, and they also make the top Acura. Bad analogy, because in batteries, they make batteries spec'ed for low end groups and for high end groups. All batteries are not created equal, but they all do come pretty much from 3 companies.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If someone other than the original maker is rebuilding batteries, I would stay away from those.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
By the way ........ As long as we are on the subject of "batteries" .....
and also discussing the benefits of AGM Marine batteries ............
Here is a youtube educational video - done by OPTIMA Batteries - that sure taught me something.
I threw away a year or so ago a 9-month-old AGM "house" battery (from a European car trunk) I now know was totally good. That battery cost me $265 !

This Optima video taught me what I needed to do to re-charge it. I encourage you to take a looksee.

Please do watch all the way to the end, as the "professor" gets into why you need to pay attention to what charger you use with an AGM battery, as well.

Hope you enjoy - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
You know, I have read so many times in forums about this POS or that POS. And they were often SOO dead in the wrong.
You know there are truly an infinite number of nuances responsible for battery and charger misdiagnosis. For example....
A guy has a shore charger and his bilge pump runs often or some other electronic accessory is on or a parasitic drain that draws more than an amp. The particular charger will not get back out of its float mode and into the bulk charge mode once it cycles through its three phases and until it is unplugged and plugged back in to AC power to reset. So the batteries are stone dead. The battery voltage is so low the charger doesn't recognize it is connected to a battery, sensing no current, so after the reset it still does not charge. So naturally the boat owner replaces both POS batteries plus the POS charger.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Another one that is admittedly confusing but misinterpreted...a guy looks at his charger showing that it is not 100% after the batteries have been on it for days/weeks/months. Mine for instance, a Pulsetech X2 or Xc100p, occasionally will show a reading from 75% instead of 100%. That is because the battery is actually at 99.99% or less, a common occurrence as batteries are rarely at 100% of their capacity after they are no longer new, even new they may not hold the calibrated voltage that the pulse tech is programmed to look for. But the battery is a full as it can be and nothing is wrong with it or the charger. I went through that one! All smart chargers are not smart, and all smart charger owners are not as smart as some of the chargers. A good manufacturer is a phone call away for verification or troubleshooting advice. I have spoken to Blue Sea, PulseTech, Ctek, Garmin, Fusion, JL Audio, Yamaha, Deka, and more...and some more than once. If I can't get answers from the dealer or want verification, I go there, if I can't get all I want there...I go to JETBOATERS.NET!