• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery charger/trickle charger for Winter Recommended?

GoodCubanito

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anybody recommends any specific Battery charger/trickle charger for Winter?

Thanks a lot!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had this one on my Yamaha for 7 years and I'm going to install the 3 bank version on my new Mastercraft.

The 3 bank version is on sale for less than the 2 bank version.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I've been using this one from Harbor Freight and it works great! I was going to get a NOCO Genius but after using this one for a year I don't think I will. It will do all types of batteries, AGM, Gel, Deep Cycle, Standard Acid and has an automatic microprocessor controlled trickle/storage charge. Has a quick disconnect harness that I leave on the battery. I run it 365 days a year, screen is red when charging and turns green when not. I'll probably get a bunch of flack, but it is cheap, it works great and has not harmed my battery.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a dual-bank Battery Tender. It's worked great for 8 years.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So you put the batteries in the garage all winter hooked up to a trickle charger? This will be my first off season where i have a bit of a clue and want to make sure I maintain my batteries properly.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Anybody recommends any specific Battery charger/trickle charger for Winter?

Thanks a lot!
@GoodCubanito ..... @Babin Farms ......refers you to a good thread. If not using the boat over the Winter the batteries may actually be harmed (sulfated) by being on a trickle charger, so beware! There is comprehensive information on this forum on the topic you require! :cool:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
+1 for the NOCO Genius. Reasonably priced & works.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Any SMART charger should do for winter maintaining. However if you're leaving them in the boat, you want a smart charger that is "ignition protected" so it can't ignite fumes and start a fire. In the garage it wouldn't be an issue, but in a small enclosed space like the area under the seat gases could potentially build up. Noco, Promariner, etc. all make good smart chargers that will keep your batteries in perfect shape all winter.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Any SMART charger should do for winter maintaining. However if you're leaving them in the boat, you want a smart charger that is "ignition protected" so it can't ignite fumes and start a fire. In the garage it wouldn't be an issue, but in a small enclosed space like the area under the seat gases could potentially build up. Noco, Promariner, etc. all make good smart chargers that will keep your batteries in perfect shape all winter.
@212s ..... @jEt_jAk ..... @Neutron ..... @AZMark ......agree with all the great suggestions. I have the Noco and love it. When not using my batteries for a long time (say over the Winter lay-up) I would charge them at Fall decommissioning, store them in a warm place then charge them in the Spring before use. I have never had a problem doing this. Since 2014 I have been using AGM TPPL. You charge them in the Fall and they lose so little charge over the Winter that they will fire-up the boat at recommissioning without a Spring charge although I do use an intelligent multi stage charger for my Spring recommissioning. To me "trickle charging over the Winter has so much potential for battery damage (sulfation, plate damage, off gassing etc.) and no apparent up-side, why would I do it? :cool:

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My automatic chargers which i have been using for 10 years or so recover and charge the batteries then go into float mode which just monitors the batteries and will only go back to top off the battery if it drops below a threshold. When it is charged there is no charging current being applied. All my batteries even motorcycle/jet skis batteries have lasted many years beyond what they would have if just in storage. I use all my stuff year round.

Last edited:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
My automatic chargers which i have been using for 10 years or so recover and charge the batteries then go into float mode which just monitors the batteries and will only go back to top off the battery if it drops below a threshold. When it is charged there is no charging current being applied. All my batteries even motorcycle/jet skis batteries have lasted many years beyond what they would have if just in storage. I use all my stuff year round.
@Neutron ..... aha.... the "I use my stuff all year round" is the game changer for the answer. If the battery is disconnected in the late Fall for a Winter lay-up and not used until Spring IMO putting it on a charger would be harmful to it. :) BTW .....lucky you - the all year round use!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Neutron ..... aha.... the "I use my stuff all year round" is the game changer for the answer. If the battery is disconnected in the late Fall for a Winter lay-up and not used until Spring IMO putting it on a charger would be harmful to it. :) BTW .....lucky you - the all year round use!
I did this practice even when i lived in Rhode Island.
A good smart charger doesn't run charging current all of the time.
I worked for a Harley Davidson dealer in the past and they would store bikes during the winter and we took the batteries out and were placed on a shelf and connected to a automatic tender. This is common practice so i dont know where you are getting your info from.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I did this practice even when i lived in Rhode Island.
A good smart charger doesn't run charging current all of the time.
I worked for a Harley Davidson dealer in the past and they would store bikes during the winter and we took the batteries out and were placed on a shelf and connected to a automatic tender. This is common practice so i dont know where you are getting your info from.
@Neutron ..... first no argument as I certainly recognize your right to your opinion and you will do what you deem best and so will I - just a respectful discussion. My opinion is that there is no chemical reason to continuously charge "modern" batteries if they are not being used - even sporadically. Even older style chemical batteries can be more easily damaged by trickle charging than by just leaving them alone. Charge them store them and charge them again after storage - if you want to n- mor just connect and go. Modern chemistry batteries, for example AGM and AGM TPPL do not need ANY kind of "trickle" charging. Actually "trickle" charging is NOT what modern chargers do anyway as "trickle" charging refers to a practice from at least 15 years ago that led to a lot of sulfated batteries and batteries whose ability to hold a charge continually declined. So the word "trickle" itself is not accurate. There is a wealth of information available on this topic available on the internet. I had Series 4 AGM batteries on a 2013 cruiser I had. Disconnected them in October connected them in May put the cruiser in and they fired-up twin 350 Mercruiser Magnum engines (electronically ladened) first try and showed full charge - that was without even re-charging them. In 2014 I bought a bigger cruiser with 6 AGM TPPLs - same thing except they fired-up twin High Performance 502 mercury Magnum engines (super ladened with electronics) - first try. BTW both of these boats were in enclosed but not heated storage - not freezing but not heated - so the batteries were "cold" all Winter. As for my opinion -my info comes from lengthy and repeated experience (several decades), numerous discussions with engineers at Penn Deka and Northstar and a relative who is a chemical engineer and boating enthusiast. My question is - unless a person's batteries were old technology (older series 24 flooded) why would anyone storing (not using) their batteries risk damaging them for no reason? :cool:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
ProMariner, this was my choice but as others have posted there are more options. I have the ProMariner 12 and it keeps both batteries topped off all year, no issues.

@JBehrens ....ProMariner makes superb products. I had the chargers and galvanic isolators manufactured by them on a 2013 32 foot cruiser with 4 AGM batteries and on a 2014 38 foot Cruiser with 6 AGM TPPL batteries.